HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Jul 4, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #811 of 846
Originally Posted by catcherfly

Hi all,
I have a fit question with the HE-500. I use headphones primarily when I'm working in my art studio so I often have my head down at a drafting table. I also walk around the studio. With a long cable (25'), I wonder if the HE-500 would stay on my head, and not put too much strain on my neck when leaning forward with my head down. I presently use a pair of Grado SR225i.

I have never had the headphones slip off but when I tilt my head up or down they do slide around quite a bit. I don't feel comfortable leaning down to pick something up off the floor without holding them in place. I have to agree with hifimanrookie; if you often have your head down at a drafting table and are moving around a bit, I don't think the HE-500 would be the best choice.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #813 of 846
Quote:
lol I guess my head is pretty small because I have both drivers pulled all the way up. It's a very snug fit and I can see the criticism of it being uncomfortable.

If you like the sound of the velours, try some Beyer DT990 pads. Best thing you could possibly do for comfort with the HE-500.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #814 of 846
Late on my update hehe.

I got to listen to the Ultrasone PRO-750's yesterday. I forgot what bassy headphones sounded like, and really forward mids.

Back to the HE-500's.
The  HE-500 after all the time I have put on them still have just over neutral bass. It's not overly bassy but they do have great impact....not pro-750 impact but still impact. Very clear separation of the bass from the rest of the spectrum. Following a bass line on "Keep your eyes peeled" and the stones and drone voice of Josh Homme they keep up perfectly; all while the kick drum thuds like its in the room with me. Mids are fantastic if a little off set; but I did mention this in my earlier review. The mids are in no way muted or recessed...just not presented SO close to your ears; more at a natural listening distance. Have I mentioned how wonderful piano's sound on these things? It's like listing to velvet! I still think theses headphones have my favorite presentation of mids ever; the CD900's,D2000,RS-2,HFI-580,PRO-750,DT1350's,and a few others I have owned/listened to extensively just don't even come close IMO. The treble is I would say a tad recessed; not Senn-soft but not Grado-bright, some what in the middle...but still not neutral, they are fantastic as they tend to take the shoutyness out of vocals. HOWEVER; my RS-2's may be my favorite treble headphones....sorry HFI-2200, your buttery sharp highs are topped. The over all sound has gotten more relaxed than I initially remember but still holds incredible detail; I love the speed they retain; listening to my DT1350's I still say those are the most reveling headphones I have ever tried but they don't have the speed to keep up with electronic or speedmetal or other very fast pasted genres.

In short; I dig um!

Songs I have been listening too that sound fantastic on these!

Queens Of the Stone Age- Keep Your Eyes Peeled(stoner rock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kzKfwwDFRc

Iggy and the Stooges- Gimme Danger(Hardcore punk)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tp4srXRZDI

Clint Mansell- The nursery (moon OST)(classical?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01qRdN01FCU
...I just had two of these songs going....43 seconds apart; it was oddly amazing.

bonobo- 4ton mantis remix(electornic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSxPqYzc9QM

Christine/SheIsChristine- ********* Youth (the SFW video)(electornic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HadP4VUdk4

Queens of the Stone age- A Song for the Dead (stoner metal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrA2KLtAn1A

The Mars Volta-  The Widow(rock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUBQLnEGHNk

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #815 of 846
Quote:
go_quote.gif

If you like the sound of the velours, try some Beyer DT990 pads. Best thing you could possibly do for comfort with the HE-500.

Ditto for the DT770, actually Beyers are pretty good on pads.

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #816 of 846
Ditto for the DT770, actually Beyers are pretty good on pads.

I agree..i. Have a beyer mmx300 for fps gaming and for me those velours are the best pads i ever weared..and they are durable, fluffy and very important..no dust magnet..the hifiman velours are making me nuts!!! I even got to a point in putting my headphones in a closed plastic bag when not used..and still its full of dust..and that dust irritates my ears somehow on longer listening sessions..so every month i am plucking the dust out of my velours..hope they will solve that!! Others do much better on that matter...wishfull thinking i guess. :xf_eek:

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #817 of 846
I agree..i. Have a beyer mmx300 for fps gaming and for me those velours are the best pads i ever weared..and they are durable, fluffy and very important..no dust magnet..the hifiman velours are making me nuts!!! I even got to a point in putting my headphones in a closed plastic bag when not used..and still its full of dust..and that dust irritates my ears somehow on longer listening sessions..so every month i am plucking the dust out of my velours..hope they will solve that!! Others do much better on that matter...wishfull thinking i guess. :xf_eek:

Ohhh another mmx owner! We are a rare species in these parts. I quick suggestion for you: Wash your earpads with shampoo and warm water, air dry.

So when you game, not only can you now hear the call for a medic irritant free, it also smells lovely!

