HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Jun 27, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #781 of 846
I don't find the bass of the HE-500 flabby or loose with Lyr. Emotiva must be super quick if Lyr is flabby in comparison. Or maybe you had some bad tubes.

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #782 of 846
I was half joking. I know it's hard to tell because it's the Internet.
wink.gif

And it's less than half the price of the Lyr, so this is why the Emotiva is kinda exciting. I know you love to push your 337 on Head-fi as hard as I'm pushing the Emotiva, so I'm sure you understand. It's too bad both of us don't get paid for free advertising. LOL.

Iunderstand u completely and Us being paid for advertising..that would be the day :D

But also on a serious note..i tried the lyr with some amperex (am not sure..but not standard) Tybes...and the sound was indeed a bit muffled, but the bass was there! also compared to my lesser powerfull 337

I will be going to try the emotiva out in oktober...i ask u to try a 337 or 339 with good tubes in them... Maybe they will surprise u in a good way..i was a solid state man..i hated those mellow sounding tubies..but the 337 is a whole different animal...i know i talk a lot bout it..but really..try one...it trashed my opinion bout tube amps...okay.in my opinion..most of them are still not my taste..only 2 i really really like until now with the he500.. My 337 and a decware taboo (if i am notmistaken bout the model)..both at least triple (with good tubes) the price of an emotiva....i know..but still...but i promised not to compare the emotiva with the 337 until i heard one..so until then.. :p

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #784 of 846
Quote:
wink.gif
 But yeah the Emotiva puts out 2.5 times the current of the Lyr, so the Lyr is in fact a weakling compared to it (in terms of current for planars)

But on a serious note the Emotiva is much better than the Lyr for the HE-500. The bass alone is worth it. The HE-500's bass is quite flabby/loose on the Lyr, and the Emotiva greatly reduces this one flaw. I also find the dynamics to improve across the board, and make the HE-500 sound fast and not dull and more immersive. The HE-500 might sound a bit too calm/boring on the Lyr.

And it's less than half the price of the Lyr, so this is why the Emotiva is kinda exciting. I know you love to push your 337 on Head-fi as hard as I'm pushing the Emotiva, so I'm sure you understand. It's too bad both of us don't get paid for free advertising. LOL.

That's it!  I am hooking my HE500 to my QSC that I have laying around in the garage. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #785 of 846
Quote:
I don't find the bass of the HE-500 flabby or loose with Lyr. Emotiva must be super quick if Lyr is flabby in comparison. Or maybe you had some bad tubes.

Yeah the bass actually isn't flabby. Only when compared to the LCD-2. It's much tighter than say... the HD650 or the D2000. Both of these sound sluggish and bloated/slow compared to the HE-500. But honestly, once someone pointed out the flabby HE-500 bass (RhythmDevil), I started noticing it more and more. But yeah the Emotiva really helps clean it up, but as Zoom25 says in another thread, it's still not as tight as the LCD-2, just tight enough so that it no longer is a issue for me now.

My tubes were amazing on the Lyr btw. 60s Telefunken 6922s. They were immensely better than the stock GE tubes. In fact I liked them better than the famous Lorenz tubes. I purchased multiple sets of the Telefunkens from tubemonger, when I could have purchased the Lorenz becuase I liked them more. I was there for the whole "discovery" of the Lorenz tubes by Mr. Rogers, and the crazy mad dash to buy up as many pairs as possible before tubemonger ran out (twice) The Telefunken tubes created amazing bass extension and definition, but the HE-500s themselves were somewhat flabby. Just as a point of reference the bass is also flabby on the Schiit Magni/and all Fiio products in my profile. Not a huge deal for some, but it was bothersome for me and I'm just happy the Emotiva cleaned it up.

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #787 of 846
Quote:
Yeah, the "flabby bass" attribute associated with HE500 is really, really off.

It's like saying a 6'4'' guy is short, because there are taller guys out there.

Yeah only in the NBA will that guy be consider "short" or awkward. But Summit-Fi is kind of like the NBA, so the HE-500 is held to insane standards.

I really like this analogy jerg. The HE-500's bass is like the 6'4" guy who is only "short" in the NBA.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #788 of 846
I prefer the HE-500's bass over most of the headphones that are considered to be more "accurate" in their bass response. It is a thick, weighty sound that is very engaging.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #789 of 846
Quote:
wink.gif
 But yeah the Emotiva puts out 2.5 times the current of the Lyr, so the Lyr is in fact a weakling compared to it (in terms of current for planars)

But on a serious note the Emotiva is much better than the Lyr for the HE-500. The bass alone is worth it. The HE-500's bass is quite flabby/loose on the Lyr, and the Emotiva greatly reduces this one flaw. I also find the dynamics to improve across the board, and make the HE-500 sound fast and not dull and more immersive. The HE-500 might sound a bit too calm/boring on the Lyr.

