HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Dec 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #616 of 846
I am testing norn2 8 conductor cable and skuld 8x25awg cable, and i have another special skuld series cable incoming. And imho, the cables do give me different listen experience. norn2 gives a lush and fuller sound while skuld gives a wider soundstage and crystal clear signature. I was not a cable believer, but now i am and i will.

But the HE-6 is nearly twice as much as the HE-500. Yet you made the comparison all the same. So, by what you said, price shouldn’t be the differentiator in “flagship”. But if you acknowledge the Stax is better than the HE-500 then you have to acknowledge that power-draw isn’t, either. It must be down to sound in which case I don’t think anyone has been saying that, properly driven, the HE-6 isn’t as good as the HE-500. I would be very surprised that was the case given, as I mentioned just moments ago, that it costs nearly double.
I bought an after-market cable:
1. To have more than one in case something happened to my primary cable.
2. To see if a new cable could easily be moved, coiled and bent without feeling like I should be using pliers.
3. To see if I could eliminate the loud banging that would be audible in the headphone every time the cable hit anything.
4. To see if I could tell the audible difference between cables.
5. To get something that I thought visually looked nicer than the stock cable.
The result being that I now have two cables in case one breaks, my primary cable is significantly more flexible with no noise from hitting things, and that I can’t tell a major difference between cables. It also happens to look a lot nicer on my desk. So, in the end, I got a mid-range cable (it cost me around $200, I wouldn’t call it top-end) that drastically improved the ergonomics of my headphones but not necessarily the auditory characteristics, which I am satisfied with. Or, at least, what little change I could perceive I put down as much to imagination as actual audible difference.
Maybe I could have gotten some of that with a $5 cable sleeve, but the cable would still be horribly stiff and I’d still be wondering if I had ears good enough to tell one cable form another.

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #619 of 846
Easy tiger, we got the message.

I'm going to take that as recognition of being wrong. :p

Moving on...

I am testing norn2 8 conductor cable and skuld 8x25awg cable, and i have another special skuld series cable incoming. And imho, the cables do give me different listen experience. norn2 gives a lush and fuller sound while skuld gives a wider soundstage and crystal clear signature. I was not a cable believer, but now i am and i will.

Hmm. I did notice a similar change around that time, but I also changed the tubes in my amp around that time. I just attributed it to that rather than the cable. But it sounds like a similar change (personified mostly in better bass) so maybe it was partially that as well. Hmm. Might do some A/B testing after the new year when I have a little more time.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #620 of 846
Quote:
Thanks guys. I'll pick up a multimeter and see what the results are. Does anyone know the list of changes the HE-500 has been through since it first launched (like the silver cable, the box it was in, etc)?

Does anyone know this?

I am afraid I don't know the terminology about the connectors on where to use the multimeter. Anyone have pictures?

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #621 of 846
Quote:
I'm going to take that as recognition of being wrong.
tongue.gif

Wrong?  Naw, it's all good.  After all, this is a wonderful hobby and having fun is what it's all about.  
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #622 of 846
Quote:
Does anyone know this?

I am afraid I don't know the terminology about the connectors on where to use the multimeter. Anyone have pictures?

Pictures are awfully hard to come by.  I was desperately seeking pictures of the SMC connector on the bottom of the ear cup, so that I could buy the right connectors.  However, being next to impossible, I decided to change directions and try another approach, instead of the task I was set out to do.  However, to try to best answer your particular question, please allow me to try.

1) Remove your cable where they connect at the bottom of each ear cup.

2) Take a brief look at the jack where the cable was previously connected.   

3) You should see the outer (gold) portion with the threads on it.  That is one area where you will place one of the multimeter leads.

4) Now, look slightly inside of that same jack at the ear cup area.  You should see a small point in the middle,  sort of representing a "bull's eye."  This would be the area where you would place the 2nd lead.

5) Assuming your multimeter is near by, set the meter to the Ohms setting for taking a reading of the resistance.

6) Using the two probes, use the "spots" indicated in steps # 3 and # 4, for proper placement of the leads.

7) Record the value that you see on your meter.

8) Repeat steps # 2 through # 7 above, but for the other driver on the other cup of your HifiMAN headphones. I don't happen to have the exact reading that you should see - but, I do believe it should fall somewhere in between 33 and 36 Ohms.  Check your values recorded in # 7 to see if these numbers are the same for both drivers.

You should then have the answer you were seeking to get.

Best of luck,

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #623 of 846
Pictures are awfully hard to come by.  I was desperately seeking pictures of the SMC connector on the bottom of the ear cup, so that I could buy the right connectors.  However, being next to impossible, I decided to change directions and try another approach, instead of the task I was set out to do.  However, to try to best answer your particular question, please allow me to try.

3) You should see the outer (gold) portion with the threads on it.  That is one area where you will place one of the multimeter leads.

4) Now, look slightly inside of that same jack at the ear cup area.  You should see a small point in the middle,  sort of representing a "bull's eye."  This would be the area where you would place the 2nd lead.

5) Assuming your multimeter is near by, set the meter to the Ohms setting for taking a reading of the resistance.

6) Using the two probes, use the "spots" indicated in steps # 3 and # 4, for proper placement of the leads.

8) Repeat steps # 2 through # 7 above, but for the other driver on the other cup of your HifiMAN headphones. I don't happen to have the exact reading that you should see - but, I do believe it should fall somewhere in between 33 and 36 Ohms.  Check your values recorded in # 7 to see if these numbers are the same for both drivers.

Best of luck,

When people start with probes on their phones i always run and hide under covers..:D

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #624 of 846
Quote:

Best of luck,

TL;DR version:

unplug the cable, and stick 1 multimetre lead into the socket, the other lead on the outside of the socket, set multimetre to 200 Ohm setting, wait for reading to stabilize,read the reading.

Mine measured 46Ohm and 33Ohm, kinda lame. I don't detect any channel imbalance though.

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #625 of 846
Quote:
TL;DR version:

unplug the cable, and stick 1 multimetre lead into the socket, the other lead on the outside of the socket, set multimetre to 200 Ohm setting, wait for reading to stabilize,read the reading.

Mine measured 46Ohm and 33Ohm, kinda lame. I don't detect any channel imbalance though.

What does your HE-400 measure at?

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #626 of 846
Quote:
What does your HE-400 measure at?

I don't have it on hand to measure, but I imagine it would measure well since I specifically asked the guys to pick a pair with good impedance match for me.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #629 of 846
Mine reads

R side = 36.2 ohms
L side = 36.3 ohms

again why are we taking these readings????

ALso any users managed to modify the SMC to other type types.
  this connector is so small that only small gauge cables can be used ..

anyone...

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #630 of 846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back