HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Nov 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #407 of 846
Quote:
The headphone move would be an upgrade for sure.  However, I have no idea how the HE-500s would sound on the Asgard.  I would guess it'll be good to go.

I tried the HE500's with the Asgard for a while, and it was pleasant enough. What did sound really good was the mids and treble, the Asgard is a really good sounding amp for the money and is really quite refined. But more power is needed to help boost and control the lower freq's with the 500's.  

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #408 of 846
Anyone have any input about the Millett Hybrid MOSFET Max and GRUBDac being a good source/amp for the HE-500? After reading many reviews and owning a set of modded T-50RPs (and 2 sets of Grados (80i/225i))I'm yearning for more and figure this will maybe be my next step. I'm extremely happy with the output of the MOSFET Max into said Fostex' but I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this combo (or anything similar) in conjunction with the HE-500s...

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #409 of 846
I recieved my pair of these on Saturday and so far I am very impressed. These are my first taste at Ortho's so I dont really have anything to compare them too. I am not sure if its because were still in the "honeymoon" phase or not, but so far I think these could well surpass my beloved HD650 and become my favorite headphone. Still to early to say that it is, but so far its sure looking like thats going to be the case!
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #410 of 846
Quote:
I recieved my pair of these on Saturday and so far I am very impressed. These are my first taste at Ortho's so I dont really have anything to compare them too. I am not sure if its because were still in the "honeymoon" phase or not, but so far I think these could well surpass my beloved HD650 and become my favorite headphone. Still to early to say that it is, but so far its sure looking like thats going to be the case!
beerchug.gif

Congrats on the HE500's. I knew you'd like them
wink_face.gif

Keep us posted

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #411 of 846
Quote:
Congrats on the HE500's. I knew you'd like them
wink_face.gif

Keep us posted

Thank you for the impressions and recommendation. Without the help of you and tokendog, I probably wouldn't have got them. 

I am still on the stock pleather pads though. For one I want to get a true taste of them and then make the switch so I can see first hand what a difference they make and second, I am not exactly sure on how to get the pleathers off.....lol Do they just pull off or is there some special way to take them off/on? 

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #412 of 846
Quote:

Thank you for the impressions and recommendation. Without the help of you and tokendog, I probably wouldn't have got them. 

I am still on the stock pleather pads though. For one I want to get a true taste of them and then make the switch so I can see first hand what a difference they make and second, I am not exactly sure on how to get the pleathers off.....lol Do they just pull off or is there some special way to take them off/on? 

There are four tabs in the inner plastic ring (part of the underside of the earpad) that kind of wedge under the inner parts of the cups, just dig your fingers into the pad so you can sort of grasp the plastic ring, and just wedge one of those four tabs out, the other three will then easily come out. A bit of elbow-grease but very easy after you do it twice or thrice.

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #413 of 846
Quote:
There are four tabs in the inner plastic ring (part of the underside of the earpad) that kind of wedge under the inner parts of the cups, just dig your fingers into the pad so you can sort of grasp the plastic ring, and just wedge one of those four tabs out, the other three will then easily come out. A bit of elbow-grease but very easy after you do it twice or thrice.

that :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #414 of 846
Quote:

Thanks jerg, thats kind of what I thought while searching but only seen the HE-400 talked about and wasnt sure if these were different or not. I thought maybe you had to spin them to get those tabs lined up with slots or something. 

Thanks again
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #415 of 846
Quote:

Thanks jerg, thats kind of what I thought while searching but only seen the HE-400 talked about and wasnt sure if these were different or not. I thought maybe you had to spin them to get those tabs lined up with slots or something. 

Thanks again
beerchug.gif

I wish the pad installation system could be that sophisticated with HFM cans but alas they are not. Also The only things different between different Hifiman headphones is the paint colour of the cups, and the drivers, everything else is close to identical.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #416 of 846

Regarding HE400 vs HE500 (long term test drives)

Decided to put this here since I really prefer not to start threads and keep stuff I say buried in various threads where people will have a harder time finding them. This is a response to a question from the SRH1840 thread.

purrin -
Would it be fair to say that you find the HE400 v2 to be a better value purchase than the HE500 for someone who already has a flagship dynamic headphone and wants to try out planars ?  (I am getting that impression because people mention areas in which they prefer the HE400 to the HE500, the HE400 is the newer design, and yet it is only 60% of the price.)

