hd25-1 impressions thread
Jan 3, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #872 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The distortion I'am referring to is what comes not necessarily at higher volumes, what I'am talking about is the slight distortion you get at the start of Tears Drop by the Mummers.
I'am also contemplating getting a Woo Audio amp for my SR 325is but the better ones by them are very expensive.

The distortion problem that you mention is most likely with the recording.

My Woo amp is a standard 3 that I bought in late 2005/early 2006. I paid $480 IIRC and then $80 or so on tubes. The W3 has stood the test of time for me. It even sounds good to me with low impedance such as 325i which it isn't supposed to...maybe I'm too easy to please. My W3 now is used for its preamp function mostly...to feed a Rotel amp for my B&W speakers.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #873 of 3,348
One question before I seal the deal... is the HD25-1 II focused on the vocals and midrange? I want something with the forward presentation of a Grado without its overt harshness and aggressiveness.

And also, I'll order from the US this time after my family migrates to Texas. I suspect only the cheapest deal is about $165, correct?

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #875 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want something with the forward presentation of a Grado without its overt harshness and aggressiveness.

My Grados haven't arrived yet,so can't tell you how forward they are,anyway the HD 25's are not very forward nor too far behind, they are more in the second row,if that makes sense.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #876 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Grados haven't arrived yet,so can't tell you how forward they are,anyway the HD 25's are not very forward nor too far behind, they are more in the second row,if that makes sense.

Well, that's enough for me. My K518's feel like about 4th row, and the HD 238's are 5th row. Thanks for answering.
beyersmile.png

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #877 of 3,348
Listening to Kind of Blue - Miles Davis right now, yes these are definitely very forward headphones, I'am just loving the music coming out of them ,feels like Miles is sitting in front of me.
I almost can touch him right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Amazing headphones, make sure you've got a good DAC and AMP to get the best out of them.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #878 of 3,348
I love mine. Great bass response and still a fair dynamic range. I use mine for beatmatching and studio monitoring. I really like how everything is user replaceable. That is key for DJs who throw around their cans all the time.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #879 of 3,348
Quote:

One question before I seal the deal... is the HD25-1 II focused on the vocals and midrange? I want something with the forward presentation of a Grado without its overt harshness and aggressiveness.

And also, I'll order from the US this time after my family migrates to Texas. I suspect only the cheapest deal is about $165, correct?

They sound NOTHING like Grados. In fact, they don't like most Sennheisers. I'd like to give them another listen before I come to other conclusions. All I know is that I want them as my next headphone.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #881 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one has used a mini3 with the HD25? I need to find a fairly cheap portable amp to use with them.

That's a solid choice. I've never owned it but the HD25 isn't a picky can. They just need some clean power above what a DAP can provide...at least to maximize the experience.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #882 of 3,348
Quote:

As roker expressed, they don't have a Grado sound...at least not my 325i reference. The 325i has more midrange detail but is far less forgiving than HD 25. Not that HD 25 is not detailed, they just have a greater fun factor to my ears.

I think the HD 25 is what you're after.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #884 of 3,348
It would work....

But don't you need a L type 90 degree plug for music on the go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back