hd25-1 impressions thread
Mar 22, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #106 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a three year absence, the HD25-1's are back in the fold. Tried many, many cans in-between, open, closed, IEM, portable and unportable, and ultimately, I'm full circle.

They are not the best sounding I've heard, they aren't the most portable, they aren't the most comfortable, and aren't the best looking either, but they are the best compromise of all. Happy to have them once again!!! This time, they are here to stay...
biggrin.gif

Time for a recable
very_evil_smiley.gif

i really couldn't agree with you more EyeAmEye

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #107 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not the best sounding I've heard, they aren't the most portable, they aren't the most comfortable, and aren't the best looking either, but they are the best compromise of all.

Heheh. If an individual headphone were to ever keep a slogan, this is the one.

"Sennheiser HD25-1: Clunky, old and ugly. Go ahead, try some other ones. You'll be back."

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #108 of 3,348
I just walked by a coworkers desk and saw a pair on his desk. =T

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #109 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heheh. If an individual headphone were to ever keep a slogan, this is the one.

"Sennheiser HD25-1: Clunky, old and ugly. Go ahead, try some other ones. You'll be back."

Hear that, Sennheiser? I should be running their ad campaigns, hell, they can slap my ugly mug on the ad, too. Make the world hate me more than Jared from Subway...
icon10.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #110 of 3,348
i'm tempted to go for these babes or the shure e4.
any suggestions folks?
wink.gif

about this recableing job i always read about:
which cable (cheap!) is the recommendation around here?
and do the velour pads make such a difference?

thanks

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #111 of 3,348
Recabling= HD580 stock cables. You can shove the wire into the headphone band channel and retain the 1 sided cord

Shorten the cables, stick on a connector, you're good. Check out the links in Lisa's sig.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #112 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which cable (cheap!) is the recommendation around here?
and do the velour pads make such a difference?

Velour pads will make them more comfortable but decrease the isolation.

The stock cable will deliver 100% of the full signal- if you want one that's less microphonic, more durable, or longer, you could switch to something else, but other than that, there's no reason to for this type of signal.

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #113 of 3,348
thanks rodbac!
cable length is not the issue, i read that the sound sig. can be greatly improved with a different cable.

which cable is inexpensive and can be "installed" with little hassle???

microphonics can be a bother...
but hey, i'll try em with the stock cable and see how i fare...

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #114 of 3,348
I have seen the standard hd650 cable being recommended for the hd25. I have a HD650 but haven't bothered with trying it on, mostly because it will mean that I can't use the cable "single-ended" anymore, without performing surgery on the cable I guess.

I'm a happy geezer with the stock hd25 for portable use!

Mar 23, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #115 of 3,348
I'm using the Sennheiser 414 cable (IIRC). as it's pretty thin, I can still route it through the headband. by wrapping the left cord around the base of the cord holder (as seen on the picture), I can shorten it to the right length without having to cut it. excellent!

this was a tip I found somewhere on HF, not trying to steal the credit...

431281894_bfc17d9b4b.jpg

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #118 of 3,348
If you don't care about having a single sided cord, you can alternatively remove the cups from the headband, flip them upside down, and place back on the band. You have a dual entry with the cables coming into the cups via the bottom.

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #119 of 3,348
I had the HD-25. I liked them and they were good for commuting on the NYC subways, but sold them. I much prefer my Shure e4, 45 and e500 soundwise and portability to the HD-25s. They were good, cost me about $160 new, and I did not dislike them, but when I decided to go with my IEMs that I mainly used for gym and warmer weather commuting, full year round even including winter commuting, I could not go back. The sound was superior to me, and I preferred the better blocking out of news and comfort. To me. For my tastes and preferences, at least, at the Shure E4 level and higher, I preferred these IEMs to the HD-25s. I don't mean to sour this good appreciation thread as folks here are very happy with there's want to keep them, and that is what matters. Just relaying my tenure with these cans (about 1 year).

- walkman

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #120 of 3,348
Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered a pair. They cost more than they should have (225 euro) but I got treated kindly in the store, the guy immediately ran sennheiser to see if they had a few in stock, and how fast they could ship, and I'm willing to pay a bit for that kind of service.

I should have them tuesday, I'm stoked.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back