hd25-1 impressions thread
Oct 21, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #571 of 3,348
I love my HD25-1 as well. Got them used here quite a while ago (2-3 years) and I have to say they really are perfect for taking long scenic walks in the city, including taking transit. Isolation being the key word here - music is so much more enjoyable when you can't hear the traffic. They are perfect for travel too. They are about as portable as a headphone can be without being an earbud or a canalphone. They can be put around neck if need be and won't feel painful. They look cheapish so thieves would not look at them twice - a big bonus on the go or for leaving them at the office. And they can withstand abuse too. Mine are scratched a bit but I don't really mind, I just toss them wherever. I used them with steel cable as it's more practical than using those huge, long HD-650 cables.

I also don't feel they benefit from headphone amps, which is actually a plus if you think about it.

Only two minuses I can think of. One is price (esp. in Canada) - they are ridiculously overpriced, probably because they are geared towards professionals so the cost is not a primary concern. Head-Fi buy/sell forum was a godsend. The other is that they get tiresome if listening for a longer period, especially in hot weather.

However, the second reason was strong enough for me to get ATH-900 during my Japan trip (Akihabara FTW), which is now my preferred office headphone. Comfy enough to listen for the whole day and benefits from a dac/headphone amp (dusted off my iHP-120 for that). So I only use HD25-1 for walks outside now. And of course for travel.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #572 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive decided to sell my amps because theres no added flavor for my HD25. The last 2 days, since not using an amp I am really enjoying the music again. Yes, without! I love my HD25 straight out the iPod. Seems all that amp talk really didnt matter for these babies. Happy to have found the essence again: thorough enjoyment of music!
atsmile.gif

Man, I agree with this. I have a Zune that I plug mine straight into and it sounds so good. May be one of the reasons I'm starting to hate my KSC75s so much. I'm still just loathe to use the HD-25s during my commute (xpress bus) and have them sit in my office all day. But their sound is so killer I may just have to suck it up and relegate the Koss to yard work duty.

I've got a set of Beyer DT770 2005 consumers on the way and thought I might sell the Senns after a bit of listening. But they just work too well straight out of a player to do that.

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #573 of 3,348
My HD25s have given me quite a journey over the last the last 18 months...

TO: fully run in/velour/ALAC/650 cable/GSP Voyager... fully engaging

When I'm feeling lazy, this rig is good enough to to keep me on the couch rather than fish around for CDs, choose 650/701/RS-1 etc.
biggrin.gif

Its a good all rounder... decent detail and rarely sounds thin or harsh.

It took me around a year to understand/hear/appreciate the improvements... some of it is pretty subtle but I'm confident there's little or no placebo effect.

I know how great the Solo can make good open cans sound, esp from a decent source but I still find the HD25s with the portable rig sufficiently engaging for many recordings.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #574 of 3,348
Hi, i'm new here, have done alot of reading last 2 days, and ordered the HD25 yesterday!
Now i'm pretty sure i want to replace the stock cable with a hd650 cable.
But i'm mainly going to use a 3.5mm jack with an mp3player.
If i use the 650 cable with an convertor like so: 2 Pack Stereo Headphone Adapter 1/8" Plug 1/4" Jack - eBay (item 370126965098 end time Jan-06-09 15:56:38 PST)
Will this do the trick, and will i still benefit the plusses of the 650 cable?

I couldn't really find a clarifying answer yet, (probable becouse there's been so much talk on this topic allready, sorry!) hope someone can point this out for me! Thanks!

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #575 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, i'm new here, have done alot of reading last 2 days, and ordered the HD25 yesterday!
Now i'm pretty sure i want to replace the stock cable with a hd650 cable.
But i'm mainly going to use a 3.5mm jack with an mp3player.
If i use the 650 cable with an convertor like so: 2 Pack Stereo Headphone Adapter 1/8" Plug 1/4" Jack - eBay (item 370126965098 end time Jan-06-09 15:56:38 PST)
Will this do the trick, and will i still benefit the plusses of the 650 cable?

