hd25-1 impressions thread
Sep 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #1,501 of 3,348

Quote:
cool thats brilliant, thanks for the advice.  I cant spend on the DT1350 , think they are too expensive over here in the UK.  I currently have the Ultimate Ears superfi pro on the go but find in ear way too annoying now because they keep falling out.  Will a Sennheiser Hd-25 justify the sound quality of an IEM?   

IMO, good IEM's will outperform the HD-25's SQ in most, if not all, areas.  But then again, as you have pointed out, there are times when IEM are a PITA. I have no issues with any of mine falling out.  Quite the opposite -- there are times I just do not want to dig them out of my ears only to re-insert and repeat.  The HD25's are great for what they are.  I would never consider them as phones for critical listening, but the most of the time I am not in an environment or mood for critical listening.

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,503 of 3,348

Quote:
Great, thx!  I heard good reviews for the Fiio 3...do u know if thats a good one to use?

Fiios hardly impact sound quality, if at all, and if you have a player with really good output like the Cowon S9 or J3, Fiios are actually a downgrade in sound. (not sure abut the E11, though a recent post has me doubting how good they say it is) You have to spend more for a noticeable improvement in sound. 

Or again, you can just go ampless thanks to HD25 being nearly as sensitive as IEMs.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #1,504 of 3,348

Quote:
Fiios hardly impact sound quality, if at all, and if you have a player with really good output like the Cowon S9 or J3, Fiios are actually a downgrade in sound. (not sure abut the E11, though a recent post has me doubting how good they say it is) You have to spend more for a noticeable improvement in sound. 

Or again, you can just go ampless thanks to HD25 being nearly as sensitive as IEMs.

I'm using the E11 LoD out of my iPod Nano 3G, and it does sound better than just plugging it in via 3.5mm connectors. But then again it's the iPod. + it allows me to use my headphones as speakers :). Setting it to "3" lets me already hear it while it's on my neck, and setting it at 8 (I don't do higher than 4 or 5 usually though cause I don't know how loud it is exactly) makes it sound like just speakers. No distortion either. My normal listening level is around 1.75~2 (1 is unaudible, 1.5 is nearly unaudible).

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #1,505 of 3,348
In the case of ipods, it seems they rely on a measly little chip for a "headamp" of sorts, worse than an OPA2134.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #1,506 of 3,348

Quote:

hey thanks for this, I have the Cowon j3 and wasnt sure to get an amp for it or not.  Still waiting for my Hd25's to arrive, hopefully they will perform as well as IEM's with this player

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #1,507 of 3,348

Quote:
I find them quite ugly. And I listen to mine during school (high school) when I can (normally during the mornings / in some classes occasionally / after school). Otherwise, they either go in the provided bag and into my backpack, or onto my neck if I'm going to be listening to them soon or if I'm using them as speakers (which I learned they sound great as speakers).

I wouldn't even put fashion and the HD25-1 II in the same sentence unless it was this sentence.  I also find them quite ugly and cheap looking haha.  Fashion usually relates to high end (usually) and these don't look high end at all. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #1,508 of 3,348
I actually love the way they look and this is coming from a someone who cares/is conscious of how a headphone looks on her head. They have an industrial, classic, rugged look that's also very stealthy. I love that they're all black too. I find them more classy looking than the beats that's for sure.

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #1,509 of 3,348
I think they could use some touch in the way how they look. but the design is perfect, plain simple and functional, you can take them appart with only loosing 2 screws and there you have 10 plastic pieces, 2 screws and the cusions.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,510 of 3,348
Yup.. the HD25's need some work in the looks department.  Just got a pair of v-moda M-80's.. now, they are a looker!

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #1,511 of 3,348

Quote:
Yup.. the HD25's need some work in the looks department.  Just got a pair of v-moda M-80's.. now, they are a looker!

do they also win in sound? 
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #1,512 of 3,348
It's a little early to draw a final conclusion for sure but here's my take..
They have a similar sound signature with fuller body, deeper bass (not as tight), a touch more mids and definitely more dynamic.  I only have about 30 hours on them and the they need some time to meld to my head.  So far, so good.
There are a couple of other threads (search on it) and I'm sure people will be comparing them to the HD25's, Beyer 1350's and others.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #1,513 of 3,348

Quote:
It's a little early to draw a final conclusion for sure but here's my take..
They have a similar sound signature with fuller body, deeper bass (not as tight), a touch more mids and definitely more dynamic.  I only have about 30 hours on them and the they need some time to meld to my head.  So far, so good.
There are a couple of other threads (search on it) and I'm sure people will be comparing them to the HD25's, Beyer 1350's and others.

more mids? woah that I did not expect to hear. how about the highs?
and I'm gonna be one of those comparing the 3 of them soon 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #1,514 of 3,348
Not sure these old ears can discern the highs very well anymore so I'm probably not the best one to comment.  All I know is that dynamics seem better and the bass and mids are pushed out a bit more without missing anything in between (at least for me).

Can't wait to see/hear your comparisons. Not sure I can do any real critical comparisons anymore but it comes down to what I like these days and they both have a place.

The M-80's are much better out of the iPhone4 & iPod Classic so they will be my portable over the ear go to phones.  They are definitely more sensitive than the HD25's.

I'm definitely keeping the HD25's. A little bit of EQ in the lows and mids and coming out of the Matrix Mini-i, they are wonderful. Can't wait to try the FiiO E10 with the MacBook & HD25's.

So, here's how I see this rolling out for me..
High End - Mac-Mini > Matrix Mini-i > Lyr (on the list) > HD650, LCD-2 (on the list)
Mid - MacBook > FiiO E7 or E10 > HD25's
Portable - iPhone/iPod > M-80's

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,515 of 3,348
For what I reckon, the HD25s are one the most balanced headphones out there - EQ-wise that is. The bass has a lot of punch and it's tight. Mids are upfront for some really nice rockin' guitars and clear vocals. The treble-department isn't all that smooth or extended, but it's certainly there as a piece of the balanced sound signature. I wouldn't use these cans at home, cause there are a lot better options even in the Senn-range, but with easy "drivability", great isolation and balanced sound they are awesome for on-the-go use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back