hd25-1 impressions thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #2,777 of 3,348
  Hello everyone...
I am new here, just registered a few days ago.
I always wanted to join because of my very big curiosity regarding my beloved headphones.
Please tell me your idea about this model of SENNHEISER HD 25-1...
I could not find it's kind and make anywhere on the internet...
My best guess is it is the very first model, forefather of all HD 25-1....the oldest, vintage version.
Please enlighten me...Thank you so much.

Yes, it's the Mk1 - there were only cosmetic changes to the HD-25-1 II - so actually you got a "current" sound with them. :wink: I have the same ones.

Cheers!

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #2,778 of 3,348
  Thank you Sir for the insight...do you have an idea when was it made?

Most likely an mid production mk1 but replaced with a new headband and earppads.
I can tell from the rougher textured cups, old style sennheiser logo on the slider. 
Some of the even older versions are made in Germany. Most mk1 will have lost a lot of clamping force to the point where the cups shouldn't touch each other when resting even when never worn before.
Original mk1 earpads are thinner, less padding with More crease marks. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #2,781 of 3,348
My assessment is that, the plastic used in the HD25-1 is the same plastic used to make the plastic parts of GLOCK pistols. They are basically the same. So our SENNHEISER HD25-1 was built using one of the toughest plastic type on Earth. With regards to the clamping force losing its spring action, mine is still good, as seen on the picture.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #2,782 of 3,348
  Thank you Sir for the information. I am proud to have this. It may be one of the oldest... :wink:
Can I see some pics of your HD25-1? Thank you.

Very well, Sir!

Though I must admit I refurbished these quite a lot. 

I got them like this from a DJ:

then after some extensive cleaning (yes  A LOT) and some TLC, a new headband thingy and new ear pads 

Voilà - looks like new and since the photo was taken I added a red Oyaide replacement cable - they are beautiful ;now -) and thanks to Sennheisers amazing modular ways, I was able to get it cheap but completely beaten up and they are like new now and sound like new too. Nobody would believe they had a previous (tough) life....

Cheers!

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #2,783 of 3,348

Very well, Sir!

Though I must admit I refurbished these quite a lot. 

I got them like this from a DJ:

then after some extensive cleaning (yes  A LOT) and some TLC, a new headband thingy and new ear pads 

Voilà - looks like new and since the photo was taken I added a red Oyaide replacement cable - they are beautiful ;now -) and thanks to Sennheisers amazing modular ways, I was able to get it cheap but completely beaten up and they are like new now and sound like new too. Nobody would believe they had a previous (tough) life....

Cheers!

Hi Sir...
Thank you for sharing...very good set of HD25-1. Mine I got from a surplus shop. It looked so awful before. Very dirty, torn pads. But to my relief, there were no scratches. So I ordered headband pads and earpads and foam directly from SENNHEISER germany. Cleaned it very well. Now it looks like brand new. 
What I am doing now is testing my DIY headphones amplifier...
It took me 2 days to fully build it.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,784 of 3,348

Hi Sir...
Thank you for sharing...very good set of HD25-1. Mine I got from a surplus shop. It looked so awful before. Very dirty, torn pads. But to my relief, there were no scratches. So I ordered headband pads and earpads and foam directly from SENNHEISER germany. Cleaned it very well. Now it looks like brand new. 
What I am doing now is testing my DIY headphones amplifier...
It took me 2 days to fully build it.

Wow, very nice, building a DIY amp must be a nice sense of accomplishment. I cannot solder to save my life. Haha. Very nice HD-25's don't they just sound amazing?

Cheers!

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #2,785 of 3,348

Wow, very nice, building a DIY amp must be a nice sense of accomplishment. I cannot solder to save my life. Haha. Very nice HD-25's don't they just sound amazing?

Cheers!

Thank you for the compliment Sir...
HD25-1 is the best for me Sir...I am now a professional headphones/earphones repair technician. And I have repaired/modded quite many already. All I can say is, still nothing beats SENNHEISER HD25-1...

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,786 of 3,348
Hi guys,

I had both the HD 25 II and the HD 25 SP II, and I decided I like the SP II more. It sounded more "musical" to my ears, and far less fatiguing. I just couldn't bear the high SPL of the bigger bro after like 30 minutes, even with the velour pads, and they sounded more analytical and less fun.
After that I sold the SP II as well, but I was missing it, so now I have one with velour pads (haven't got that on the SP II previously), which is my best setup so far, more balanced and spacious, yet still a closed can with more than enough kick. I recently realized maybe I liked the SP II more because its copper cable?

Also I just discovered the CustomCans damping mod. What do you think, does it make good to the SP II as well or takes away too much bass? Or the best would be to get a HD 25 II, CustomCans damp mod it, and replace the steel cable to copper and the pads to velour?

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #2,787 of 3,348
Only one way to find out. 
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,788 of 3,348
If u guys were to buy a new hd25 right now.... wich one would you buy? The last year edition (hd25-1 ii basic edition) or the 2016 model?

Just trying to figure out if the new markings look worse to anyone.... i personally prefered the older white markings and the sennheiser brand on each headband (model on the cup)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back