hd25-1 impressions thread
Sep 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #1,531 of 3,348
Well, that might be right. Steel is far from as conductive as copper, so a 100% steel cable might sound much worse than a copper cable. I've got a pair of AKG K420 headphones that have a very stiff cable and which also had a very sibilant sound in the beginning. So I put 1 and 1 together and figured that something in the conductivity of steel must contribute to the sibilance.

But steel reinforced copper sounds more logical...

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,532 of 3,348
could someone please tell me a few things about the hd25? 
For one how is the bass impact, can I feel the bass, does it make more impact than let's say tma-1's or ms400's or m50's
second, how do they compare on an ipod touch/iphone to an amp let's say a fio e5 or ibasso t4
third, how does it sound for hip hop, dubstep, dnb, and accoustic rock. and when I say hip hop i dont mean lil wayne ******** with claps and bass booms, I mean like kanye west and quality instrumentals. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #1,533 of 3,348

Quote:
Yes, the right amp will expand the soundstage a little bit and give the bass less presence.  Since you want less bass, I can only suggest getting used to it or switching to velour pads if you have not.  Someone else will have to chime in on an amp for you.  The Minibox-ES will definitely open up HD25's soundstage as well as make it smoother, cleaner, punchier, and clearer, BUT it is a bassy amp.  The only amp that I can think of that might suit your preference is the iQube.
Alternatively, you might have to get a different headphone.

thats great, thanks for that.  I have no idea about amps, but am currently looking at the Fiio range since they are very portable and affordable.  I have no idea of the Minibox-ES and iQube, not even sure I can get hold of those in the UK!  I use the velour pads already and still there is too much bass, i'll take a look at amping these headphones....

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #1,534 of 3,348

Quote:
If you get a copper cable instead of the standard steel cable, the sibilance will become reduced. But that's about it. And the sibilance does go down after you have used the phones for a while. 

oh ok so these headphones need a proper long burn in?  These headphones are new to me and have some time adjusting to them, I find they do hurt my ears a lot!  I may try re cabling them if there is an obvious effect in sound improvement, otherwise will leave it and try amping them.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #1,535 of 3,348

Quote:
... I have no idea of the Minibox-ES and iQube, not even sure I can get hold of those in the UK! ...

qables and head-direct

If the velours don't bring enough change and you cannot get accustomed to the copious bass, perhaps you should consider another headphone altogether.  FiiO amps will not lessen bass presence at all; they even have bass boost functions.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #1,537 of 3,348
Had these babies for nearly half a year. They've become the standard for me... it's turning into a bad thing because anything else I listen to sound horrible or aren't balanced.

Help me

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #1,538 of 3,348

Quote:
Had these babies for nearly half a year. They've become the standard for me... it's turning into a bad thing because anything else I listen to sound horrible or aren't balanced.

Help me

stay away from the DT1350 
ph34r.gif

I like how the sony V6 contrast with the HD25, is just pure fun.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,539 of 3,348
....lucky you...wife does know how to choose a good cans...

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #1,540 of 3,348

Quote:
oh ok so these headphones need a proper long burn in?  These headphones are new to me and have some time adjusting to them, I find they do hurt my ears a lot!  I may try re cabling them if there is an obvious effect in sound improvement, otherwise will leave it and try amping them.

I think they might need some time to settle in. I notice that mine, with a few hundred hours since May have become more balanced, i.e. the sibilance is not as apparent as before. They are more bright than some other phones. You could always try to EQ the treble down a bit. You could also get a replacement copper cable for the HD600 (or was it HD650?) and try it out.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #1,541 of 3,348
I bought edition 8's recently, I think I prefer my HD-25-1 II's :rolleyes:
They are my favorite closed headphones (most used at least).
Rich bass and (IMO) excellent soundstage. If I had to choose only one they'd be on my shortlist for sure.
Truly appreciated!

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,544 of 3,348

Quote:
I bought edition 8's recently, I think I prefer my HD-25-1 II's
rolleyes.gif

They are my favorite closed headphones (most used at least).
Rich bass and (IMO) excellent soundstage. If I had to choose only one they'd be on my shortlist for sure.
Truly appreciated!

Wow, can you elaborate on the differences between the Edition 8 and the HD-25s? Especially when it comes to isolation and the tonality/timbre of instruments on the Edition 8's and how they compare with the HD25s? I was always interested in them but definitely not in their price tag. I would definitely appreciate the comparison. 

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #1,545 of 3,348

Quote:
I think they might need some time to settle in. I notice that mine, with a few hundred hours since May have become more balanced, i.e. the sibilance is not as apparent as before. They are more bright than some other phones. You could always try to EQ the treble down a bit. You could also get a replacement copper cable for the HD600 (or was it HD650?) and try it out.

wow you are totally right.  I have spent a lot of time with my Sennheisers now and now they feel very comfortable, sibilance have gone down and sound quality is just amazing (changed the EQ).  I find the bass response of these headphones are incredible compared to my bose triports and are now one of my favorite closed cup headphones.  I really love these headphones now, before I really wanted to return them!  I do agree, these need a lot of time to get used to.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back