hd25-1 impressions thread
Aug 24, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #2,596 of 3,348
And this only your second post!

I do however think you'll get more
response next time if you went to say the Grado Appreciation Thread and said something like 'Grados are only suitable for rock music EDIT and leak a lot"

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #2,597 of 3,348
The HD25-1's are really meant for DJ'ing. I wouldn't suggest they are a great choice for casual listening.

They are very bright by which I mean the top end above about 8kHz is quite accentuated.

They are excellent at attenuating outside noise noise when desired but sometimes can leave you so disconnected from the outside world that it's dangerous.

Actually they're not DJ headphones at all. They were originally conceived as a professional on location monitoring solution - News, reporting, event coverage etc. It just so happened that the qualities needed for that role fitted exceptionally well with the requirements of DJing, hence they also became a mainstay in the DJs kit bag.

As for the isolation being dangerous, then I can see where you're coming from, but the level of isolation they offer is not really that much more than a lot of other closed headphones offer, including a lot of in-ears. So you would need to accuse a lot of other headphones of being "dangerous" as well

Personally I don't find them overly bright, at least not in comparison with my AKG Q701s and Beyer DT880s.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #2,598 of 3,348
Actually they're not DJ headphones at all. They were originally conceived as a professional on location monitoring solution - News, reporting, event coverage etc. It just so happened that the qualities needed for that role fitted exceptionally well with the requirements of DJing, hence they also became a mainstay in the DJs kit bag.

As for the isolation being dangerous, then I can see where you're coming from, but the level of isolation they offer is not really that much more than a lot of other closed headphones offer, including a lot of in-ears. So you would need to accuse a lot of other headphones of being "dangerous" as well

Personally I don't find them overly bright, at least not in comparison with my AKG Q701s and Beyer DT880s.

You're right about them being designed for location recording. The HMD-25 with attached dynamic microphone was also concieved for remote sports broadcasting and became a mainstay in this field. The HD25s offer excellent attenuation of ambient noise which can be excessivlely loud in a large sporting arena. Unfortunately this variation has been discontinued.

I am not trying to start a fight. I have a great deal of experience with them and believe they are an excellent professional headphone. But casual hi-fi listening is not what they were meant for. I'm not going to say anything about Grados. I have no experience with them and therefore don't have an opinion on them.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #2,599 of 3,348
Well I still think your's is a minority opinion. They have been a audiophile staple for more than quarter of a century fulfilling the role of a great sounding portable phone years before the current crop of headphones which they can still compete with.
They are great for serious or casual musical listening. In my opinion and many others.

There are a few professional phones like the DT100 that I agree might not be best for music but HD25 by luck or design is not one of them.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #2,600 of 3,348
These 'phones are just perfect for both casual (and) hi-fi listening. They are especially suitable with Metal records, I can attest to that. True, I won't listen to classical with my HD-25, but other than that they are just perfect for casual listening. Actually, I'd give a pair to each "Beats by Dre" owner to see how much more they can get for the same money they've spent on their trendy headphones.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #2,601 of 3,348
I can't disagree with your comments about "Beats by Dr Dre". The HD-25s would probably be good for metal, but then not really a genre I have much knowledge of.

I use nothing but the HD-25s for location monitoring (we occasionally are involved in outside broadcasting and the like).

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #2,602 of 3,348
These 'phones are just perfect for both casual (and) hi-fi listening. They are especially suitable with Metal records, I can attest to that. True, I won't listen to classical with my HD-25, but other than that they are just perfect for casual listening. Actually, I'd give a pair to each "Beats by Dre" owner to see how much more they can get for the same money they've spent on their trendy headphones.

Well I do listen to classical on mine. My amp widens the soundstage a little certainly well beyond confines of my head Not the best by any means but great for small closed phones. It's no DT150!!