I couldn't really find a clarifying answer yet, (probable becouse there's been so much talk on this topic allready, sorry!) hope someone can point this out for me! Thanks!

If you are getting the 650 cable from Sennheiser, just get their adapter for the 650 cable part #092595. It will put less pressure on your headphone jack and it is only around $5-6.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #576 of 3,348
Anyone interested in a group by , I need three pair. HD25 1 - II

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #577 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are getting the 650 cable from Sennheiser, just get their adapter for the 650 cable part #092595. It will put less pressure on your headphone jack and it is only around $5-6.

or the Grado equivalent adapter... I find I can hear a +ve difference. Maybe a few more $ but worth it IMHO.

James

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #578 of 3,348
I have been looking for some closed headphones for £60-100, I had just about settled on the HD280's unitl I looked at what people had to say about them on this forum. I can get the HD-25's for just over £100 so are they a much better option? I will be listening via an ipod quite alot, so the question is are they ok without a dedicated amp? If not I will have to go back to the drawing board.

Are they comfy? Good for orchestral music?

Thanks

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #579 of 3,348
HD25-1 is OK direct out of a DAP, better with a cable upgrade & Grado adapter though. Soundstage is pretty small & intimate, so may not be great for orchestral? Opinions vary on comfort. With velour pads, I find them comfy for long periods.

HD280 has a larger soundstage and will sound ok out of almost anything but IMHO is clearly a class below HD25-1.

Depending on your habits and tastes, you may want to give some further consideration to options esp. for orchestral.

HD215 (cheaper) could be worth auditioning for closed & larger soundstage. Also Denon D1000... keep listening & looking.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #580 of 3,348
Hey, I recently tried to place an order for a pair of hd25 velour pads, a 650 replacement cable and 1/4-1/8" adapter from sennheiser. after charging me for the order (authorization is as good as a charge with a paypal debit card) they told me it would be backordered until february! is there any decent resellers of these items out there? maybe i can get the grado adapter this time as well. I don't care if it costs more I just don't want to wait for months in the hope that sennheiser will get off their butt and send me something I seriously doubt they are out of for that long. not to mention nowhere on the site did it say they would be backordered, bad business these days if you ask me. any referrals to reseller's/retailers which actually have them in stock either in this thread or via pm would be greatly appreciated. i've had the 25's for years mainly for djing and have loved them but really want to upgrade them to the next level. and no i dont' care if the new cable is more "fragile" as some claim i'm all about the best sound! thanks!

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #581 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahnoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've had the 25's for years mainly for djing and have loved them but really want to upgrade them to the next level. and no i dont' care if the new cable is more "fragile" as some claim i'm all about the best sound! thanks!

Are you planning to amp them?

James

P.S. the pads, cable & grado adapter are readily adapter from many UK dealers but I guess that's not much use to you? But just in case... one example Hi-fi and Audio Visual Equipment Suppliers, Middlesex - Harrow Audio

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #582 of 3,348
no from the sounds of it amping them wouldn't do much good and it would just be a waste of money and space for me anyway i think.

list off the uk sites if you have them handy i'll try and find one with a reasonable us shipping rate if there is one. thanks for any & all help!

just looked on that site you listed and I couldn't find anything listed for hd650 cables btw.

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #583 of 3,348
Amping is not night and day but to me, a decent amp for HD25 is the difference between engagement with the music and not... YMMV
normal_smile .gif

Harrow audio will supply HD650 cable (I have bought 2 or 3 sets for different cans from the shop) but even at current exchange it'll be a ~$30 + shipping.

It looks like you can order direct from Sennheiser website?

Retail 2002

Good luck
o2smile.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #584 of 3,348
Hmm alot of people have said the opposite for the HD25 and amps. That's why I am now trying to get the best "source" possible from my computer.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #585 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm alot of people have said the opposite for the HD25 and amps.

A lot of people on Head-fi say the cable swap makes no difference
wink.gif

I say try it yourself & judge then... either way, for you, you're right
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back