hd25-1 impressions thread
Jan 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #586 of 3,348
well their are dozens of people in this exact thread who would strongly disagree with you. also, in my first post i explained very clearly how ordering from sennheiser usa is a joke. i don't feel like waiting months for something to maybe show up if i could just pay a little extra to order it now. also i have a policy of not ordering from places that have items on backorder, yet claim it is instock when you order it. bait and switch if there ever was one.

exchange rates have very little to do with price gouging like that. it's 11$ from sennheiser which means it's cheaper wholesale so 30$+shipping is a joke and i'd suggest you stop ordering stuff from that place if that is their price. anyway if anyone knows any other places in the u.s. to actual purchase this stuff and have it delivered for 100% markup or less let me know, thanks.

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #587 of 3,348
Jamescodway - Do you mean swapping from stock cable, to say the HD650? If so, then there is a stark difference between the two, I think anyone could tell you that.

The grainy, tiny soundstage, metallic sound of the stock cable is just horrible imo. Glad I got my HD650 cable for free, so I could swap over straight away.

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #588 of 3,348
Yo Guys and Gals!

I've been religiously listening to my HD25-1, much to the chagrin of my DT150 = )

Is there any way to improve the highs on these cans? I love the beefy bottom end and relatively forward mid-range but the highs are lacking. Piano is especially rendered lifeless and somewhat muted and weak in presentation. This is a concern for me cuz I listen to a fair bit of Jazz, bop in particular and there are times when pianos and high notes come in and I'm left wanting more! Would the HD650 stock cable or the Headphile/Cardas/Equinox cable upgrade, or amp improve this?

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #589 of 3,348
Well start at the source and work your way up - is what this thread has taught me.

So look for a better soundcard (if you need) for your Macbook, and perhaps then start looking at cable replacements. The HD650 cable improves highs, mids, lows imo and is worth the low price. Of course the Cardas/Moon Audio will do a slightly better job, but how much are you willing to spend?

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #590 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jamescodway - Do you mean swapping from stock cable, to say the HD650? If so, then there is a stark difference between the two, I think anyone could tell you that.

The grainy, tiny soundstage, metallic sound of the stock cable is just horrible imo. Glad I got my HD650 cable for free, so I could swap over straight away.

XtremeD, Yes, absolutely
normal_smile .gif
but there are plenty of people who say they don't hear a difference between basic copper vs. steel... let alone boutique copper/silver etc.

The other point is the benefit(s) of amping HD25s. I appear to be in a small minority (on Head Fi at least) who thinks any kind of amp is worthwhile, let alone a decent desktop.

I absolutely concede HD25 is not very power hungry but I find the differences meaningful (esp. in intimacy/engagement) if not spectacular. I wouldn't buy a desktop amp for the HD25 specially but I'm very pleased I bought the GSP Voyager for them & the Solo sounds better again.

Perhaps I'd be happier (richer) If I didn't appreciate the differences with cable/amp etc. My only point here is to trust one's own ears and decide accordingly rather than just follow the perceived majority opinion... which taken to the nth degree would probably be 'stick with the ibuds'
wink.gif

James

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #591 of 3,348
No you made the right point there, it isn't worth getting an amp for the HD25, but if you have one, then of course use it and you will notice some difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #592 of 3,348
no offense but when 100 people say they notice a significant difference and that an amp isn't necessary on these, and 1 or 2 say the exact opposite, i know which side to listen to.

so anyway back to my question does anyone have a place in the u.s. to get the parts for these besides sennheiser us? if not i guess i'll bite the bullet and wait months for a piece of metal covered in plastic heh.

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #593 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahnoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no offense but when 100 people say they notice a significant difference and that an amp isn't necessary on these, and 1 or 2 say the exact opposite, i know which side to listen to.

so anyway back to my question does anyone have a place in the u.s. to get the parts for these besides sennheiser us? if not i guess i'll bite the bullet and wait months for a piece of metal covered in plastic heh.

noahnoa... do you trust your own opinion or that of 100 other people?

On the cable front, there are lots of places in Europe that will supply but it will be more than $11.

James

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #594 of 3,348
well until i have the cable i won't be able to form an opinion that's for sure. its just that buying an amp and not a cord for an hd25 seems like a pretty dumb way to start considering the majority of opinions in this thread. i noticed you have an hd650 cable on yours as well so are you just arguing to argue?

what are these sites? it doesn't matter if sennheiser charges 25 cents if they don't have them in stock. the one site you listed does not have the cable in question listed on their website. i'd appreciate a direct link to the cheapest uk site that has the cable listed on their site.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #595 of 3,348
Got mine for xmas, and they have prompted my return to head-fi.

Stunning things, sounded not bad out of the box, got better after a number hours, then maybe a little worse, now sound very nice indeed. Used then for the first time on the underground and they are pretty damn good. They don't quite cut out the sounds of the rail/wheel interface (sorry I'm an engineer on the tube
tongue.gif
) but it's good enough to cut out most of the noise, and all the stupid londoners with their ibuds and 90% volume meaning we all hear 'TSSSST TSSSSST TST'.

WIll try and have a compare to the HF-1s, but I haven't touched since I got the HD25s. Although one reason is that my windows install is dead and the HF-1s are my PC rig.

Might have to get a proper review up.

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #596 of 3,348
Hello,

Which 1.2 m (could be up to 1.4 m), 3.5 mm jack'd, OFC cable can you recommend for my HD 25-1's? I've got HD 25-13's stock cable but its 6.3 mm plug and length began to annoy me...

Thank you.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #597 of 3,348
Sorry i know this is supposed to be an appreciation thread but i just wanted to pose a quick question...I have heard such good reports on the HD25-1...I just wanted to make sure that the HD25-1-II delivers the same sq

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #599 of 3,348
new here,after looking arond for weeks i found this place.
smily_headphones1.gif

I know this is an appreciation thread, ..
so..here.
I love the Hd-25´s, just borrowd them of a friend, but im in love
biggrin.gif

the problem is, I cant afford the,should I save up? or is there another headphone that migth do "for now" ?

I can spend about half now,any recomendations?

thanks for an nice and edeucational thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #600 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry i know this is supposed to be an appreciation thread but i just wanted to pose a quick question...I have heard such good reports on the HD25-1...I just wanted to make sure that the HD25-1-II delivers the same sq

They are the same thing. The HD 25-1 II is the one you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back