hd25-1 impressions thread
Aug 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,147 of 3,348
Why would you even say that

Sennheiser would be smart to move the production of this product from Ireland to China.  China has cheap labor, and would build the HD 25's with cheaper, less durable parts, and still charge the same price.   $$$$$PROFITS$$$$$

Sennheiser - WAKE UP and smell the coffee.  If you follow the lead of these incredibly small Korean, Chinese iem companies you will see they build their plastic product for a few bucks and then charge 10x the price retail to hungry consumers who frequent this board who are "convinced" they sound better than a $10 pair of earbuds. A win win for everybody involved.

Until then, I will not buy another pair of these "German-Irish" headphones.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,148 of 3,348
Maybe I like mine because they are made in Ireland.  Why would you boycott a product because they don't move their production and still charge the same?  That's zero benefit for the end user...

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #2,151 of 3,348
Before this post there was 3 weeks and 1 day with nothing being posted.

That's definitely a lack of appreciation for these marvellous portable cans. Released back in the late 80's in their original guise, there's still little to compete with them today in terms of what they do.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,152 of 3,348
You have seen when the original date the thread was started haven't you?  That's not bad going really.  I would use mine more but I need better isolation and need to wear glasses at work so it's back to iems.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,153 of 3,348
You have seen when the original date the thread was started haven't you?  That's not bad going really.  I would use mine more but I need better isolation and need to wear glasses at work so it's back to iems.

I did see the original date, but I thought a quick bump wouldn't hurt.

Personally I have no choice other than to use headphones as IEMs really irritate my ear canal, but I am blessed with good eyesight so I don't suffer the headphone glasses thing.

I'm sure there are IEMs that better the HD25, but as I can't use them they're irrelevant to me.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #2,154 of 3,348
HD25-1 rocks.  The bass is cleaner and the whole sound is more akin to Amperior with Akasa Paxmate Plus foam covering the depth of the cups.
I've switched to HD25-13 lately, though.

My old Compass amp/DAC can't drive HD25-13 at all, it ends up veiled and muffled despite whatever volume level I use, even in high gain.  Dang!  My J3, KICAS, Stepdnace, and Dynalo have no trouble with it, fortunately, and I mostly only use it with my J3 anyway.
I like 13's midrange more, although I'd be happy with either.

HD360 is a nice complement to HD25, I think.  It boasts clearer, sparklier treble and more balanced sound along with very smooth and creamy mids, if you can cope with its seemingly fragile cable.  Probably not the best recommendation for those who aren't into recabling/modifying.  HD360 sticks out to the sides more than HD25, though.  It takes up around as much space if you exclude the included Sennheiser padded "cosmetics bag", hahahaha.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #2,155 of 3,348
Not so sure about that...

VMODA M80, Momentum, Phiaton MS400, for consumers
DT1350, TMA-1 for professional use

Iz all about preference my friend

Quote:
Before this post there was 3 weeks and 1 day with nothing being posted.

That's definitely a lack of appreciation for these marvellous portable cans. Released back in the late 80's in their original guise, there's still little to compete with them today in terms of what they do.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2,156 of 3,348
Not so sure about that...

VMODA M80, Momentum, Phiaton MS400, for consumers
DT1350, TMA-1 for professional use

Iz all about preference my friend

Well, all you've done is give me a list of modern headphones that, in your opinion, are now beginning to compete with a headphone that was designed over 20 years ago.

That said your decision to include the Momentum is somewhat in error IMO. It's a lifestyle product and as such has bling factor, but is nothing more than ordinary in the sound department, choosing to cater for those who are of the fashionable opinion that more bass means good. It's not even in the same league as the HD 25 in terms of detail, transparency and pace - I know, I own both.

I will agree with you on the Beyerdynamic DT1350, it's next on my shopping list for a portable headphone. However when I heard it it did some things a bit better than the HD 25, but equally it did some things not quite as well. Overall it was impressive, but on the whole not really an improvement on the HD 25, just an alternative, which considering the development time of 20 years to acheive this in the same form factor as the HD 25 is disappointing.

I can't comment on the other headphones that you mentioned as I've not heard them personally

Admittedly the fact is that dynamic driver technology moves slowly, and has been well understood for longer than half a century. That really means that we're unlikely to see any stellar improvements in the technology when taken in comparison with the advancement we see with digital products. So my comments above may be a little unfair (except for my comments on the Momentum - I hate that thing)

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #2,157 of 3,348
I will agree with you on the Beyerdynamic DT1350, it's next on my shopping list for a portable headphone. However when I heard it it did some things a bit better than the HD 25, but equally it did some things not quite as well. Overall it was impressive, but on the whole not really an improvement on the HD 25, just an alternative, which considering the development time of 20 years to acheive this in the same form factor as the HD 25 is disappointing.

The DT1350 is my "other" portable headphone.  And I agree, they both have their pluses an minuses, but they compliment each other quite nicely, especially if you like many genres of music.

But lately, since my cable upgrade, I found my DT1350s collecting dust.  The HD25's "weaknesses" improved.  (I tend to embrace headphone's character).  So, anyone say what they want, the HD25's are still a top tier portable.

BTW, pass on the M80s, and go for the M100....

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2,158 of 3,348
Ha DT1350 was my 'other' portable as well but I sold them in order to try some other headphones. I agree that the DTs are a great complement to the HDs (might pick them up again). This is my third and last pair of HD25s and I agree with all that you guys have said. They're very hard to outclass.

Interesting, I liked the M-100 but I felt it was a bit too uneven-sounding and I wasn't a fan of the treble quality. The M-80 sounds a bit cleaner to my ears even though I prefer more sparkle up top.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,159 of 3,348
You made a fairly absolutist statement, and I countered with relativism.

There is plenty to compete the HD25, depending on preference and application. As a portable can with good isolation, it has plenty of competition, most directly from the phones I listed, including the momentum; sure the momes are warm and bassy, but they are still pretty detailed, and will sound better to many people, especially those listening to modern music on a smartphone, tablet or iPod.

As a closed studio monitoring headphone, again, plenty of competition (DT660, DT770, K550, DT1350, DT250, HD380, KRK KNS8400, SRH840, SRH940, ATH-M50...that's just off the top of my head).

I agree the HD25 is an impressive feat of engineering, and has stood the test of time, no doubt. But that doesn't mean it is the final word for any of its numerous applications.
Well, all you've done is give me a list of modern headphones that, in your opinion, are now beginning to compete with a headphone that was designed over 20 years ago.

That said your decision to include the Momentum is somewhat in error IMO. It's a lifestyle product and as such has bling factor, but is nothing more than ordinary in the sound department, choosing to cater for those who are of the fashionable opinion that more bass means good. It's not even in the same league as the HD 25 in terms of detail, transparency and pace - I know, I own both.

I can't comment on the other headphones that you mentioned as I've not heard them personally

Admittedly the fact is that dynamic driver technology moves slowly, and has been well understood for longer than half a century. That really means that we're unlikely to see any stellar improvements in the technology when taken in comparison with the advancement we see with digital products. So my comments above may be a little unfair (except for my comments on the Momentum - I hate that thing)

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #2,160 of 3,348
I'm thinking of getting some of these as soon as my 1Rs are sold, but I have one concern. In terms of comfort, its not THAT clamp I'm worried about, but the small supraaural pads? Do they really make your ears sore, with the velour pads? I had some Sony MDR V55s once and their pads made my ears a bit sore after a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Back