For weekly velour cleaning, take some packing tape, cut a 10cm strip off and then place them on your earpads and compress a bit. Repeat each area 3 times or until clean.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #819 of 846
Quote:
Ohhh another mmx owner! We are a rare species in these parts. I quick suggestion for you: Wash your earpads with shampoo and warm water, air dry.

So when you game, not only can you now hear the call for a medic irritant free, it also smells lovely!

For weekly velour cleaning, take some packing tape, cut a 10cm strip off and then place them on your earpads and compress a bit. Repeat each area 3 times or until clean.

yeah i know..very rare..like those rare cats..the lynx...but i love it sooooo much..i have it many years...and EVERY OTHER PHONE WOULD BE DEAD BY NOW IN HOW I by accident treated it sometimes...but it goes on and on...wonderfully and those baddies in the game dont know whats happening when i kill them faster then they can say OOPS... its that good in soundstaging and accurate pinpointing where the sound comes from
tongue.gif
i will never ever sell it..my wife already said that if i pass away that it will be burried with me..
rolleyes.gif
but seriously guys..this is a gem....built to endure every world war.. and sound is good... but i guess..only US...MMX300 owners know that
beerchug.gif
best thing..the pads stay clean and dust free...but those hifiman pads..
deadhorse.gif

and thanks for the cleaning tips..alse the smell good tip
tongue.gif
.i appreciate that! i will try the tape thingie... ..thanks!

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #822 of 846
I've been thinking about the HE-500, but after reading through most of this thread, and several others, it seems as if my source will not be powerful enough to drive them, and I'll need to add an amp. My present source is laptop (MBP) digital USB to Fostex HP-A3, which has a stated maximum output of 100mW(32 ohms load)/20mW(300 ohms load). Since everyone is talking about 1W minimum (sometimes much more) to drive the HE-500, my impression is that this amp is at least 10X less powerful than necessary to get the best potential sound. Of course, I haven't seen any detailed posts regarding how well these would pair.

I love the tight and clean DAC section on the Fostex HP-A3 (built around the Asahi Kasei AK4390 chip), so very much willing to keep it as a DAC/pre-amp, while adding a more powerful amp downstream to power cans that are more difficult to drive. Given that this is a technical DAC with tendencies toward tightening flabby bass and cleaning up vocals and polishing highs, what kind of amp would be the best choice for the HE-500? Something warmer, like tubes? Or would the HE-500 respond well to being powered by solid state amps that would preserve some of the technicality/tightening/cleansing ability of the DAC?

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #823 of 846
  I've been thinking about the HE-500, but after reading through most of this thread, and several others, it seems as if my source will not be powerful enough to drive them, and I'll need to add an amp. My present source is laptop (MBP) digital USB to Fostex HP-A3, which has a stated maximum output of 100mW(32 ohms load)/20mW(300 ohms load). Since everyone is talking about 1W minimum (sometimes much more) to drive the HE-500, my impression is that this amp is at least 10X less powerful than necessary to get the best potential sound. Of course, I haven't seen any detailed posts regarding how well these would pair.

I love the tight and clean DAC section on the Fostex HP-A3 (built around the Asahi Kasei AK4390 chip), so very much willing to keep it as a DAC/pre-amp, while adding a more powerful amp downstream to power cans that are more difficult to drive. Given that this is a technical DAC with tendencies toward tightening flabby bass and cleaning up vocals and polishing highs, what kind of amp would be the best choice for the HE-500? Something warmer, like tubes? Or would the HE-500 respond well to being powered by solid state amps that would preserve some of the technicality/tightening/cleansing ability of the DAC?

The HP-A3 is an excellent All-in-one portable solution for the HE-500.
This used to be my on-the-go pairing when I went to work in the US for 2.5 month last year. It never gave me the impression that I was missing anything from my home rig (NFB-3.1 + M-Stage).
I also love the clean and sweet sound of the Fostex, to the point I was considering the HP-A8 as an upgrade. I went down another path (Metrum Quad + SA-31) instead, but I could have gone either way.
I ordered the Metrum before getting the HP-A3 but there was a 2 months backorder back then. I bought the Fostex for this trip and I was amazed by its performance as a DAC compared to the Audio-GD.

The Fostex has a very high gain, which can be a problem with some headphones. I never went past 11 o'clock with the HE-500 (10 with the HE-400) as it was loud enough.
The amp section didn't fall short of what I got with the M-Stage, IMO.

Of course, the fostex won't give you the big SLAM you would experience on - say - a SA-31. It sounds smaller in scale but that's not where the pairing shines. Transparency and balance is where the synergy is, and it's a terrific one!

As an amp, the SA-31 earns my first recommandation (never heard the Lyr). But as a USB-powered DAC/Amp combo, the Fostex is perfect.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #824 of 846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back