hd25-1 impressions thread
May 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,116 of 3,348
Quote:
Could anyone give me some advice about upgrading hd25?

Upgrade to new headphones, or upgrade your actual HD25s?

If I was going to get new headphones, I would be looking at the Amperiors.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,117 of 3,348
Has anyone tried the HD25 with tube amps, especially the ALO Continental (eying this amp for the longest time)? I have not found much information with a tube amp pairing. Any information would be a great help. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2,118 of 3,348
Has anyone tried the HD25 with tube amps, especially the ALO Continental (eying this amp for the longest time)? I have not found much information with a tube amp pairing. Any information would be a great help. Thanks!

Yes I did run my HD25-1's with a Schiit Valhalla and they sounded very nice. The Valhalla took off the extremes a bit and made the highs a bit more mellow. Overall I liked the combination a lot.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2,119 of 3,348
Well looks like I'll be wearing my hd 25's (adidas) a lot this week. Reason being my right ear is full of wax. Using cerumoil to loosen it but don't think it's a good idea to keep shoving iem's in whilst trying to loosten the wax!

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2,120 of 3,348
I officially prefer the HD25 over the Amperior. Just picked up my HDs for the third time and I don't think I am ever letting them go. They're more neutral overall than the Amps and everything is just tighter while still sounding fun.

From ergonomics, to build quality, to sound, to its badass industrial looks.... the HD25 will always have a place in my heart and collection. Very much appreciated :)

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2,124 of 3,348
Quote:

I used to use my HD25's with my Little Dot MKIII and I enjoyed it. The amp adds a nice touch of warmth to the sound. I get a similar experience with the RSA Predator, which is what I primarily used with the HD25.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #2,125 of 3,348
Thank you for the replies on the tube amp inquiries. I have a sudden interest in tube amps after reading about them. I've also looked at the little dot's. They look nice and the feedback on them are good; however, I am mostly mobile so I cannot use it. That's why I was also asking for the Continental. I was trying my luck at a local store to test it. Unfortunately, it was out of stock. The search continues.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #2,126 of 3,348
Does anyone other than me have issues with the headband size adjustment ? I feel it is to loose, which means that I can't properly adjust it to the size of my head, when I choose a step that fits, it eventually gives up and the headband gets to large. Is it  a natural thing for the hd-25 or is mine too used and in bad shape ?

If my headphones are at fault, does anyone have a solution to make them more reliable on that matter ?

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #2,128 of 3,348
Hi there, i am completely new to the audiophile world but music is a passion of mine. I listen to just about everything, jazz, punk, folk, everything. I've had the hd 25s for a little while now and have just run them straight through my laptop and phone. I'd really like to optimise sound quality at home and would like to buy a really good dac or headphone amp to get the best from the hd25s. Portability is not an issue, and as long as its as sub £300/400 im very open minded. Is o2+odac a good idea? 

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #2,129 of 3,348
You are correct.  The HD25 becomes even more enjoyable with just a little bit of amplification.  I personally like the O2 amp quite a bit, and will give more then enough power.  The DAC section I would describe best as okay.  But that is just my opinion.  It most likely would be a great jumping off point.

I would also suggest taking a look at Practical Devices XM6 (or the XM5 if the price is prohibitive)

http://www.practicaldevices.com/faq_xm6.htm

Also the Schiit Magni/Modi  combo is quite fun, though anchored a bit more then the other choices.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

But I don't know what phone you are using.  Phone compatibility might be a must for you, that I don't know...

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2,130 of 3,348
Quote:

If you like Grados, then the HD25s are a nice evolution for you...

HD25 ain't got sh#% on SR225/325. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back