The HE400 is a better value no doubt, but it has more flaws. (Obviously.) As I've said, the HE400 has much tighter bass than the HE500. But the mids on the HE400 can get a little wierd. It's sometimes nasal, and it just lacks that bit of refinement that the HE500's have. The scooped upper-mids of the HE400 is pleasant and forgiving, but ultimately I want to hear the snap of the snares and crash of the cymbals or bite of the violin. Over time, I find the HE400 unsatisfying in this regard. Understandably, some people do prefer this laid-back rendition, but any if any of you have ever heard some smash cymbal in your face, and you actually want that shocking effect, then the HE400 does not satisfy.

The HE400s high treble is a tad too much and perhaps a little artificial sounding, but I rather like the effect. The HE400 is very airy. But overall I feel the HE500 is a better package, sounding anywhere from dark to neutral (which is absolutely to my preference) depending upon the amp. I've lived with these two headphones for sometime and ultimately decided on the HE500. It's more balanced, and more faithfully reproduces the entire spectrum. Piano notes don't sound louder or softer as we go up the scale.

The HE500 does not do anything spectacular, e.g. it does not have the transient response of the HE5/5LE/6, the tight controlled detailed bass of the HE400, or the hyper-detail and imaging of the HD800. However it does not fugg up in any way. At its worst, is OK. Over time, I've grown to appreciate the HE500's understated qualities and it is now, far my preference. Although I feel the $799 or whatever is a bit stiff. But than again, I think everything is too expensive. IMO, if the HE500 were $599, it would be a no-brainer over the HE400.

The HE500 currently lies in my bedroom solid-state rig (Mjolnir + modded DCX2496.) The HE500 and the HP1000 are currently the only dynamic headphones I use. My reference system is the 'stats.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV. Yada Yada Yada. Anyone go ahead and feel free to quote for mark up sections where they disagree and let the world know where your opinions differ. Blah Blah Blah.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #417 of 846
Thanks for the write up! I don't see them compared enough. What you said sounds about right to me having not tried the 500's. I don't think i'll ever bring myself to buy the 500's though just because of the extra cost and already being content with the 400's (not that I wouldn't like to test drive a well-behaved 400, which is the 500!). If I ever did upgrade out of these, I think it would be the LCD2's, different from the 500's for sure, maybe not better but certainly a lot more different then paying twice the cost of my 400's for a slightly better 400 : \.

Either way I love long term reviews, i'll keep it in mind if I ever try the 500's.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #418 of 846
Quote:

Regarding HE400 vs HE500 (long term test drives)

Decided to put this here since I really prefer not to start threads and keep stuff I say buried in various threads where people will have a harder time finding them. This is a response to a question from the SRH1840 thread.

The HE400 is a better value no doubt, but it has more flaws. (Obviously.) As I've said, the HE400 has much tighter bass than the HE500. But the mids on the HE400 can get a little wierd. It's sometimes nasal, and it just lacks that bit of refinement that the HE500's have. The scooped upper-mids of the HE400 is pleasant and forgiving, but ultimately I want to hear the snap of the snares and crash of the cymbals or bite of the violin. Over time, I find the HE400 unsatisfying in this regard. Understandably, some people do prefer this laid-back rendition, but any if any of you have ever heard some smash cymbal in your face, and you actually want that shocking effect, then the HE400 does not satisfy.

The HE400s high treble is a tad too much and perhaps a little artificial sounding, but I rather like the effect. The HE400 is very airy. But overall I feel the HE500 is a better package, sounding anywhere from dark to neutral (which is absolutely to my preference) depending upon the amp. I've lived with these two headphones for sometime and ultimately decided on the HE500. It's more balanced, and more faithfully reproduces the entire spectrum. Piano notes don't sound louder or softer as we go up the scale.

The HE500 does not do anything spectacular, e.g. it does not have the transient response of the HE5/5LE/6, the tight controlled detailed bass of the HE400, or the hyper-detail and imaging of the HD800. However it does not fugg up in any way. At its worst, is OK. Over time, I've grown to appreciate the HE500's understated qualities and it is now, far my preference. Although I feel the $799 or whatever is a bit stiff. But than again, I think everything is too expensive. IMO, if the HE500 were $599, it would be a no-brainer over the HE400.

The HE500 currently lies in my bedroom solid-state rig (Mjolnir + modded DCX2496.) The HE500 and the HP1000 are currently the only dynamic headphones I use. My reference system is the 'stats.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV. Yada Yada Yada. Anyone go ahead and feel free to quote for mark up sections where they disagree and let the world know where your opinions differ. Blah Blah Blah.

There's a good reason why HE500s are the de-facto "pure upgrade" from HD650s, it is in the same vein of "doing nothing wrong", just without limitations of dynamic drivers.

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #419 of 846
Forgot to mention that the HE400s have louder bass than HE500s. It's a bit more, which may work for or against you depending upon the recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back