Instrument placement and sense of scale pretty good, nice tonal balance and timbre. One of the last words that will spring to mind listening to a HD25 is the word BRIGHT

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #2,604 of 3,348
To be honest I love the HD25s for what I use them for. At one point they were so important to me that I bought second pair just in case which are still sitting in the box but I don't really do as much of that kind of work as I used to. To me the HD25s do highlight sibillance more than I prefer. This is a subjective preference. Surely I can offer my impartial and unbiased impressions without everyone getting riled up with their backs up against me. It's just that if I were going to grab a pair of headphones to go out and listen to music on my iPod or phone, they would probably not be the first of the many pairs of headphones I own that I would reach for. If you guys have a differing tastes well then I don't have a problem with that.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #2,605 of 3,348
To be honest I love the HD25s for what I use them for. At one point they were so important to me that I bought second pair just in case which are still sitting in the box but I don't really do as much of that kind of work as I used to. To me the HD25s do highlight sibillance more than I prefer. This is a subjective preference. Surely I can offer my impartial and unbiased impressions without everyone getting riled up with their backs up against me. It's just that if I were going to grab a pair of headphones to go out and listen to music on my iPod or phone, they would probably not be the first of the many pairs of headphones I own that I would reach for. If you guys have a differing tastes well then I don't have a problem with that.

The thing is you've actively sought out this thread which is mainly vacated EDIT ! frequented by people who appreciate this phone. You've made a comment mentioning bright Dj without any supporting information about your own experience of the headphones. On that evidence you initially looked a bit of a 'troll' basing your opinion on some graph and making assumptions based on the current commercial Sennheiser trendy branding of these as Dj headphones. What did you expect?

You actually do use the headphones (professionally as well?!?) and I'm sure know what your talking about,

I'm sorry but ou just didn't do yourself any favours and sold yourself short with that initial post IMO

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #2,606 of 3,348
  I've been planning to make this post for a while so finally, as this thread got resurrected, I would like to say that this headphone was my best investment for portable purposes (i.e. gym, commuting, etc.) A couple of days ago I could finally test it on a long distance flight and with the mods I've applied the isolation got EVEN better while the issue of comfort has been EXTENSIVELY increased.

But right now I'm just immensely happy with my HD-25 I-II, modded. Here's a couple of images:

Yeah, the guess on the cable was right, it's a black Oyaide 1.2 M. As for the earpads, it's a Yaxi typeB for HD25. As far as I know they are only available in Japan. I have ordered through my japanese friend, she'd send it over to the US. It'd cost like 50$ incl. expedited shipping.

http://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/for-hd25-typeb/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWqVStHCEHo

So for me, that 45-50$ well worth for these earpads. I've asked my friend to contact the producer if they will make black-blue version of it. If so, I will get ahold of an Adidas version HD25! :p

Wow!! I need to get my hands on these. Thanks for the post.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #2,608 of 3,348
Hey guys, got my aluminium version and couldn't be happier. I own m50x, hd600 and dt990pro and planning to sell m50x coz I personal more prefer hd25 Alu more than m50x, the bass from m50x is not as tight and punchy as hd25. M50x more balance and hd25 more toward aggressive. I wish to change cable of hd25 to shorter, the original is too long which is annoy when I take it out with me. Anyone have any idea where I can get shorter cable and with a good quality sound? Thanks :)

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #2,609 of 3,348
Hey guys, got my aluminium version and couldn't be happier. I own m50x, hd600 and dt990pro and planning to sell m50x coz I personal more prefer hd25 Alu more than m50x, the bass from m50x is not as tight and punchy as hd25. M50x more balance and hd25 more toward aggressive. I wish to change cable of hd25 to shorter, the original is too long which is annoy when I take it out with me. Anyone have any idea where I can get shorter cable and with a good quality sound? Thanks :)

Take your time to read my previous posts where I just talked about that :wink:

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #2,610 of 3,348
Anyone here has any experience with the translucent Zomo cable? I'm in need of a new cable and for 25 euro it might be worth a try. Or should I just get the Oyaide instead?

http://www.zomo.de/en/Products/Accessories/Cable-Adapter/Cable-for-Sennheiser-Headphone-HD-25-translucent-3m.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back