hd25-1 impressions thread
Dec 29, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #361 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfort-wise the Bose is definitly better but the overall sound-quality of the Sennheiser stomps it down :wink: ... the Tripot IMO has a very ugly emphasis on treble :-/

Now that I'm a little better-educated, is your comparison to the Bose Triport with the unmodified HD 25-1, or with the cable replaced?

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #363 of 3,348
I've just received my HD25-1's - modded with HD600 cable/driven by RSA Tomahawk amp - and have been using them for the past half hour.

First thing ive noticed is that there FAR more sensitive than my HD25sp's to the point that im thinking about setting the amp on low gain.

The bass appears to be a bit overpowering at the moment - though the headfier i bought it off (Jirams) says they only have about 60 hours on them so i GUESS it's yet to burn-in properly.

On that note - will the bass settle down somewhat after burn in - i dearly hope so.

Oh - can anyone tell me what specific gains they experienced when using a HD600 cable with there HD25-1's as opposed to the stock cable and are there noticeable difference's between the 600 and 650 cable in sound and construction.

thanks for any help given.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #364 of 3,348
Im a bit dissapointed with the stock pair. Not sound wise, on the contrary. The issue is that the cups move way too easy downward. The parts of the headband where the cups are seated are too thin. First of all movement will cause the cup to go down on the cable side. Also movement when walking will cause them to go down. I never used to have that when I owned the SPs. Im considering buying a SP headband. For now I wrapped tape around the headband to prevent the cups from moving. I expected more from these headphones given the price.
Did anyone else have this issue?

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #365 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im a bit dissapointed with the stock pair. Not sound wise, on the contrary. The issue is that the cups move way to easy downward. The parts of the headband where the cups are seated are too thin. First off all movement will cause the cup go down on the cable side. Also movement when walking will cause them to go down. I never used to have that when I owned the SPs. Im considering buying a SP headband. For now I wrapped tape around the headband to prevent the cups from moving. I expected more from these headphones given the price.

I have never had this issue, and I don't treat my HD25's very well!

cheers
Simon

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #366 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im a bit dissapointed with the stock pair. Not sound wise, on the contrary. The issue is that the cups move way too easy downward. The parts of the headband where the cups are seated are too thin. First of all movement will cause the cup to go down on the cable side. Also movement when walking will cause them to go down. I never used to have that when I owned the SPs. Im considering buying a SP headband. For now I wrapped tape around the headband to prevent the cups from moving. I expected more from these headphones given the price.

I've never had that issue while listening to them & moving. When they're in the travel bag and being transported sure the headcups lose positioning and I have to readjust them.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #368 of 3,348
Hmm. Do you think these have better sound than the ER6i? How are they compared to isolation?

Since I find IEM's not INCREDIBLY comfortable, these might be better...

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #369 of 3,348
The tape does a very good job. I can bang my head now if I really would want to. I also like the cable much better entering both cups and not the typical one side entry. Waiting for HD650 cables to arrive. Lets see what this cable talk is all about
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #370 of 3,348
another headfier chiming in:

Been using mine all weekend... the best thing about these phones is the portability. I was using them for mixing, connected them to my iPod and went to the office where I plugged them into my laptop. Never left my head
smily_headphones1.gif
They sound excellent unamped, and very good from a 1G nano.

Isolation is very good and the seal ensures a consistent bass with any head movement. Comfort, a little uncomfortable, just enough that you move them around once and while to give your ears some relief.

Last year was very happy to have the HD-280s, before that the AKG K271S, and before that the MDR7506. All great headphones...though none perfect.

My initial impressions of the HD25 is they are like having better HD-280s. There is a sonic similarity. Wish I had them still for comparison. What I do remember, was that I was more than happy to let my HD280s go and keep the HD555s. The HD25 is in a different league. It bests both of these phones in sonic quality. The HD25 has a decent soundstage too, not as big as the the HD555, but not much smaller.

Recently I have been listening to my HD-555s less. I think I may be bored with their sound signature. In comparison, the HD-25-IIs have deeper bass and impact that is more controlled, with the overall sound signature being nmore neutral. This headphone is well suited to its application, perfect for engineering and monitoring. For percussion, the HD25 is more focused as well. The HD555s are great for their typical price though. I've A/B'd them, and both are great, with the HD555 being tailored towards its application of entertainment.

The good news for headfiers who may just want the HD25 just for listening - they are not as harsh as the MDRV7506, not as bass shy as the AKG K271, and are more compact than the cybermen sized HD-280s.

I got a fantastic deal, $100 CDN - lightly used. At this price these are easily the best phones I've bought. I'll still stand by the AKG K271 though, even though they're long gone. Fine phones.

Note: DJs may still prefer a coiled or longer cord as the one that comes standard with the HD-25 is quite short.

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #371 of 3,348
For -

Critical listening

Referencing mixes, mine and others

Tracking guitars right next to screaming valve amps

Throwing round, stamping on, general abuse

I swear by my HD 25-I's.

They sound fantastic, they're comfortable, un-fatigueing, light and tough as coffin nails.

I love 'em. Go-to headphones.

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #372 of 3,348
To HD 25 owners: Can anyone tell me please if there is any degradation of sound quality on HD 25 when the left earpad is rotated ? Also are then the surrounding sounds, approaching cars etc. well audible ? Is speech recognazible ? Is that rotated earpad suitable also for longer listenings ?

Also can please someone compare bass quauntity of HD 25 vs. Koss Porta Pro ? Which one has more ? And also can someone compare size ? From various images I got an idea they are about the same size (HD 25 vs. KPP), is that correct ?

And finally if someone owns both HD 25 and Triple.fi, can you please compare the SQ ? Is there some "easily ahead" winner or is it more matter of sound & musical preference ?

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #373 of 3,348
My dad had a pair since I was, eh, like 2 or 3, probably. They're still alive and I bet they don't sound as good as the new ones, but they're not bad. He uses them for mixing (Not DJ-ing, mind you, mixing bands) most of the time. They used to amaze me, but I have Dt880's now...

Still, they're nice.

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #374 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by appletree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also can please someone compare bass quauntity of HD 25 vs. Koss Porta Pro ? Which one has more ? And also can someone compare size ?

I own both headphones and there is not that much difference in bass quantity between both of them. Maybe the PP has a little bit more but thats just minor.
The main difference is tightness and tonal separation between bass and mids/highs. The HD25 betters the PP IMO in every category concerning bass!
Its quite punchy, more deep and better textured in contrast to the PP.

The senn is noticable bigger than the PP... but nothing to worry about outdoors
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back