hd25-1 impressions thread
Jul 16, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #526 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by rokin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings HD25 users! Just a quick question, has anybody used their HD25-1's unamped with a Sansa Clip? If so what do you think, and do you think a headphone amp is NEEDED? I know the clip probably won't do the HD25-1's full justice but I would just like to know if an amp is needed and if so how badly?

Hopefully my wallet won't have to take another hit too soon after I get the headphones!

Hi! I've been using the clip with my HD25-1s for about a week. I'm enjoying them a lot right now without an amp. So in that sense I can say that an amp is not needed. I've read from others saying that an amp is not needed also. They seem be as loud as my MS-1s. I think this is because of the more sensitive HD25 drivers. Also, I'm using the hd650 cables shortened to 4ft, terminated to a mini and softer earpads, so I havent tried the stock steel cable with the clip. I don't have a lot of experience with these headphones amped or on other setups so I simply don't know what I'm missing. I'm a newb (first post). Recently, I've found that you can get a little more out of the clip by turning up all 5 of the equalizer bands by 5 clicks. At 7 clicks I was noticing distortion. Even before that I was fine with the normal EQ settings. With normal EQ settings and the volume at 100 its pretty loud an clear, probably ear damaging. I've also always used the loud setting in the volume settings, as normal is no loud enough for me. I'll have to do more listening to see whether I'll keep the EQ like that or not, same with the hd650 cable. Instead of testing I've just been enjoying the music instead.
I've read that the hd650 cables are "sonically a step down" from the stock steels and that messing with the Clips EQ is blasphemy, not sure about the way I did it though (with all equal). It seems the consensus is that the hd650 cables improve the hd25s.

That said, I'm still curious as hell to hear what the differences an amp would make to the sound compared to just a clip too, since they are recommended for these headphones. Maybe I'll try the cheapo Fiio amp, because I'm not ready to spend the money on a more expensive amp without hearing it. I just wish they had black though. I've also been looking into the mini3 amps and a DIY cable.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #527 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocksteady /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the hd650 cables are "sonically a step down" from the stock steels and that messing with the Clips EQ is blasphemy, not sure about the way I did it though (with all equal). It seems the consensus is that the hd650 cables improve the hd25s.

That said, I'm still curious as hell to hear what the differences an amp would make to the sound compared to just a clip too, since they are recommended for these headphones. Maybe I'll try the cheapo Fiio amp, because I'm not ready to spend the money on a more expensive amp without hearing it. I just wish they had black though. I've also been looking into the mini3 amps and a DIY cable.

Hi and welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif
Regarding the HD650 cable comment, I know whose comment you're referring to; personally I wouldn't put much weight on it. Although of course, I don't believe there's a difference to begin with anyway. I'm using an HD600 cable because I wanted the extra length, straight plug and left-sided entry.

I'm not sure if you'll find the Fiio and most other portable amps (although the Fiio is so cheap it would do absolutely no harm to try it!) to make an appreciable difference, and regarding other portable amps: the point of the HD25-1 is that it's suitable for portable use without a dedicated amp. Consider saving for an entry-level desktop DAC/amp for use with your PC, which can be equal to or even cheaper than more expensive, lesser-performing portable amps.

And sorry for your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #528 of 3,348
Hey Guys!
I just recently purchased a hd 25.
This is my first "real" headphone purchase.
And I noticed a difference between the hd25 model I have and the ones I see on the web. The ones on the web seem to have a battery looking graphic (or whatever is it) and has the words hd 25-1 II below it, and then 70 ohms written below that on the earcup.

The ones i have though are missing the graphic on the earcup. They only have the words hd 25-1 II and 70 ohms written on the earcup.
By any chance, can these be a fake? Or are they simply a newer model of hd-25's?

Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it. xD

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #529 of 3,348
picture ftw :] Although I doubt that fake HD25's exist atm

actually iirc, my pair didn't have the senn logo on the right ear cup either, if that's what you're talking about.

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #531 of 3,348
Do they have: Sennheiser made in Ireland written on the headband?

As far as amping goes; they will benefit but so little and to such a sacrifice to portability that its really not worth it. Unless you want to spend a bit and get a nice amp you won't notice too much (maybe a bit more control and more low end). And if you are going to spend some money and get a nice amp you might as well get some cans that can utilize it well. The steel wire is no good as its really microphonic and too short, and it does have a punchier sound to it. Sennheiser makes a 10 foot, 1/4 plug copper wire that is single sided (made for HD-25's not 6x0 series) that is quite nice.

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #532 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by beg2differ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Guys!
I just recently purchased a hd 25.
This is my first "real" headphone purchase.
And I noticed a difference between the hd25 model I have and the ones I see on the web. The ones on the web seem to have a battery looking graphic (or whatever is it) and has the words hd 25-1 II below it, and then 70 ohms written below that on the earcup.

