hd25-1 impressions thread
Jan 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #601 of 3,348
From someone who thought the high end of the HD 25's left something to be desired because at times the high end was thin, tinny, or simblant...I'm them out of a Woo Audio 6 tube amp...and boy can I tell you do they sound amazing. The sound just opens up, high end is enhanced, you could even say these phones have soundstage :)

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #603 of 3,348
Great if you don't want to hear what's around you :)

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #604 of 3,348
I have taken the plunge (after a couple weeks of pondering different potential cans and getting lots of great input on head-fi.org).

Yesterday, I listened to a well-burned set of HD25-1s at the store—and was amazed. As the cliché goes, I could hear things that I had never heard before (e.g., Chet Baker clearing his throat). I was sold (i.e., I need no better than the HD25-1s); I purchased them later that day.

Pre-burn: I thought the HD25-1s sounded quite good, perhaps with some muddling (e.g., bass at times, horns at times). I was happy (i.e.,
regular_smile .gif
).

Post one-day burn: The HD25-1s are sounding better, with much less muddling. Thus, I decided to compare them to my previous headphones, the Bose CQ2s. (Pardon the blasphemy of this comparison, but those are my only previous over- or on-ear phones.)

I compared the headphones (unamped) with the following mix of songs: Chet Baker (Stella by Starlight at lossless), Miles Davis (Move at 192K), Uncle Tupelo (Moonshiner at 192K), Jimmy Hendrix (All along the Watchtower at 320K), Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing at 256K), Nathaniel Mayer (Satisfied Fool at 320K), and Massive Attack (Protection at 256K). Though I'm certainly not an audiophile, I took notes on how each headphone dealt with each song, and here’s a summary.

The HD25-1s are much, much “sweeter” (e.g., guitars on Moonshiner and entry organ on Satisfied Fool); bass is clearer, with more punch (on all songs); drum work (e.g., brushes on cymbals) is much more present; vocals are more present, closer (I thought I could reach out and touch singer on Protection); and horns are crisper and more “sensitive” (on both Stella by Starlight and Move). In contrast, the CQ2s sound muddled; bass dominated; lifeless and sterile.

Three additional comments: 1) The HD25-1s appear to be more efficient in terms of volume (or, perhaps, I felt a need to turn up the CQ2s in search of “life”); 2) the HD25-1s have much better construction and are smaller; and 3) I don’t think there’s a substantial comfort difference (and I’m still using the pleather earpads on the HD25-1s).

I look forward to listening to the HD25-1s more, especially after another 24-hour burn. I am even happier (i.e.,
bigsmile_face.gif
).

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #605 of 3,348
ramosa, congratulations...

If you ever feel the need for more, there's always a cheap cable upgrade and to see if an amp does anything for your ears with them :wink:

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #606 of 3,348
Hi HD 25 appreciators!

This is how I rock on the road. I lost a bit of isolation because of the earpad change but there is also a considerable increase in comfort.

DSC03405.jpg

Do you guys have any suggestions for a possible cable upgrade wich would still make them portable?

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #608 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys have any suggestions for a possible cable upgrade wich would still make them portable?

Headphile offers well-regarded cables but a decent basic option to see if copper does it for you is stock Senn HD650 cable (+ Grado 3.5 adapter if required). Simply turn the cups round 180 degrees. The cable is long but I find still very manageable to throw in the bag and take anywhere.

I've seen photos of HD600 cable being threaded round the headband if you prefer that to Y shape.

Nice pads BTW
bigsmile_face.gif

James

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #609 of 3,348
Thank you
smile.gif

I got them from Earpad Set Velour for Sennheiser headphone HD-25 of Headphones-shop -. They were not very cheap and the installing was a bit of a pain in the ass but it is definitely worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamescodway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphile offers well-regarded cables but a decent basic option to see if copper does it for you is stock Senn HD650 cable (+ Grado 3.5 adapter if required). Simply turn the cups round 180 degrees. The cable is long but I find still very manageable to throw in the bag and take anywhere.

I've seen photos of HD600 cable being threaded round the headband if you prefer that to Y shape.

Okay, but there are no higher quality copper cables available wich replace the original one within the old form, meaning a comparable cable lenght, the 3.5 plug and the wires being put into the headband? And which comes with a reasonable pricetag
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #610 of 3,348
I believe that the 3m coiled cable that comes standard on the HD25-C II is made from copper...

Emailed Sennheiser USA, and they replied back - "This is copper cable. We use stainless steel and copper for various cables. The choice of conductor material has ZERO effect on sound quality since differences are purely the property of resistance."

- Can anyone compare the sound to the standard steel cable?

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #611 of 3,348
I once did, and while really wishing to succumb to placebo, I couldn't hear any difference between the hd650- and the stock steel cable. I could've pictured something about the copper making it sound smoother but, not really. And even if they do sound different, they don't necessarily sound better.

I'm sorry for being a hater
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #612 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..... the installing was a bit of a pain in the ass but it is definitely worth it.

Actually, fitting earpads is quite easy when you know how.

Turn them inside-out and put the new earpad on the capsule.

Then roll the surround down over the capsule.

Easy.

Though, I must admit, I found it awkward the first time I did it - until someone told me the trick.

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #614 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any mod to allow them to fold, or at least go flat ?

Only by using the SP headband - but then you have a problem if they keep turning.

Personally I keep may HD 25-1 in a Sennheiser pull-string bag and never really have any problem carrying them around.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #615 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only by using the SP headband - but then you have a problem if they keep turning.

Personally I keep may HD 25-1 in a Sennheiser pull-string bag and never really have any problem carrying them around.

There is enough resistance on the SP headband that they don't keep turning. With the SP headband, the headphones are lighter and fold flat. I attached an HD 25-1 pad on the SP headband and use the HD-600 cable for great sound, great comfort and great portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back