This is a really good description of what the a-100 can do compared to other lower end headphone amps. 

The amount of quality current this amp can swing at this price is a really good deal, not saying it's the best out there but I am saying - It's a really good deal.  This is what's giving you the bass control that the other lower end headphone amps can't.  Most lower end headphone amp don't have the power supply or transformers that can compete with the a-100 because it's a speaker amp and a good match for orthos. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #790 of 846
People should not get offended when it's pointed out that there are better options. Just accept that you like what you have and if the opportunity offers, try other options. The spin for popular sponsors is certainly loud and no one wants to admit they bought into it. But those who've put in the effort to experiment have stepped out of the "justification" mode and found better performance. If not for the efforts, HEs would have been buried by the Audeze and Schiit hype. Putting the HEs on more powerful amps have changed many a minds.

Speaker amps have a vast number of offerings and often cheaper than these mini amps. If you notice, the higher ended headphone amp models are becoming more like speaker amps in power. The difference is the greedy prices for a new case. With some experimenting and learning some minor technical capability, you will save yourself a lot of money and have much better satisfaction. If you don't want to learn, there's plenty of DIY help on here. But it's your money and you have the right to spend it any way you see fit. I didn't spend a dime on a new amp for my HE-6s. I had speaker amps in storage I wasn't using. I'm a very happy camper I tried it and not spent a lot more on the journey. If you don't want to spend, take your headphones to the audio stores and try them there.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #791 of 846
People should not get offended when it's pointed out that there are better options. Just accept that you like what you have and if the opportunity offers, try other options. The spin for popular sponsors is certainly loud and no one wants to admit they bought into it. But those who've put in the effort to experiment have stepped out of the "justification" mode and found better performance. If not for the efforts, HEs would have been buried by the Audeze and Schiit hype. Putting the HEs on more powerful amps have changed many a minds.

Speaker amps have a vast number of offerings and often cheaper than these mini amps. If you notice, the higher ended headphone amp models are becoming more like speaker amps in power. The difference is the greedy prices for a new case. With some experimenting and learning some minor technical capability, you will save yourself a lot of money and have much better satisfaction. If you don't want to learn, there's plenty of DIY help on here. But it's your money and you have the right to spend it any way you see fit. I didn't spend a dime on a new amp for my HE-6s. I had speaker amps in storage I wasn't using. I'm a very happy camper I tried it and not spent a lot more on the journey. If you don't want to spend, take your headphones to the audio stores and try them there.

+1 i totally agree with u..some brands have very agressive loud followers :wink:
And i agree if u have a good vintage speaker amp ....use it..sometimes it gives veryexpensive headphone amps a run for their money....

.in my case i dont have any..so my new to built amp is going to be based on the totally opamp-based Blue Circle Audio NSL speaker amp but with a power output of 'just' 5w into 50ohm and configured to be a headphone amp...so no speaker outputs but instead balanced xlr 3pins output with the transformer in an external casing connected by a xlr 4pin cable to keep the interference to a minimum. They told me it will be ready around nov/dec. Ouch!!!!:p

And i agree also on ur remark that people have to accept there are always better alternatives to what u have..no matter how expensive...just enjoy what u have and believe in..but respect other having other opinions..and dont trash others because u think ur amp is the best choice and scream that any other more expensive alternatives is just stupid as it wont improve the sound quality... :D

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #792 of 846
This is a longshot, but I actually bought the HiFiMan HE-500 and want to purchase a Fostex set next!

If anyone here is interested in buying my set, I'd be down!  I think I have it listed at $645 but am open to offers!

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #793 of 846
Quote:
What's the warranty on that Emotiva?

"This warranty commences on the date of retail purchase by the original retail purchaser and runs for a period of five years thereafter. This warranty is transferable to any person that owns the warranted product during the Term"

pretty sweet if you ask me..you guys (US) are very lucky

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #794 of 846
"This warranty commences on the date of retail purchase by the original retail purchaser and runs for a period of five years thereafter. This warranty is transferable to any person that owns the warranted product during the Term"

pretty sweet if you ask me..you guys (US) are very lucky

Impressive..but as far i can remember my luxman amp i once had a looooong looong time ago had 10years warranty if iremember it correctly..lolz...but still 5years is cool..my darkvoice..if i am not mistaken has much less warranty..and its a pain in the ass to sent it back to supplier i read on the darkvoice thread..and communication is almost impossible.. :p...and costs a fortune in postage to sent it back.....luckily my model didnt have any problems until now..:D

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #795 of 846
Quote:

Happy -
What would you recommend for a head tap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back