hd25-1 impressions thread
Aug 3, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #2,837 of 3,348
Aug 3, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,838 of 3,348
So who has tried these out?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Ear-Pads-Cushion-pillow-For-HD-25-1-HD25-1ii-HD25SP-HMD25-HME25-HMEC25-/172032579280

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #2,839 of 3,348
  So who has tried these out?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Ear-Pads-Cushion-pillow-For-HD-25-1-HD25-1ii-HD25SP-HMD25-HME25-HMEC25-/172032579280

$94 !!!!!!!!!

Makes Yaxi super duper cheap...

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #2,840 of 3,348
My good ol' HD 25-1 II are getting a bit worn out: the headband click is a bit loose on one side and the earcup slides down quite easily. 

Could anybody who has had an experience with the Aluminium edition tell me if the headband clicky has been upgraded on this model like on the new ones?

I have a chance grabbing the alu for slightly less than $200. Wondering if I should choose the latter or turn to the new HD25 models. Or I could just keep upgrading my old buddy, but that'll prove costly (the headband itself costs $80, let alone the cable that I'll have to replace sooner or later ($50), etc).

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,841 of 3,348
"Click"?
New ones are probably made in China, if that matters to you.
Aluminium is discontinued, and its parts production probably stopped, so Sennheiser will only carry spare parts to repair it for a limited number of years, I imagine.  Meanwhile, the current, regular HD25 has been going strong since 2002 and looks to be continuing on for some time yet.
You don't have to, and I don't recommend, spending that much for a cable if it bothers you.  That (overpriced) Sennheiser cable is nothing special - not good, not great, not exemplary, just passable and decently durable, I say.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #2,842 of 3,348
  "Click"?
New ones are probably made in China, if that matters to you.
Aluminium is discontinued, and its parts production probably stopped, so Sennheiser will only carry spare parts to repair it for a limited number of years, I imagine.  Meanwhile, the current, regular HD25 has been going strong since 2002 and looks to be continuing on for some time yet.
You don't have to, and I don't recommend, spending that much for a cable if it bothers you.  That (overpriced) Sennheiser cable is nothing special - not good, not great, not exemplary, just passable and decently durable, I say.

On the mention of cables, any suggestions? 

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #2,843 of 3,348
As far as I know the new HD-25 are still made in Ireland (you have the label on the inner side of the headband). When I talk about "click" I mean the headband getting loose, meaning the earcup would fall easily.

Made a cheap fix for now and it holds pretty well:

For cables I don't really have any suggestion as I've always used the stock cable (and been quite satisfied with it).

I might just keep my current 25s and tweak it from time to time.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,844 of 3,348
As far as I know the new HD-25 are still made in Ireland (you have the label on the inner side of the headband). When I talk about "click" I mean the headband getting loose, meaning the earcup would fall easily.

Made a cheap fix for now and it holds pretty well:

For cables I don't really have any suggestion as I've always used the stock cable (and been quite satisfied with it).

I might just keep my current 25s and tweak it from time to time.

Ah see I like the stock cable too, but mine is on it's last legs. Was just wondering if you had opted for something different yourself :) 

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,845 of 3,348
  My good ol' HD 25-1 II are getting a bit worn out: the headband click is a bit loose on one side and the earcup slides down quite easily. 

Could anybody who has had an experience with the Aluminium edition tell me if the headband clicky has been upgraded on this model like on the new ones?

I have a chance grabbing the alu for slightly less than $200. Wondering if I should choose the latter or turn to the new HD25 models. Or I could just keep upgrading my old buddy, but that'll prove costly (the headband itself costs $80, let alone the cable that I'll have to replace sooner or later ($50), etc).

I'd go for the alu. People said it was better than the regular due to the difference between metal and plastic cups, but don't take my word for it. (If you ask me, I'd get the alu just because of the aesthetics...) 

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2,846 of 3,348

On the mention of cables, any suggestions? 

Google Search is your friend.  More reasonably-priced cables should have been discussed here and elsewhere.  I've always built my own cables, otherwise I'd probably go for something Chinese.  When it comes to the simpler things like cables, padding, and what not, Chinese online sellers often offer great stuff (or as good as the original) for less $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back