hd25-1 impressions thread
Oct 18, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #2,626 of 3,348
Two questions about these fantasic headphones, if I may:

1.  My set are old and say HD 25-1 on the cup plate.  What's the difference between these and the HD 25-1-II?  Specifically, I'm considering replacing the 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaptor.  My 3.5mm jack is right-angled and does not have a thread.  I note that this link shows the HD 25 adaptor as being threaded so I'm wondering if Sennheiser changed the 3.5mm adaptor end of the cable when they introduced the Mk-II?  http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/sennheiser-hd-26-spare-parts/sennheiser-hd25-threaded-jack-adaptor-543684.html

2.  I also need to replace the ear pads and the headband padding.  I am going to buy the Aluminium version http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/dj-headphones/hd-25-aluminium/ear-pads-hd25-aluminium.html of the ear pad replacements as I've read on here that they are a bit more comfortable and higher quality; I don't mind paying a bit extra for that.  But the Aluminium version headband padding http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/dj-headphones/hd-25-aluminium/headband-padding-hd25-aluminium.html is waaaay more expensive that the normal pleather (especially as, unlike the ear pads, they don't seem to come as a pair).  Two of those would cost the same as a pair of the ear pads.  Can anyone comment on whether they feel "worth it"?

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #2,627 of 3,348
Two questions about these fantasic headphones, if I may:

1.  My set are old and say HD 25-1 on the cup plate.  What's the difference between these and the HD 25-1-II?  Specifically, I'm considering replacing the 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaptor.  My 3.5mm jack is right-angled and does not have a thread.  I note that this link shows the HD 25 adaptor as being threaded so I'm wondering if Sennheiser changed the 3.5mm adaptor end of the cable when they introduced the Mk-II?  http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/sennheiser-hd-26-spare-parts/sennheiser-hd25-threaded-jack-adaptor-543684.html

I checked earlier in this thread with the sennheiser rep. There is no difference in the sound between 25-1 and 25-1 II. Just cosmetics.

Cheers,
K

2.  I also need to replace the ear pads and the headband padding.  I am going to buy the Aluminium version http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/dj-headphones/hd-25-aluminium/ear-pads-hd25-aluminium.html of the ear pad replacements as I've read on here that they are a bit more comfortable and higher quality; I don't mind paying a bit extra for that.  But the Aluminium version headband padding http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/dj-headphones/hd-25-aluminium/headband-padding-hd25-aluminium.html is waaaay more expensive that the normal pleather (especially as, unlike the ear pads, they don't seem to come as a pair).  Two of those would cost the same as a pair of the ear pads.  Can anyone comment on whether they feel "worth it"?

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #2,629 of 3,348
Forget the stock earpads. The new. Yaxi afterrmarket earpads are superior in any way. Also they make genuine leather head pads if memory serves me right. The extra shipping cost is well worth it from Japan.

Peace
Peter

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #2,630 of 3,348
The HD-25 Aluminium earpads are £23.83 and are extremely comfortable. A huge step up from the normal HD-25's earpads.

Those Yaxi earpads are quite a bit more expensive and from the looks of it, I don't believe they don't colour the sound. So, no, they're not "superior in any way."

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2,632 of 3,348
Aluminium pads are widely available though and give a very good impression of soft leather even ageing like the real stuff. Very nice and don't change the sound of our (at leadt mine overall!) favourite phones.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,633 of 3,348
where can i buy hd25 at the best price and quality? anyone selling? ive listened to one yesterday and realised how good the bass sounds. i had amperiors before they didnt have enough bass though. i dont like on ears generally but scince hd25 are plastic they probably weigh less as well.

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #2,634 of 3,348
where can i buy hd25 at the best price and quality? anyone selling? ive listened to one yesterday and realised how good the bass sounds. i had amperiors before they didnt have enough bass though. i dont like on ears generally but scince hd25 are plastic they probably weigh less as well.

£115 seems to be going rate for the Basics in the UK from Amazon. Juno etc. Similar Euro equivalent in Europe. Easlily worth every penny of that in sound alone nevermind their unbeatable longevity.Just ger a pair! You'll never regret it.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #2,635 of 3,348
£115 seems to be going rate for the Basics in the UK from Amazon. Juno etc. Similar Euro equivalent in Europe. Easlily worth every penny of that in sound alone nevermind their unbeatable longevity.Just ger a pair! You'll never regret it.

should i get from amazon uk for 160 euro or from amazon germany for 150 euro? i know i will get it but may be if there is a problemt it might be easier to sort a problem if there is any if from uk, i dont apeak german that well.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #2,636 of 3,348
i guys, has anyone tried this cable? http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Replacement-Sennheiser-HD25-1-headphones/dp/B00KS0K4MG/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1445823962&sr=8-16&keywords=sennheiser+hd+25
if so, how's the quality build and sound wise? same goes for these replacement pads http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-Headband-Cushions-For-Sennheiser-HD25-HD25SP-PC150-PC151-PC155-/391220260513?hash=item5b168b6ea1:g:giEAAOSwu4BVxX7E thanks.

Oct 27, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #2,637 of 3,348
Well, it’s been 14 months now since I first purchased the Senn HD25-1, and I just have nothing but love for these headphones…

These’re the only headphones that I definitely use every day…at the office & on my commute.

They’re virtually indestructible. I toss em in my backpack everyday without fear or worry.

They sound damn good stock…with the hd650 cable upgrade, even better.

With the velour pads, they start to approach something like comfort. They clamp pretty snug, but I’ll take the tradeoff for the isolation.

IMO, the hd25-1 is the undisputed champ in the portable/sealed/sound quality/light/rugged category. I keep trying to find something better sounding with the go-anywhere attitude of the hd25-1…but it’s still not out there, not that I’ve found anyway…

Peace,

Graz
I wonder how they compare with the Momentum II?

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #2,638 of 3,348
I wonder how they compare with the Momentum II?

I was pretty surprised when I got an email notification of your post.  There was a time when I was on here daily, but I haven't hung around head-fi in quite some time.

Hard to believe, but I started this thread approx. 9 years, 8 months ago!!  I'm floored that it's still going after all this time!

And something perhaps even more amazing...I still have & still use the exact same pair of HD-25's that I had when I started this thread.  They've been through 3 sets of ear pads and 4 different cables, but still sound great.  How's that for longevity, lol?

Peace,

Graz

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #2,639 of 3,348
I was pretty surprised when I got an email notification of your post.  There was a time when I was on here daily, but I haven't hung around head-fi in quite some time.

Hard to believe, but I started this thread approx. 9 years, 8 months ago!!  I'm floored that it's still going after all this time!

And something perhaps even more amazing...I still have & still use the exact same pair of HD-25's that I had when I started this thread.  They've been through 3 sets of ear pads and 4 different cables, but still sound great.  How's that for longevity, lol?

Peace,

Graz
Great , that is one of the reasons I did become a Sennheiser "fan":blush:

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #2,640 of 3,348

What's even more amazing is that these were introduced in 1988 - 27 years ago, have remained exactly the same apart from some very slight cosmetic changes, and they're still considered to be one of the best headphones at their price point. Now that's longevity.

Long live the HD25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back