HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Nov 6, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #436 of 846
Quote:
Haha. 
smile.gif
 Just what I've heard from others over time. No conclusive evidence. Just anecdotes.

If I experience this, I swear, I'll drop Audeze. Granted, I waited until the whole RMA issues with the veil were over with.
I'd still be darn pissed off. So I hope I don't get a dose of negative placebo. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #437 of 846
My advice is to never take a extended vacation without them. I love the LCD2r3s though. Heard about six pairs already. I think they really nailed it down in terms of consistency.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #439 of 846
If you are a basshead in the slightest, the HE400 are the way to go over the HE500. Those who aren't can always use to velour pads on the HE400. I love the HE400 bass.

If you want all the bass you can get, I recommend Barf Beyers or Ultrasone Pro900s. But I'm not sure that would be a good thing.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #440 of 846
Quote:
My advice is to never take a extended vacation without them. I love the LCD2r3s though. Heard about six pairs already. I think they really nailed it down in terms of consistency.

So you're hinting at a little placebo or an inexplicable mystery. 

Haha. Please tell me you do mean the Bamboo or new Rosewoods? LOL so confusing at times.

In regards to the R3's at consistency, it never seemed that there was an SQ issue, but more of the 
cracking issues. I think it should still bug people that the REV2's were left with those inconsistencies,
all the while the LCD-3 was being prepared for release.

Similarly, the LCD-3 veil and now anecdotes of the LCD-3 veil over time or w.e. term will be coined.
I hope an LCD-4 isn't in the works...

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #441 of 846
The ones I heard were the bamboo and a later batch of LCD2r2s. I heard some early batches which sounded very different (corroborated by others - with good ears who I trust - who happened to hear the same exact pair - but without my knowledge until later when we compared notes.) The LCD2r1 and initial r2s seemed to be all over the place.

All of the latest LCD3s have also sounded very consistent. Although I still feel the RMA'd ones earlier in the year were faster and more detailed sounding than the current consistent crop. I can confirm that there were differences in LCD3s. I have CSDs of four different iterations (all from Q1 of this year) of varying levels from most veiled to least veiled. You may probably know where to find them.

I wouldn't worry too much though if you like how yours sound. That's really what matters.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #443 of 846
Senn wins in comfort by a mile. Better pad design. The issue with the HE-500 for me is not the weight, but the clamping force and the general firmness of the earpads. I believe the use of Shure? pads may alleviate this condition. However, I don't know if they will have significant effects on the sound. I will try the Shure pads and report back.

The HE-500 is tolerable in terms of comfort. In comparison and for reference, the LCD2/3 borders on intolerable (they initially caused me some neck muscle aches and soreness in wierd muscles and tendons, like under my cheekbones or under my jawbones.) And generally I've always felt like a bobble-head or like this with the Audezes:

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #445 of 846
Yeah the senn's are always gonna be more comfortable. But having said that, a new pair of 650's do have quite a clamp themselves and really need the headband stretching depending on the size of your head. The HE500 take some adjusting to, especially because of the weight. But they are'nt that bad. As purrin said, alot of it has to do with the hard (velour) pads, but I've found that the clamp gives a little over time. FWIW the most uncomfortable headphone that I've ever used was the K702's.. and it had nothing to do with the headband. I used to get pain in my lower jaw and neck. Had no trouble like that with the hifimans or the LCD2's. Again its more a case of adjusting to the weight.

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #446 of 846
Quote:
Hmm, I'm worried that I won't be able to wear the HE-500s for hours on end like I currently do with my HD595s.

at first I wasn't able to, the 595s are way lighter and a better shape for my ears.
I've only had he500s for about a month and can now wear them for extended periods of time with only a slight adjustment every now and then.
I'm looking for something to pad the headband with and it should solve that very minor issue.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #449 of 846
Heya,

Having both the HE-400 and HE-500, I just want to point out that those who are thinking the HE-400 have "more bass" may have simply never experienced the HE-500 with enough power behind it maybe. My HE-500 is bassy as all get out, the HE-400 is bassy, but I don't find it significantly more bassy than my HE-500. The HE-500's bass is better controlled and well, everything about it is a step better. The HE-400 is an amazing value headphone, but it's not a flagship level headphone. Also, I think it's important to discern between mid-bass and sub-bass when talking about "bass" in general. Many folk do not actually like a bunch of boomy bloated sounding mid-bass heavy headphones (aka PRO900), but rather would like something with a lot better sub-bass presence (aka Denon).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back