hd25-1 impressions thread
Sep 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #1,516 of 3,348
I tried to search this thread for impressions on how the HD25's compare with the Beyerdynamic DT1350 in terms of SQ but could not get a lot of results. I apologize if someone else has already done a comparison and I am asking a redundant question. I am a newbie here and I hope you would bear with me. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #1,517 of 3,348
There are a few good VS reviews, and the point seems to be that although the Beyers are better overall, they're not better bang-for-buck than the HD25s. If you haven't money to burn, stick with the Sennheisers.

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #1,518 of 3,348

Quote:
There are a few good VS reviews, and the point seems to be that although the Beyers are better overall, they're not better bang-for-buck than the HD25s. If you haven't money to burn, stick with the Sennheisers.

"Better overall" is debatable, prices aside.  The two are close enough, some people prefer one, some the other.  If one is really curious, it would be best to try both out.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,520 of 3,348
Between the HD25-1 II, DT1350 and ES10, the HD25-1 II definitely gives the best bang for the buck. In terms of thumping bass it falls squarely inbetween the light DT1350 and the booming ES10. I have no complaints whatsoever with the mids and trebles. I wish the build quality was better though as it feels very cheap compared to the other two but since it's at least $100 cheaper than the DT1350 and way cheaper than the ES10, I guess you can't really complain about that too much. But it makes up for it in sound. Really well balanced for its class imo.

The only other minor grievance I have is the 1/4" right-angle plug. For portables I'd rather have 1/8" standard.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #1,521 of 3,348

Quote:
Between the HD25-1 II, DT1350 and ES10, the HD25-1 II definitely gives the best bang for the buck. In terms of thumping bass it falls squarely inbetween the light DT1350 and the booming ES10. I have no complaints whatsoever with the mids and trebles. I wish the build quality was better though as it feels very cheap compared to the other two but since it's at least $100 cheaper than the DT1350 and way cheaper than the ES10, I guess you can't really complain about that too much. But it makes up for it in sound. Really well balanced for its class imo.

The only other minor grievance I have is the 1/4" right-angle plug. For portables I'd rather have 1/8" standard.

1/4" plug on hd25-1 ii??? how old/how long have you had these, because I have the 25's, pretty recently purchased, and its definitely a 1/8" right angle plug....do you have the adapter on?

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #1,522 of 3,348
Ah, ha! I completely missed that. It came with the adapter on and I didn't take a good look at the box which listed the accessories it came with so didn't realize it could just be screwed off. =) Never mind that gripe then. ;-p

Quote:
1/4" plug on hd25-1 ii??? how old/how long have you had these, because I have the 25's, pretty recently purchased, and its definitely a 1/8" right angle plug....do you have the adapter on?

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,523 of 3,348
Quote:
Ah, ha! I completely missed that. It came with the adapter on and I didn't take a good look at the box which listed the accessories it came with so didn't realize it could just be screwed off. =) Never mind that gripe then. ;-p

hahaha nice, i thought maybe there was an older version or something with a 1/4", glad u were able to figure it out though

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #1,526 of 3,348

Quote:
does anyone know how recabling the Hd 25-1 ii makes a difference to sound quality??? thx!

Insignificant.  What change do you want?  We may be ble to recommend an amp or alternative headphone for your needs/preferences.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #1,527 of 3,348

Quote:
Insignificant.  What change do you want?  We may be ble to recommend an amp or alternative headphone for your needs/preferences.

ok I want to be able to hear a wider soundstage and if possible, less bass?  I find these headphones quite bassy more so that my ultrasones and am not used to it.  Also is it necessary for an amp? Cos these seem to drive my mp3 player alright

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,528 of 3,348

Quote:
ok I want to be able to hear a wider soundstage and if possible, less bass?  I find these headphones quite bassy more so that my ultrasones and am not used to it.  Also is it necessary for an amp? Cos these seem to drive my mp3 player alright

Yes, the right amp will expand the soundstage a little bit and give the bass less presence.  Since you want less bass, I can only suggest getting used to it or switching to velour pads if you have not.  Someone else will have to chime in on an amp for you.  The Minibox-ES will definitely open up HD25's soundstage as well as make it smoother, cleaner, punchier, and clearer, BUT it is a bassy amp.  The only amp that I can think of that might suit your preference is the iQube.

Alternatively, you might have to get a different headphone.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #1,529 of 3,348

Quote:
does anyone know how recabling the Hd 25-1 ii makes a difference to sound quality??? thx!

If you get a copper cable instead of the standard steel cable, the sibilance will become reduced. But that's about it. And the sibilance does go down after you have used the phones for a while.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,530 of 3,348

Quote:
If you get a copper cable instead of the standard steel cable, the sibilance will become reduced. But that's about it. And the sibilance does go down after you have used the phones for a while.

I wrote sennheiser an email about the cables time ago and they told me the steel in the "steel cable" is only the there for reinforcement, the real conductor is copper.
but then when I rip open a HD25 cable, the wires inside werent quite the same a copper ones, so I imagine the wires are Steel reinforced copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back