hd25-1 impressions thread
Jun 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #1,321 of 3,348

Quote:

I got new pleather pads (Sennheiser brand), but I want to try the velour pads. The new pleather pads seem to make the HD 25 sound slightly more boomy than with the original pads I replaced - the HD 25 bass impact is still great, but I'd prefer a less boomy sound. I wonder if the velour pads reduce the HD 25's boom... Have you tried the HD 25 with velour pads?

I got the replacement pleather pads because the old ones were tearing slightly. I also ordered a new headband pad for the same reason and it's a different size from the original that came with the HD 25, so I'll probably order another headband pad and velour pads. :)

Never tried velour pads in my HD25s, and how is the new headband smaller? that is quite weird.

Quote:
Are the drivers supposed to have a mildly loose fit in the cups?

mine are tight, i cant even see a way to take them out without going pirate on it

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #1,322 of 3,348

Quote:
Never tried velour pads in my HD25s, and how is the new headband smaller? that is quite weird.

I didn't order a new headband i.e. plastic frame, just a pleather pad for the headband. The new pleather headband pad is thinner than the original one that came with the headphones.

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #1,324 of 3,348
Quote:
OK then, that makes sense. Ive been looking for one of those color velour ear pads+headband pads but, specially the red ones, but it appears the only ones are from the UK are very pricey

I got my HD 25 pads from juno.co.uk as their prices were the lowest. I just checked their site and couldn't see the red pad set on there, but they might still sell them. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #1,326 of 3,348
Here you go. Cheap price and cheap shipping ($3 to US). Bought the black ones from them before and was surprised that it was actually from Sennheiser. I doubt these are though.

Quote:
OK then, that makes sense. Ive been looking for one of those color velour ear pads+headband pads but, specially the red ones, but it appears the only ones are from the UK are very pricey

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #1,328 of 3,348
I've never done a direct comparison but all the reading I've read (and the time I listened to an HD25 at B&H when I still had my velour-padded HD25) says that velour reduces some of the bass bloat that pleather pads tend to give the HD25. They're also ultra comfortable, to boot.

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #1,329 of 3,348

Quote:
mine are tight, i cant even see a way to take them out without going pirate on it

Mine weren't when I checked them out.  I added strips of electrical tape on the sides for a tighter fit.  The sound became cleaner, tighter, and slightly clearer.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #1,330 of 3,348
Quote:
) I got new pleather pads (Sennheiser brand), but I want to try the velour pads. The new pleather pads seem to make the HD 25 sound slightly more boomy than with the original pads I replaced - the HD 25 bass impact is still great, but I'd prefer a less boomy sound. I wonder if the velour pads reduce the HD 25's boom... Have you tried the HD 25 with velour pads?

I got the replacement pleather pads because the old ones were tearing slightly. I also ordered a new headband pad for the same reason and it's a different size from the original that came with the HD 25, so I'll probably order another headband pad and velour pads. :)

The boominess I described is probably due to the fact that I left my iPod's bass boost EQ setting on after last using the HiFiMAN RE-ZERO. (
rolleyes.gif
)

Normal EQ service has now been resumed and The Foo Fighters are rocking my HD25 right now. 
atsmile.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #1,331 of 3,348
Hi

Got a pair of bw p5's which are fine for home use but don't isolate enough for my daily work use.  Would the sennheiser hd25's  be a better bet for me isolation wise? ATM  its whatever iem I choose to take to work, but would like a capable portable headphone thats got good isolation.  Listen to rock and metal mainly.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,332 of 3,348

Quote:
Hi

Got a pair of bw p5's which are fine for home use but don't isolate enough for my daily work use.  Would the sennheiser hd25's  be a better bet for me isolation wise? ATM  its whatever iem I choose to take to work, but would like a capable portable headphone thats got good isolation.  Listen to rock and metal mainly.

never tried those but they have flat pads, right? 
Ive used the HD25 in planes and they do the job. but never as the ety MC5, that thing is like industrial ear plugs + music.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #1,333 of 3,348
The orange are gorgeous - unfortunately my girlfriend didn't want hers:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557905/hd-25-1-ii-custom-orange-earpads-headbands-from-germany

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,334 of 3,348
I don't think ladies will like the look of HD25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back