hd25-1 impressions thread
May 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #2,341 of 3,348
Thanks, it is a great portable amp. Ugly but built to last (bit like the HD25s themselves maybe ?) & made a few miles from where I live in the UK by Graham Slee. I've had it for years & only need to change the battery every 3 months or so.

On the subject of pads I'm also interested in trying the new HD25 Aluminium pads. I hope they might give the sound quality of the pleather pads but with improved comfort. Has anyone tried them on the standard HD25-1 yet ?

They're a bit expensive to try on a whim. 

May 2, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2,342 of 3,348
Just replaced my stock cable with a DIY OFC cable. Initial impressions, there's a bit of difference in the bass and treble region, with the bass a bit tighter and the treble a bit better defined. Will check it out further to confirm.

May 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,343 of 3,348
Okay I ended up getting the HD25 Aluminium pads. Cost £22 and maybe worth it, giving the same impact as the standard leatherette pads but with added comfort. Nice, softer more leather like feel, less 'sticky'  feeling but still not quite as comfortable as the velours. Maybe they'll wear in.
Not a revelation in terms of improved sound, the HD25s have always sounded near perfect to me anyway. 
At least I've got a choice of pads which should last me a few years. The HD25's themselves should last me my lifetime.
All-round, as a combination of durability, sound quality, isolation, functionality and portability these are perhaps the best headphones in the world.

May 11, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #2,345 of 3,348
Got the Sennheiser HD 25's a week ago. Best headphones I have used so far.

But there is a problem with the cable, When I expand the headband and close it again, The cable will always come out of place, And when I close it again it will snag on it. Seems to have damaged the cable already. And every time I want to expand it I have to make sure it won't snag again.,

This pissed me off already because I paid $300 with the tax.

I don't see this cable as durable, Not at all. Mine was very easily damaged.

I emailed Sennheiser and told them my complaint, Emailed me back 2 days later and said they would send me another cable.

These headphones are well worth the money, But I want to split the headband without it getting snagged :frowning2:

May 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,346 of 3,348
Photos?  Maybe a reposition of the cable is all that's needed.

May 13, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #2,347 of 3,348
  Photos?  Maybe a reposition of the cable is all that's needed.

I repositioned the cable a few times but it slips our every now and then. Other people sometimes have the same problem.

I don't really expand it anyways unless I am wearing a hat. I will just make sure it goes back in the right spot next time so it won't pinch the cable.

Great tech support from Sennheiser for sending a new cable!

May 13, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #2,348 of 3,348
I think I just fixed the problem. Seems the cable was routed on the wrong side, Which was pulling on the cable, I routed it on the other side of the headband and it doesn't pull anymore.

Should have been a QA thing but I don't think it will ever pop out again unless I pull on it.

"I routed it on the front headband slot" for others that are having the same problem.

May 18, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #2,350 of 3,348
Hello to you. 

Almost 8 months since I have the hd 25-1 ii and I think that is the time to purchase an cable. Already talked with Toxic Cables and he has no option for my budget which is 70 euros, no more; forza audios have something interesting, oyaide cables look nice too. 
My question is not ONLY about the quality of the sound or any improvement, I want a good copper cable, period. Anyone have better or any other option around? I'm in Italy so any help would be more then appreciated.

Thank you.

May 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,353 of 3,348

Sure, I was amping mine with JDS C421. 

can you describe the sound of the hd25 with the c421? thanks! I am using the PA2V2 now. While I love that it speeds up the hd25 and provides a tighter bass, I still find the mids a bit lacking even though I love the HD25 sound.

May 25, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #2,354 of 3,348
  can you describe the sound of the hd25 with the c421? thanks! I am using the PA2V2 now. While I love that it speeds up the hd25 and provides a tighter bass, I still find the mids a bit lacking even though I love the HD25 sound.

Sadly I sold my HD25, ever since I changed the pads I couldn't shake a slight channel imbalance so they went on eBay rather than persist correcting the issue.  Amping definitely brought them to live offering a stiffer backbone, refinement and detail retrieval improved, like you said it brought the dynamics and bass impact upfront. I cannot recall if the mid-range changed position, it was too short a time and too long ago. The best they sounded to me was from Hisound Studio V (2nd Edition). Was a nice pairing.

I might pick them up again one day. 

May 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #2,355 of 3,348
  Do you guys amp your HD25s?

My HD25 has a balanced cable, and I listen to them through my CLAS db/Rx Mk3 combo, and my HiFi-M8.  A little more power goes a long way.  And I know many would scoff, but replacing the stock "crap" steel cable with copper or silver plated copper really helped control and tighten the bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back