Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Apr 24, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #451 of 470
Quote:

HF5 will probably be better. HF5 is single balanced armature I think, and the RE0 (replaced by the RE400 now) is a dynamic driver. The R-50 is a dual BA. They all have a analytical sound signature

Yes I know and I`m going to compare these two - REO and R-50 for semi-portable use because at home I`m perfectly fine with HD600 :)

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #452 of 470
Re0 is still a surprising iem. It's been so long since I took these out from my old iem pile. I gave it a whirl with my AK100, being a dynamic and notoriously known for sounding best amped. It sounds damn good. What an old new surprise if I may say. Ak100 and Re0 makes an odd good couple, one being a somewhat new premium player, the other an old school previous bang-for-buck iems.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #453 of 470
If interested, I have a pair of used RE0s. The left side doesn't play sound any more.

If you can recable, you can probably fix this gem. Unfortunately, I don't have the faculty to do these type of mods.

PM me if interested. Would prefer to trade for another pair of IEMs.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #454 of 470
Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in here again.  I had grabbed a spare set of RE0 when they were clearing them out just in case mine went south.  well, my originals are still going strong, so, thought I'd go a little crazy.  

I had my extra RE0 terminated with a balanced RSA connector.

I am now sitting here listening to:  Balanced CD Player --> RSA Lightning fully balanced amp --> Balanced RE0

Holy crap.  Truly astounding performance.  I have not heard Hifimans most recent flagship, but it would take a Lot to dethrone this setup.  I Love these earbuds.  they continue to blow my mind every time I put them in, and I've heard a LOT of high end setups.  

Thanks, just wanted to gush a little bit.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #455 of 470
you should probably try RE-272 , which is made for balanced listening and it is a top-notch analytical iem even in standard listening setup

i also have 262 , and i had zero/252 in the past

hifiman may be the greatest 'under the radar' universal iem company at the moment.

Quote:
  Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in here again.  I had grabbed a spare set of RE0 when they were clearing them out just in case mine went south.  well, my originals are still going strong, so, thought I'd go a little crazy.  

I had my extra RE0 terminated with a balanced RSA connector.

I am now sitting here listening to:  Balanced CD Player --> RSA Lightning fully balanced amp --> Balanced RE0

Holy crap.  Truly astounding performance.  I have not heard Hifimans most recent flagship, but it would take a Lot to dethrone this setup.  I Love these earbuds.  they continue to blow my mind every time I put them in, and I've heard a LOT of high end setups.  

Thanks, just wanted to gush a little bit.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #456 of 470
Someone posted elsewhere you can pick up the re0 for $50? Does anyone know where? I'd love to get a pair, and I'm pretty sure they are still the best sounding iem at that price point.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #457 of 470
Since the RE-0's are discontinued, is there anything else at a similar price range that is neutral and otherwise as great as these were?  If they are indeed selling for $50 somewhere, I would also indeed like to know.  Thanks!

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #458 of 470
I think they were $50 when on clearance.  I've seen them for sale used a few times.  Post a want to buy.  I've not heard the new RE series.  but I've heard that they are quite good as well.  might be worth a try.

May 21, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #459 of 470
Just picked up a pair on eBay for 50, seems to have a slight cable issue, but given how uncommon these are to find, I'm willing to take a shot. Here's hoping I like the sound. Had to laugh that someone failed to snipe at 1 second left.

May 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #462 of 470
Sweet.  I'd be curious to see if a Sansa Clip can handle them, even if not, I still have the X3 at least.

Hmm, just off an initial listen, these might replace my Ety HF5...  I'm not sure yet.  The bass feels certainly more present, which is the one drawback of the HF5 to me.

May 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #464 of 470
  remember that tip and seal are of utter importance with the re0.. with the wrong fit, they suck.

I'm fairly sure the comply tips I put on are creating a good seal, I always have discomfort issues with typical stock tips, so I've bought quite a bit of comply tips of various sizes to compensate.  They may not create the best sound, but to me it doesn't matter how good the sound is if discomfort keeps me from wanting to listen to them.

Maybe one day I'll find a high end earbud that actually performs classical quite well, then I won't have to worry about discomfort at all.

But thanks for the heads up, I listen to headphones usually, so seal doesn't always come to mind.

And on a different note...  WOW...  these are the most microphonic IEMs I've ever used.  I typically wear my IEMs down because I never really seem to have an issue with it, the exception being my Meelec M6 for obvious design reasons.  This is the first time walking my dog I had to stop and reinsert IEMs just so I could hear my music.  I guess I'm not that sensitive to microphonics if this is the first time I'm being bothered by it, just caught me by surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back