hd25-1 impressions thread
Apr 4, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #136 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1984 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again mate.

A couple more things

Does everyone use these headphones amped? Or are they good to do straight from an iPod?

How easy is the cable replacement procedure and where do I ger the Senn cables from in the UK?

Thanks.

I use mine amped exclusively.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #137 of 3,348
My primary (and final) setup is now the HD25-1 with 4ft. Cardas terminated with a mini plug, connected to the Kenwood HD30GB9. It's a fantastic setup, and I'm totally satisfied with it. The Cardas made a huge improvement, if you can believe that. I usually prefer it to the A900LTD. The Cardas connectors don't fit it nearly as well as teh connectors on the stock steel cable though, so they occasionally come out, and I'm afraid the HD25-1 sockets will wear out eventually. When I get time, I plan on hardwiring them with Homegrown silver. That will fix everything.

I'll hopefully get pics up soon.

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #138 of 3,348
I don't need any more headphones!!
frown.gif
I want a pair of HD-25s now...thanks a lot, head-fi!

These sound like just what I need when I don't want to use my Vibes with my portable rig. I haven't been able to find them for less than $199 new, and, as has been mentioned, there don't seem to be any used ones for sale. Sigh. I may have to wait a bit, since I can't resist a headphile cable upgrade in addition to the cost of the HD-25s. Too much money. And, I DON'T NEED ANY MORE HEADPHONES! (I'm yelling at myself, not you guys.)

Also, where do you get replacement velour pads for the HD-25s in the USA? (I might as well spend all the money I don't have!
biggrin.gif
)

Holly

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #139 of 3,348
My right channel sometimes cuts out, this sometimes happens when I re-adjust the earcup. I'm thinking it's a cable problem, because where the cable dissapears in the headband it seems slightly damaged. After some more investigating I can say it's definitely the corner/gutter the cable is lying in, it seems to be chipping in my cable.

Anyone else have the same problem? If so, how'd you fix it? Right now I'm thinking rounding off the courner would seem to do the trick, I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.

I don't want to send mine in, I use them about 4-5 hours a day commuting back and forth to school, and I can't really go without them anymore. Should I just buy a new cable and hope it doesn't happen again, or upgrade the cable at once? How long are HD600/650 cables? I managed to locate an internet store in the Netherlands, but they didn't have any info about the cable.

If it's too long, can it be terminated? Reason I'm asking is because to me the standard HD25-1 is the perfect length.

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #140 of 3,348
I just got mine from thomann for 155e and it's really different from my etys: much more bass, larger sound. I'm lovin' it.
Next stage: trying them amped.

2ndbest, you should take a look at thomann, they also sell replacement cables and ship to Europe
smily_headphones1.gif

Bonus question: can I put a hd650 cable in place of my hd-25-1? Is it worth it or should I get a pricer cable?

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #141 of 3,348
Just wanted to say thanks to the people who answered my questions recently.

I bought a pair of HD25-1's today and a pair of the velour pads (so much more comfy than the leather ones).
I'm amazed so far, currently using the stock cable though.

Any recommendations for a good cable replacement that would keep the cord length reasonable? Around 1.5m max.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #142 of 3,348
Apr 13, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #143 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah what the heck, I don't mind making a prat of myself. I've recabled these HD25s with an HD600 cable, and also replaced the pads with velour ones.

(Pics)

You can use an HD580/HD600 cable and still keep them single-ended? I've been looking at getting a pair, but thought the only solution for getting a new cable while keeping them single-entry was to get a rather expensive HD25-13 copper replacement cable.

But seeing that is very encouraging, especially since Sennheiser has been known on at least one occasion to give away a free 580 cable on a phone call, and that all of the HD580 and HD600 owners recabling with the HD650 cable would probably sell the original for cheap.

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #144 of 3,348
mhm, just got my hd25s yesterday.
they are used + have a loose contact in the 1/4th plug, that's why i got em for free!
eek.gif
icon10.gif

just ordered the velours pads and the hd650 cable from thomann.de

when i tried them for the first time the sound was strange and a little disapointing, i was expecting wonderful new sound scapes...
after some hours i went back to my beloved ck7s and behold i found them weak + "recessed"!?
confused.gif

i guess i got used to my new babies quickly
wink.gif

thomann be quick and send the new cable, i'm dying to take these outside!

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #145 of 3,348
Just got mine in the mail today. Even without any sort of burn in and just using the stock cable it's rather nice sounding. I was shocked at the level of isolation (and the vicegrip... but I guess that comes with the seal).

Next stop: Velour pads and an HD600 cable.

Interestingly enough if you wanted to do business completely at the Sennheiser store you can find a refurbished one for $180... granted a new one from certain stores are the same price but I guess it would save on the shipping if you're doing pads/cables as well.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #146 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My right channel sometimes cuts out, this sometimes happens when I re-adjust the earcup. I'm thinking it's a cable problem, because where the cable dissapears in the headband it seems slightly damaged. After some more investigating I can say it's definitely the corner/gutter the cable is lying in, it seems to be chipping in my cable.

Anyone else have the same problem? If so, how'd you fix it? Right now I'm thinking rounding off the courner would seem to do the trick, I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.

Am I the only person with this problem?

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #147 of 3,348
Hi,Guys!

I love HD25-1 too.
biggrin.gif

Yokosuka Guy

こんにちはみなさん。
私もHD25-1を愛してます。

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #148 of 3,348
waiting for mine
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #149 of 3,348
So, people have been comparing these to other portable headphones, but not so much to other closed headphones like the DT770. Does it measure up to something like the Beyer DT770?

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #150 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, people have been comparing these to other portable headphones, but not so much to other closed headphones like the DT770. Does it measure up to something like the Beyer DT770?

I'm sure some people will prefer the sound of the HD25-1 over the DT770. The HD25 is certainly the slighty more neutral sounding headphone. I like the DT770's sonic signature, but the enhanced bass of the DT770 is not for everyone.

The HD25-1 is good enough it can stand up there sonically with any headphone in the $300 and under price range, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back