hd25-1 impressions thread
Sep 28, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #556 of 3,348
After all my research, Ive narrowed my research down to these and the beyer dt150s but since I really want them for my ipod 20% of the time, the dt150s won't be a candidate anymore. Now the need for recabling is already worrying me before I even have them yet
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #557 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After all my research, Ive narrowed my research down to these and the beyer dt150s but since I really want them for my ipod 20% of the time, the dt150s won't be a candidate anymore. Now the need for recabling is already worrying me before I even have them yet
evil_smiley.gif

You can be doing fine with a 580/600 cable or a 650 cable. Either of these two Sennhisser cables can be purchased a lot of places but are cheapest from sennheisser directly. The stock cable which comes wioth the HD25's is bad but it is not necessary to spend $300 on a headphone cable. splurge and spend $25 on an HD-650 cable and your their.I have 2 HD25's and on my first pair I have a cable from a Denon d5000 headphone which died but i saved the cable and it appears to work with the HD25's but not the 580/600/650 headphones. I guess this cable likes low impedence headphones. The Sennheisser stock cables from their bigger phones are all you need.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #558 of 3,348
Ive read the cups can be reversed. So if this is the case, can i put equinox hd600 cables on them? That would be great because i have the hd600s with equinox so i can actually use the good cables while listening at home and put back the stock cables for portable use
biggrin.gif
Now, does anyone have any pics of these with cables hanging down instead if going toward the stock upward direction???

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #559 of 3,348
if you search or google hd25 cable mod that will show that, i believe
biggrin.gif

the google search will actually point you to this forum

also in some of the 'show us yer portable equipment' threads

the 580 cable works fine but (probably just me) i seem to have to buy a new one every 6 months or so, the wires in the jack plugs always cr*p out on me. most annoying. i wish they'd make a shorter cable OFC with right hand plug.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #560 of 3,348
pict1676ag0.jpg

Ok heres one. the headphile cable on the hd25s. Now the question is... Is it easy to reverse the cups like these or do you have to dismantle the cans?

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #563 of 3,348
if you use a 580 cable, you don't even need to turn them upside down, you could just pull the left/right cable apart some more & route them both thru' the groove on each headband part, remember to leave some slack at the plug-ends though. i use a small cable tie to secure the left wire to the left headband ramp. this saves them becoming detached accidentally.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #566 of 3,348
Ive decided to sell my amps because theres no added flavor for my HD25. The last 2 days, since not using an amp I am really enjoying the music again. Yes, without! I love my HD25 straight out the iPod. Seems all that amp talk really didnt matter for these babies. Happy to have found the essence again: thorough enjoyment of music!
atsmile.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #567 of 3,348
the hd25 is probably one of the most enjoyable headphones i have, and i use it with the stock steel cable! i dont even amp it with anything serious (emu0404usb and portables).

if the sound really improves with such a cheap upgrade, maybe ill give it a shot... and there really is no soldering/technical stuff to do right? all u do is reverse cups and plug+play?
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #569 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats correct mate. Just flippin the cups will do. I didnt believe until today that the cable really does make a difference. The stock cable sounds harsh. The HD650 cable much more enjoyable.

What this guy said I was impressed with how the HD25 sounds with just my ipod but through my predator with proper dock line out gives an obvios improvent.A good portable amp should improve these phnes for the better. you could probably get something inexpensive which is good like the little dot Mk1. The Predator is a much better amp but it's 5 times the price. The Little Dot Mk1 is a good value art around $125 or so. Worthyto check out. If your amp makes them sound weorse you have a bad amp.
Mitch

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #570 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good portable amp should improve these phnes for the better.

That didnt work for me. I used a Hornet and a Mini3 with two different iPods and I found the difference (real close to) non-existent. Im not sure if I was too concentrated on how the amps would enhance the sound but now that I do without the music sounds just great! Quite a few people here have said that these headphones do not profit from an amp and now I share that opinion. In the end its all subjective ofcourse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back