HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Apr 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #3,451 of 3,819
  The Topping T60 has a TA2022 in it. It has a common, grounded speaker output (both black terminals):

Doesn't the TP60 have a pair of bridged TA2022's for the output though? which means not common ground (I might be thinking of another amp though). Either way, the best route is to just get a cable terminated with 4-pin XLR and make an adapter for speaker taps that don't share ground.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #3,454 of 3,819

Did you use the DIY thread as a guide for this project? Also, as a Canadian, I'm curious where you sourced your parts-locally, online? I'm interested in doing something similar to my forthcoming mini-X.

I mostly used this thread and robrobinette's website for inline attenuation.  As for the parts they were sourced from Mouser.ca except for the wire, I had some spare mogami quad.
The plate is quite big and I brought it to a local blacksmith(cost me 40$) for the hole in lieu of buying a couple bits to go through the metal.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #3,455 of 3,819
Sorry if I misled people. I couldn't find the circuit diagram and read somewhere on a couple of other websites others were saying the TP60 didn't share a common ground.

My TP60 doesn't hiss. I've got it hooked up to my DAC, an Audio Gd 15.32 which I can control the volume off, I set at high gain but I can use the volume knob to control the output to the TP60. I usually have this at about 11 o'clock. I have the topping at about 10 o'clock. All this is sourced from my PC and that volume is set at about 90%.

I don't hear hissing until the volume pot on the Topping is at 2-3 o'clock but that is deafening

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #3,456 of 3,819
Sorry if I misled people. I couldn't find the circuit diagram and read somewhere on a couple of other websites others were saying the TP60 didn't share a common ground.

The TA2022 datasheet specifically states it has single ended outputs (and the schematic posted on the previous page is from the TA2022 datasheet and it shows the negative speaker terminals tied directly to the chip's ground). The input is also single ended.

But most of the other Class T TA chip amps have balanced output not tied to ground.

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #3,457 of 3,819
But a few pages later in the datasheet it does show you how to bridge the outputs.

Best to ask the manufacturer how the amp is configured and whether it is safe to tie the grounds together. Or just keep everything separate and never worry about it.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #3,458 of 3,819
Just wondering has anyone else received any information from Brunk, about the Robinett Box ? Thanks

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #3,460 of 3,819
I need some help from this thread.  I am using speaker taps on my Denon AVR to drive my headphones.  Alpha Dogs, HE-4, Beyer DT880.  It outputs 125 wpc, and I have the Denon set to power on at -45 db and I adjust the volume up from there, and everything sounds good, black background great sound.

I would like to use the speaker taps on my new tube amp (Jolida FX10 10 wpc).  The manufacturer says not to power the amp on without having speakers attached, and there are two sets of speaker taps, 4 ohm and 8 ohm.  I plan to use the 8 ohm taps.  My question is, will 10 watt 10 ohm resistors across each set of L/R speaker taps protect the tube amp transformers from damage?

I have been using the speaker taps on my little Ming Da headphone amp to power those same headphones, but I use my Denon AVR Zone 2 output to connect to the tube amp, so I have controlled volume via my remote.  No problems that I know of but I remember reading that using tube amp speaker taps, there should be a load (resistors) across the speaker taps.  I don't require attenuation because I have a gain control on the HP amp set low, kind of like a preamp, and I use the AVR volume control!

Can someone here please respond about using tube amplifier speaker taps for Headphones so I know how to do it without damaging the amp?

Help is greatly appreciated!

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,461 of 3,819
^The impedance seen by the amp should be around 8 ohms. So a 8-10 ohm resistor should be fine I think..

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #3,463 of 3,819
Yes, 10ohm 5watt resistors will be fine for your tube amp. I run these 10ohm 10watt resistors when I use headphones on my 40wpc tube amp. Your amp will see right at 8ohms of load with the resistors and headphones connected.

RobinetteBoxPanel.jpg

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #3,464 of 3,819
P.S. Shouldn't it be the combined impedance load of the headphone + resistors that should be close to 8 ohms? Achieving that combination will depend on the headphone's impedance and the resistors used. Low impedance headphones are much easier to work with in this regard. Doing so is especially important when using transformer-coupled tube amps via speaker posts.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #3,465 of 3,819
  P.S. Shouldn't it be the combined impedance load of the headphone + resistors that should be close to 8 ohms? Achieving that combination will depend on the headphone's impedance and the resistors used. Low impedance headphones are much easier to work with in this regard. Doing so is especially important when using transformer-coupled tube amps via speaker posts.

That's right. If you want more consistent load for all heaphone impedances you should look into robrobs 'preferred resistor network'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back