hd25-1 impressions thread
Dec 18, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #826 of 3,348
Wow. Something sounds badly wrong.

Hard to say. I can wear mine for hours. Try extending the headband and readjusting it - the phones don't clamp or shouldn't; before they're put on a head, the phones rest on the circumference of the ear, making little if any contact with the head.

Dud you buy yours from an authorised retailer?

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #827 of 3,348
I actually just put on the velour pads and noticed quite the difference. Make no mistake these are authentic, they came in a flawless box and have the made in ireland on both headbands. Guess i'll just have to get used to them.

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #828 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialzed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually just put on the velour pads and noticed quite the difference. Make no mistake these are authentic, they came in a flawless box and have the made in ireland on both headbands. Guess i'll just have to get used to them.

Stretch the headband - methodically - every time you put them on - for the next 10 times. They will accomodate you and once you get them right, they'll return to that shape every time, forever... Work at it and you will get truly perfect comfort, in spite of them being supra...

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #829 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you're OK with a "Y" connection to the cans, then yes - more or less. You'll still need to slide the cans completely off, reverse them, then plug in the 650 cable.

Making a different cable fit just like the existing is a different matter. There are unequal lengths used as the one channel is fed through the headphone band to the other can. Plus, the total cable has to be small enough to fit into the headband recesses.

I tried the HD650 cable for over a year. After awhile, I tried the stock steel cable on a lark. Lo and behold - it was superior in every respect. I guess it took that long for the headphones to break-in. The steel cable has sparkle and dynamics to it, whereas the 650 cable does not. I continue to use the stock steel cable ever since. When the cans are brand new, though, the steel cable can cause awful sibilance.

Lol thanks man, I just got these, and found them to be a bit too sibilance, but wasn't really capable to replace the cable, but now I am going to sit it out. LOL! Nice, Cheers!

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #831 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialzed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received mine, upon getting the box in my hands I had mixed reactions, such a light box, nothing im used to. Opened the box saw the headphones, put them on my head and quite the clamp these guys have, by no means good at all. Im listening to them now and im wondering how much longer im going to be able to deal with this clamping force, I guess I have a big head but this is the exact opposite of being comfortable. I just took them off and my ears are pulsing. Does this clamping force let up at all? I was also quite disappointed looking at myself in the mirror with these, these most likely wont leave the house on my head. After reading what everyone has said im kinda underwhelmed with the sound quality out of the box unamped straight into the computer. Did anyone else have feelings like this when the first got them but them later grew to love them?

I had the same reaction when I got them about 3 weeks ago. I am getting more used to it, but it isn't that comfortable at all. I just that i felt iem were bad for me, that i tried the hd25-1. But indeed they are quite big in the end and I am not feeling very comfortable at all to wear them in public. Also my hd25-1 don't say made in ireland on the headband should I be worried?

I am thinking about buying the velour pads to improve the comfort. But I will be using the headphones in the library to study, so I am afraid the little sound leakages of the velour will annoy other people, anyone knows what the sound leaking is to the outside world?

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #832 of 3,348
For me the velour pads are much more comfortable. Unlike with the pleathers, I find I can wear them for hours. Indeed, here in the NY winter they make excellent ear-muffs! I wouldn't worry about any sound leakage as the velours still do seal quite well.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #833 of 3,348
@StevenBrouwer: I'm also from NL and my HD-25's dont have 'Made in Ireland' written on the headband. It says so on the box though. I'm 100% sure they are genuine, so don't worry!
And btw the sound leakage with the leather pads is almost zero, as I tend to DJ in my living room @ quite some volume and my girlfriend never hears anything, according to her
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #834 of 3,348
Mine are up for sale in the FS section now. Made in Ireland across the top of both headbands 100% authentic so no worries. Check out my thread if you wanna try these headphones.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #835 of 3,348
Ah thanks, Joost. I have them on the way already.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #836 of 3,348
I just got my HD25-1II for like 2 weeks. I like it's SQ even I am still running it, but I feel for some music, the treble is somehow a little bit harsh. I am thinking about upgrade cable. (iPod Classic 160G to iBassoD4(also running-in) to HD25-1II)
For upgrading cable, people talk good things about Cardas, APureSound V3, Sliver Dragon, Lil' Knight's Jena cable, Zu Mobius, Equinox.... some are just really expensive compare to the price of HD25-1II

For a phone priced around $199, do you guys think it's nonsense to get a cable more expensive than the phone itself?

I did some search but still didn't get the answer about what's the best cable to get if I can spend more than the HD650 stock cable? Please recommend!

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #837 of 3,348
what is the reason you want to upgrade the cables for, if you find the highs bit harsh for your taste they will smooth after burn in, apart from that a change of cable will not make any difference, if anything you will loose the clarity and the headphones will become less aggressive.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #838 of 3,348
The reason is to enjoy the fun of upgrading, to squeeze the best out of our gears in a reasonable price.

In my indoor stereo system, I tried and conviced that cables do change the SQ. Cable for headphone eaquals to speaker cables to me. I believe there will be some best matching out there just like speaker cables. Of course it's not nessary the most expensive one. I will wait longer to see how burn-in change the SQ, but I also really like to try re-cable and I believe there will be some change.

That's why I like to know up to how much Head-Fi'ers here would like to spend for the cable of a phone like HD25-1II. Also, which one will be my best bet to buy?
Anyone can recommend?

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #840 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, where can we get new hd25s for the lowest price these days?

The internet is a great source
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back