hd25-1 impressions thread
Apr 21, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,792 of 3,348
  you still can.... on thomann....

Oh yeah I know that, like I already have a pair that I got in a swap and I can't justify buying a second pair 
beyersmile.png

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #2,795 of 3,348

To be honest, when I graduate and get a grown up job, there's a fair chance if Thomann still have them, I'll be getting the Alu too 
dt880smile.png
 Just at the moment with the part time work, it's very hard to justify 
frown.gif

Do you guys think its worth having both?

Actually the alu's just sold out on thomann (both new and b stock).... let's see if they comeback again.... they are supposed to be discontinued so it would not be shocking if they did not came back again....

I know it is stupid since its minor details, but i actually like the hd25 basic edition more than the new 2016 hd25.... to me the different lettering (and now in silver) makes them not so appealling.... i like the be and the previous hd25 with the sennheiser branding on each headband or sennheiser and the made in ireland lettering in white.... i know its stupid but they look more legendary to me that way.... :D

I would get the hd25 be in a heartbeat over the 2016 hd25 if it was not only for one thing.... the improved sliding mechanism.... i never had any issues with my previous hd25 be, they never slided off or anything, but i also dont wanna take the risk of getting one of those pairs with sliding issues.....

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #2,796 of 3,348

To be honest, when I graduate and get a grown up job, there's a fair chance if Thomann still have them, I'll be getting the Alu too 
dt880smile.png
 Just at the moment with the part time work, it's very hard to justify 
frown.gif

If you can find a regular hd25 for under $100aud or less in working condition, you'll always be able to sell it back anytime for the same money or more in your local area classifieds or even ebay. What I wouldn't recommend is re-selling them on headfi because strangely headfiers aren't willing to pay a lot and even if they do sell, will take many months. The good thing about the hd25 is they can hold up to any abuse plus buyers don't care for minor scuffs unlike other headphones. Remember every part is user replaceable so there's nothing you can't salvage even from a badly beaten pair.  

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #2,797 of 3,348
My hd25-13 with the mass loading damping mod sounds pretty awesome when amped. Too bad I'm constantly out and about these days and rarely have any listening time in the comfort of my own room. Having a 3m cable with a grado 1/4 adapter plus amp isn't exactly what I'd call portable 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #2,799 of 3,348
  ^^^ HD25s do scale quite well. More then one might expect...

Agree. Although perhaps not 'high end', at least in price, my new Geek Out 720 dac/amp really makes the HD25 sing. Amazing clarity and impactful but refined sound. Maybe the best I've heard them. 

Just straight out of a phone or iPod the Sennheisers are very good but not great. 'Lesser' phones like my Sony MDR-10RC can sound better. They do not scale up to the same degree.

May 12, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #2,800 of 3,348
Excuse me, could someone please explain the difference between the current models right now on Sennheiser's website? They list the HD25, HD25 Plus and the HD 25 I II Basic Edition. I realize the HD25 Plus is just the HD25 with more accessories but what are the physical and sonic differences between the new HD25 and the famous HD 25 I II?

May 12, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #2,801 of 3,348
Excuse me, could someone please explain the difference between the current models right now on Sennheiser's website? They list the HD25, HD25 Plus and the HD 25 I II Basic Edition. I realize the HD25 Plus is just the HD25 with more accessories but what are the physical and sonic differences between the new HD25 and the famous HD 25 I II?

Hi Garraty,
               The HD25 and HD25 plus are almost identical to the last version of the HD25-1 MK II Basic eddition but as you mentioned the plus comes with more accessories. They have new moulds for most of the parts ( when compared to the HD25 ) but they look the same to the untrained eye and there seems not to be any changes to the driver other than the clicking mechanism to adjust the headband being a bit firmer. I have listened to a box fresh pair of the new HD25 and the HD25-1 MK II next to each other and to me they sound the same. HD25s to have a tenancy to "burn in" over time so the sound improves a little as the diaphragm loosens up and then the sound changes further as the pads flatten down and soften with time so if you are comparing them to an old pair that are well loved they will sound different out the box but that has always been the way - after a few weeks they settle into the classic HD25 sound.

May 12, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #2,802 of 3,348
Hi Garraty,

The HD25 and HD25 plus are almost identical to the last version of the HD25-1 MK II Basic eddition but as you mentioned the plus comes with more accessories. They have new moulds for most of the parts ( when compared to the HD25 ) but they look the same to the untrained eye and there seems not to be any changes to the driver other than the clicking mechanism to adjust the headband being a bit firmer. I have listened to a box fresh pair of the new HD25 and the HD25-1 MK II next to each other and to me they sound the same. HD25s to have a tenancy to "burn in" over time so the sound improves a little as the diaphragm loosens up and then the sound changes further as the pads flatten down and soften with time so if you are comparing them to an old pair that are well loved they will sound different out the box but that has always been the way - after a few weeks they settle into the classic HD25 sound.

Alright, thank you very much! Saving 50 bucks, haha.

May 16, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #2,803 of 3,348
the headband padding on my 3 year old HD-25s got torn a week ago.. considering I use my headphones nearly every single weekday for 3 years and they only gave way now shows how durable Sennheiser makes these headphones.

I decided to try out both the headband and ear pads from Yaxi which I have seen being mentioned briefly in these forums and I can say that they're a good choice as they're really comfy! I previously used only the velour pads and while they're definitely more comfortable compared to these Yaxi ones, they can't match the isolation and improved soundstage that comes with these leather pads. The Yaxi earpads move the drivers slightly further away from the ear and they definitely do change how they sound, but in a good way (to me).

They are definitely more stuffy than the velours and I'm in a tropical country, but in an air-conditioned office or public transport they are perfectly usable.

May 16, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #2,804 of 3,348
  the headband padding on my 3 year old HD-25s got torn a week ago.. considering I use my headphones nearly every single weekday for 3 years and they only gave way now shows how durable Sennheiser makes these headphones.

I decided to try out both the headband and ear pads from Yaxi which I have seen being mentioned briefly in these forums and I can say that they're a good choice as they're really comfy! I previously used only the velour pads and while they're definitely more comfortable compared to these Yaxi ones, they can't match the isolation and improved soundstage that comes with these leather pads. The Yaxi earpads move the drivers slightly further away from the ear and they definitely do change how they sound, but in a good way (to me).

They are definitely more stuffy than the velours and I'm in a tropical country, but in an air-conditioned office or public transport they are perfectly usable.

Wow, these pads look very well finished. Where did you get them? I have the velours now (the only pad change needed in more than 8 years of intensive use) but would love a higher quality leather pad with better isolation. 

Edit: found them on eBay. I'll probably place an order 
beyersmile.png

May 16, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #2,805 of 3,348
You can get them here: 
http://www.yaxi.jp/shop-for-oversea/

It was cheaper for me to ship from Japan (i'm in Singapore) and it only took 3 days to arrive so great job by the guys at Yaxi. Quality is really great and it builds on the sound of the headphones.. I'll recommend it as a good buy for HD-25 owners just that as I mentioned it would be stuffier and less ventilated than the velour pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back