HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Dec 31, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #631 of 846
Mine reads

R side = 36.2 ohms
L side = 36.3 ohms

again why are we taking these readings????

ALso any users managed to modify the SMC to other type types.
  this connector is so small that only small gauge cables can be used ..

anyone...

Nope..but maybe only way to go is to hardwire the hifiman..i read somewhere here on headfi a guy selling his he500 hardwired.if u do that also u can use any cable u want..maybe an idea? :D
By the way..toxic cables uses up to 18 awg thick cables with those hifiman connectors..dont ask me how they do it...but they do. :D

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #633 of 846
Quote:

yep..thats what i meant..thanks preproman.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #634 of 846
Ok so I got a multimeter and checked the readings (Thanks guys for the instructions BTW).

38.9 just about on each side. I couldn't really get a stable read on the right side, maybe cause my hands were too shaky.

My question is my multimeter only does 400 ohms, and I can't switch and it only stays in range mode. Is that ok?

According to my HE-500 manual the ohms should be at 38, so looks like I have a good pair.

What I did was stick one of the leads into the socket (above the little needle in the socket itself) and then used the other lead on the gold threads (where you normally screw on the cable).

I hope I did that correctly. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #635 of 846
Looks like you did it right. If your hands are shaky, use alligator clips to get a good contact from the probes to the jack.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #636 of 846
Quote:
Nope..but maybe only way to go is to hardwire the hifiman..i read somewhere here on headfi a guy selling his he500 hardwired.if u do that also u can use any cable u want..maybe an idea?
biggrin.gif

By the way..toxic cables uses up to 18 awg thick cables with those hifiman connectors..dont ask me how they do it...but they do.
biggrin.gif

I think, they just join a thinner cable to the end of the 18 awg cable like those giant spker cable...

Quote:

was thinking of mod it into a mini 4pin xlr so that i can share the same cable as my T1.
Never openup a can before....
Prepoman, did you DIY it???
Any video or pictures showing how you remove the can cover to access to the driver???
Maybe will try this on my He300

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #640 of 846
I have two additional questions

1.) The sticker that is on the drivers when removing the leather pads, is that fine to keep on it or does it need to be removed? I'm not near my headphones at the moment, but I think it was like 4 numbers, signifying a serial number maybe?

2.) When I replaced the leather pads with the velour, one of them did not completely click in and it seems there is a slight gap behind it. I tried taking it off and putting it back in, but still the same thing.

I might order another pair, so no big deal I guess.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #642 of 846
Quote:
I have two additional questions

1.) The sticker that is on the drivers when removing the leather pads, is that fine to keep on it or does it need to be removed? I'm not near my headphones at the moment, but I think it was like 4 numbers, signifying a serial number maybe?

2.) When I replaced the leather pads with the velour, one of them did not completely click in and it seems there is a slight gap behind it. I tried taking it off and putting it back in, but still the same thing.

I might order another pair, so no big deal I guess.

The serial sticker on the drivers signify their age/production#. so e.g. 2091849 = 2012 september 18th, #49 of the batch.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #643 of 846
Quote:
No, I didn't do it myself.  A fellow Head Fi'er too this job on.  I will release his name once he gives me the OK.  Until then, enjoy some HE-500s on me.
biggrin.gif

Those look well cool bro! Are they yours? Are they Denon or LCD pads? Did the pads change the sound much?

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #645 of 846
Quote:

Yes they belong to me, thanks.  They're stock Denon pads.  I don't notice any change in sound.  They're way more comfy though.

So, do the Denon pads sound about the same as the stock pleather, or the velours? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back