hd25-1 impressions thread
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #3,151 of 3,348
Interesting. Always thought the HD25 had midbass bloat+sharp treble. Thats howni hear them at least.

The midbass issue can be fixed by damping the cups (kit available from Custom Cans in the UK).

I have found that a good quality pure copper cable (I use one from FAW) helps tame the treble spike.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #3,153 of 3,348
I never used the aluminium version, I have the regular one. That bass bump is there for sure, but it's not muddy or messy, I find it elegant in a way, compred to many other basshead headphones. The bass bump is great for outdoors I think. I swapped both cable and pads. Could not be happier with them. Because of these heaphones I just gave up on iems completely, the chifi iem thing it's a bit of a gimmick in comparison.

That being said, I have also the 6XX, these are more comfortable for longer use, much more comfortable, better pads, much more detail, more sounstage being open, much better vocals, vocals tone.

A dream headphones for me would be an HD600 series with the sound signature or freq overall response of the hd25... maybe HD660s is already that?

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #3,157 of 3,348
I never used the aluminium version, I have the regular one. That bass bump is there for sure, but it's not muddy or messy, I find it elegant in a way, compred to many other basshead headphones. The bass bump is great for outdoors I think. I swapped both cable and pads. Could not be happier with them. Because of these heaphones I just gave up on iems completely, the chifi iem thing it's a bit of a gimmick in comparison.

That being said, I have also the 6XX, these are more comfortable for longer use, much more comfortable, better pads, much more detail, more sounstage being open, much better vocals, vocals tone.

A dream headphones for me would be an HD600 series with the sound signature or freq overall response of the hd25... maybe HD660s is already that?
The extra sub bass extension and control alongside the smoother mids and highs make it a certain upgrade to the stock hd25. I had the adidas hd25 but sold it since I never used it due to the aluminium being superior.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #3,158 of 3,348

I suppose you might like the Beyer DT990s...

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #3,159 of 3,348
The extra sub bass extension and control alongside the smoother mids and highs make it a certain upgrade to the stock hd25. I had the adidas hd25 but sold it since I never used it due to the aluminium being superior amperior.
There, I fixed that for you :D

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #3,161 of 3,348
There, I fixed that for you :D
Clever indeed, but the Amperior does have a different lower impedance driver (18ohm) compared to the hd25 (70ohm) aluminium:scream::deadhorse:, hence the aluminium sounding more organic than the Amperior (also because of pad differences, the hd25 aluminium pads are now unavailable everywhere), and more controlled and detailed than the stock HD25 (which has the same driver) due to better dampening and resonating aspects of the Aluminium cups. Last year I was able to pick up a mint HD25 adidas edition for a nickle, I did some heavy A-B testing with both the HD25 and Alu's, swapping around pads on both models too, the HD25 Adidas was never able to reach the the Aluminium's level of detail, control and warmth despite running the Adidas with the pads of the HD25 Alu's.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #3,162 of 3,348
Clever indeed, but the Amperior does have a different lower impedance driver (18ohm) compared to the hd25 (70ohm) aluminium:scream::deadhorse:, hence the aluminium sounding more organic than the Amperior (also because of pad differences, the hd25 aluminium pads are now unavailable everywhere), and more controlled and detailed than the stock HD25 (which has the same driver) due to better dampening and resonating aspects of the Aluminium cups. Last year I was able to pick up a mint HD25 adidas edition for a nickle, I did some heavy A-B testing with both the HD25 and Alu's, swapping around pads on both models too, the HD25 Adidas was never able to reach the the Aluminium's level of detail, control and warmth despite running the Adidas with the pads of the HD25 Alu's.
I was making a joke on superior/amperior. I have the aluminums and I agree they are super and an upgrade over the plastic ones. I didn't hear an Amperior.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #3,163 of 3,348
the still sell the aluminium ones? what was the price? how much better i the detail if the drivers are the same? certainly not 220$ hd6XX better, right? Just wondering. I would love an set of hd25 in black aluminium anodized, matt black. And a red japanese copper cable, oiyade i think it's the brand... that would be cool. But I bet very expensive.

I like the hd25 format, great thing for 99€, with two sets of pads included. I would happily pay 200 or 300€ for a much better version, with better drivers. Or 200€ with the alu caps and some proper cables and pads included. Wuld be awesome, for all the sennheiser people reading this.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #3,164 of 3,348
the still sell the aluminium ones? what was the price? how much better i the detail if the drivers are the same? certainly not 220$ hd6XX better, right? Just wondering. I would love an set of hd25 in black aluminium anodized, matt black. And a red japanese copper cable, oiyade i think it's the brand... that would be cool. But I bet very expensive.

I like the hd25 format, great thing for 99€, with two sets of pads included. I would happily pay 200 or 300€ for a much better version, with better drivers. Or 200€ with the alu caps and some proper cables and pads included. Wuld be awesome, for all the sennheiser people reading this.
No, it has been unobtanium for a long time. I bought a used pair from a guy on here, disassembled them completely and soaked all the parts in Simple Green. Recabled, new pads, they're great.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/show-us-your-vintage-headphones.420490/page-164#post-15326573

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #3,165 of 3,348

I think the Alu's had an msrp of 300 euro at the time. They were more of a limited anniversary edition. It's hard to compare a closed on ear with a open over ear headphone though, but I can certainly say that the Alu's are very fast and detailed headphone. They dont have the soundstage of an open over ear but its still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back