HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Apr 3, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,436 of 3,819
You can use that setup with the mini-x but not the topping. I did a similar thing to you with the topping and the circuit protection cut in so it doesn't even work at all for me. I'm surprised you get sound

Oh god, it seems to run fine for some reason (other than the a bit of noise). I should have done more research before buying this amp. Is there any way I can use this amp with the stock 1/4 inch connector with a wire from Brian at BTG? I don't know how to re-cable but I can learn. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #3,437 of 3,819
The HE500s come with spare connectors. If you're handy you can get some cable such as canare quad cable, strip the top, solder to the connectors and add some banana plugs to the bottom and you have yourself a recable. If you're extra handy you can buy separate cables, braid them and solder also and it'll look extra nice. I'm hopeless at it do get others to make it for me

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #3,438 of 3,819
The HE500s come with spare connectors. If you're handy you can get some cable such as canare quad cable, strip the top, solder to the connectors and add some banana plugs to the bottom and you have yourself a recable. If you're extra handy you can buy separate cables, braid them and solder also and it'll look extra nice. I'm hopeless at it do get others to make it for me

I think getting other people to do it might be best for me too as I have no idea how to do this or have a soldering kit so I would have to buy that first.

How would I explain to Brian what I want? Also, would regular speaker taps work?

I assume I would have to get a balanced cable for the HE-500 and then speaker taps into female 4 pin XLR so I can connect the XLR 4 pin cable.

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #3,439 of 3,819
I think getting other people to do it might be best for me too as I have no idea how to do this or have a soldering kit so I would have to buy that first.

How would I explain to Brian what I want? Also, would regular speaker taps work?

I assume I would have to get a balanced cable for the HE-500 and then speaker taps into female 4 pin XLR so I can connect the XLR 4 pin cable.
Yes exactly, I just asked Brian for the same thing Malveaux got. Makes it easier. I also got the adapter for XLR into TRS so I can quickly use other amps

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #3,440 of 3,819
Also ask how long it will take, if he's busy might take a while

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #3,442 of 3,819
  So I've been wanting to do it for a while and finally did :) Here is my new Mini-X!!!

I had to move the silver faceplates 1/4 inch outwards as the large plugs did not fit but it doesnt change the look at all :)

Did you use the DIY thread as a guide for this project? Also, as a Canadian, I'm curious where you sourced your parts-locally, online? I'm interested in doing something similar to my forthcoming mini-X.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #3,443 of 3,819
The Topping T60 has a TA2022 in it. It has a common, grounded speaker output (both black terminals):

TA2022Schematic.jpg

See my how-to on how to convert your HE-500 cable to a balanced cable (your tech guy will be able to do this for you). There's also info on that page about making converter cables or making a completely new HE-500 balanced cable.

Balanced cable How-To

Headphones.jpg

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,445 of 3,819
 Awesome! I was trying to track down a pair with this exact idea in mind! I can only imagine how much they open up with some serious amplification.

They really open up. I got the Emotiva for my HE-5LE originally, and now it benefits both my headphones... my mini-x has been modded with a headphone jack, like what they've shown in this thread. 

as a Civil Engie, gotta love your location

I'm not an engineering major but yeah the grad school here is strong. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #3,446 of 3,819
Ah, thanks rob. So I guess the no soldering method I am using is correct then? However, I am not sure where the slight hissing coming from. Not sure if it's a wire or the unit itself.

I've never heard of a cable or joint causing hiss (crackle or pop, yes) so I'm pretty sure it's the amp. What headphones are you using with your TP60?

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3,447 of 3,819

I've never heard of a cable or joint causing hiss (crackle or pop, yes) so I'm pretty sure it's the amp. What headphones are you using with your TP60?

I am using the HE-500. When I listen to music, they sound fine but when I am not, I can hear a very quiet but audible hiss. Kind of sounds like pink noise if you were to play at like 1-2% volume. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back