The ones i have though are missing the graphic on the earcup. They only have the words hd 25-1 II and 70 ohms written on the earcup.
By any chance, can these be a fake? Or are they simply a newer model of hd-25's?

Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it. xD

Mine also only has "HD25-1 II, 75Ω" on the capsule.
smile.gif
It appears that they don't put that logo on the capsule anymore in their newer models.

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #533 of 3,348
if i was a hifi person i may look to other phones, but they're very good for portable, better when you upgrade the cable.

the ONLY niggle i have is not with the phones, but i seem to be buying a cable (the hd580 one) every year because the solder goes inside the jack plug.

but this is 3m cable so it could be partly my own cable management at fault. i just wish senn jack plugs were a bit more sturdy. i'm thinking of a custom cable for them instead now.

Aug 20, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #534 of 3,348
Just bought a set of HD25 1 II's and they are great....for what little listening that I have gotten on them from my D2 and iBasso Boa. Great isolation and a very present sound. Do they burn in?
The mids do see a bit strangled in comparison to my MS2i's but the detail is great. I turned right around and ordered a HD600 cable.
I'm not a "Cable True Believer" but a good copper cable has GOT to be better than steel.....

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #535 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought a set of HD25 1 II's and they are great....for what little listening that I have gotten on them from my D2 and iBasso Boa. Great isolation and a very present sound. Do they burn in?
The mids do see a bit strangled in comparison to my MS2i's but the detail is great. I turned right around and ordered a HD600 cable.
I'm not a "Cable True Believer" but a good copper cable has GOT to be better than steel.....

Stock steel vs HD600 copper cable, I didn't hear any difference. I'm a non-believer though so you can take this anyway you want (I won't mind).
smile.gif

But one thing you might want to keep in mind: the stock steel cable is near indestructible, the cable itself doesn't coil and tangle easily, and the L/R connectors are very tight and secure. I get mine caught up, stepped on, yanked etc. all the time since I use them everywhere on-the-go and this is a huge boon for me.

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #536 of 3,348
I'll be sure to not take the cans apart during the A/B of the 600 cable. Just plug and play.
I just got to A/B them with the only other cans I have access to right now (PX100s...My MS2i's are getting reterminated) and was more than a little impressed! I really like my older PX100s and have always thought of them as a reasonable substitute when I couldn't wear my Alessandros. While that is still true, I'd place the SQ of the HD25s much nearer to the MS2i's (different...yes..like a good Cabernet is different from a good Pinot). If burn in and/or the new cable improves these I'll be happy as a clam.
These are so far and away better than my old ATH-ES7's (real ones). A LOT better.
Very clean and detailed (if a bit clinical) sound. Fast, great isolation, good bass but maybe just a bit sibelent. Upper mids may be a little recessed.

I love these cans.

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #537 of 3,348
i reckon hd25-1 belongs in portable section, cups are kinda small, good isolation blah blah blah... they're kinda unique though, it's the replaceable parts that have so far led me to forgive them of their weird looking design, & not go running to the shops for IEM's... so far.

anyways i noticed the difference in cable, this was long before i changed the pads. wether you change the cable or not, fitting velour pads will change the sound for the better imo. a bit less bass, & no longer feels like being kicked in the head at loud volumes.

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #538 of 3,348
I really have to be attentive to keeping the volume within limits (I’m 50 and my hearing is precious) and I really do not listen to basshead stuff…mostly to jazz and indie/alt/chamber/folk. I like good bass but not bloated, flatulent bass. I especially like hearing the fingers on the string and the pluck of an upright jazz bass.
As for size…these are definitely not portable. PX100s are portable, these…not so much. Less so than even my MS2i’s.
And the looks...that matters? Form follows function.
What is the isolation difference between the pleather pads and the velour?

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #539 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i reckon hd25-1 belongs in portable section, cups are kinda small, good isolation blah blah blah... they're kinda unique though, it's the replaceable parts that have so far led me to forgive them of their weird looking design, & not go running to the shops for IEM's... so far.

I guess it's because they're designed to be DJ/studio/ENG phones that incidentally happens to be good for portable use, as opposed to a portable phone per se.

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #540 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the isolation difference between the pleather pads and the velour?

there is a small amount of diffusion (less seal) because of the velour covering compared to the plastic covering on the stock pads. also the pleather pads keep their shape better than the velours. but you can rotate them so no problem. they don't leak that much (only noticeable at high volume). with the pleather pads the bass is being pushed directly into the ears, so that is more prominent imo (esp at higher vol.) but with velours the rest of the music gets a better look in, but bass is still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back