hd25-1 impressions thread
Jan 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #856 of 3,348
I'm jumping into the bandwagon here and I will purchase an HD 25-1 II, along with a Headphile cable upgrade and a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV40 speakers as Christmas/birthday/New Year gifts from my dad.

So, where can I find the best deals (online this time) on the HD 25? Most are still about $199.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #857 of 3,348
Quick question... would you guys use the HD25s as a recording monitoring headphone too? I have Sennheisers HD202s now and I'm thinking it can only be an upgrade, and they'd be backup 'on the go' headphones if my S4s ever crap out on me...

EDIT: wow nevermind. They cost 140 euros here for the HD25 HP and 225 for the HD25 II. I think I was confusing them with the 228s. Can't afford this much.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #858 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm jumping into the bandwagon here and I will purchase an HD 25-1 II, along with a Headphile cable upgrade and a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV40 speakers as Christmas/birthday/New Year gifts from my dad.

So, where can I find the best deals (online this time) on the HD 25? Most are still about $199.

I am not sure where you are located at but this is where I just bought mine. They are not an authorized dealer but I am not really worried about it. 165 shipped to my door.

SENNHEISER HD 25-1 II DJ STEREO HEADPHONES HD25-1 - eBay (item 230417970966 end time Jan-28-10 16:07:31 PST)

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #860 of 3,348
After trying on a pair of these at a friend's house, I'm convinced that they're the perfect headphones for long subway rides because of the way they block out harsh noises (screeching brakes, rattling, etc.)

There's just no way I can budget the cost in the equation any time soon. I hope New Egg brings back that deal.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #863 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear..... I can't wait for mine to get here it is killing me! Everyone seems to love these headphones.

They're not the best sounding headphones I've heard but they're great with isolation. I'm not big on IEMs, so this seems like the best route to go with when it comes to killing the sounds on the subway.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #864 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After trying on a pair of these at a friend's house, I'm convinced that they're the perfect headphones for long subway rides because of the way they block out harsh noises (screeching brakes, rattling, etc.)

There's just no way I can budget in the price in the equation any time soon. I hope New Egg brings back that deal.

Absolutely! That's exactly why I love mine. Nothing else blocks out around -32 to -40dB of screeching rail noises and lets you listen to music without deafeningly loud volumes!

Some do say that the Senn HD25 IIs are a bit 'dark' or compressed soundstage compared to the best of the audiophile open backs. This is one reason for a cable upgrade to the Cardas type hmm?! Still - I love mine with a porty amp.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #865 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are a great pair I should say,I just love the isolation that comes with it not to describe the clear wide sound, make sure you've got a nice amp to go with it.

I am planning on making a mini3 amp as you can see in my sig
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #866 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not the best sounding headphones I've heard but they're great with isolation. I'm not big on IEMs, so this seems like the best route to go with when it comes to killing the sounds on the subway.

Yeah but i doubt any sub 200$ set of cans would be the best sounding. And what other headphone offers the same mix of build, isolation, portability and sound? I am totally going off what I have read at this point but that is why I bought them.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #867 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but i doubt any sub 200$ set of cans would be the best sounding. And what other headphone offers the same mix of build, isolation, portability and sound? I am totally going off what I have read at this point but that is why I bought them.

None that I know of.

I've never been disappointed with my HD 25...thinking they suck in any way. Sure, the soundstage doesn't compare to my DX1000 but try to imagine wearing those beasts in public.
darthsmile.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #868 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None that I know of.

I've never been disappointed with my HD 25...thinking they suck in any way. Sure, the soundstage doesn't compare to my DX1000 but try to imagine wearing those beasts in public.
darthsmile.gif

I have just started to listen to them at home with my D4 as a DAC/AMP, noticed slight distortion sometimes, are you getting that too, still can't figure out the source of it.

Also do you use stock cables.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #869 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just started to listen to them at home with my D4 as a DAC/AMP, noticed slight distortion sometimes, are you getting that too, still can't figure out the source of it.

Also do you use stock cables.

I've had the chance to amp my HD 25 with a Gilmore Lite (but never did before selling)...Woo Audio 3 (tubes), sounds great btw. My main source/amp is a 1G iPod Touch and Ray Samuels SR-71A portable amp. The SR-71A is 18 volts...lots of power to spare for HD 25. I've cranked my HD 25 beyond what is safe listening with the SR-71A. My music files for portable are mp3 Lame V0 (VBR,~245 kbps) and most always good clean recordings. With these I've never heard the HD 25 fail to deliver impressive bass with great dynamic slam. I can't recall ever hearing the HD 25 break up at these 90+ dB levels. My ears give up before they do.

I'm currently using the stock cables. I have used HD-650 cables but cannot give any feedback on a comparison.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #870 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the chance to amp my HD 25 with a Gilmore Lite (but never did before selling)...Woo Audio 3 (tubes), sounds great btw. My main source/amp is a 1G iPod Touch and Ray Samuels SR-71A portable amp. The SR-71A is 18 volts...lots of power to spare for HD 25. I've cranked my HD 25 beyond what is safe listening with the SR-71A. My music files for portable are mp3 Lame V0 (VBR,~245 kbps) and most always good clean recordings. With these I've never heard the HD 25 fail to deliver impressive bass with great dynamic slam. I can't recall ever hearing the HD 25 break up at these 90+ dB levels. My ears give up before they do.

I'm currently using the stock cables. I have used HD-650 cables but cannot give any feedback on a comparison.

The distortion I'am referring to is what comes not necessarily at higher volumes, what I'am talking about is the slight distortion you get at the start of Tears Drop by the Mummers.
I'am also contemplating getting a Woo Audio amp for my SR 325is but the better ones by them are very expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back