hd25-1 impressions thread
Mar 24, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #2,326 of 3,348
  But that will make it look less cool. Haha... Anyway, flipping the cups will not change the sound right? Juno records not responding to my inquiry too. Make me hesitated to buy from them. Three sent, one replied.

How long is the cable? 1.5m?

1.2m. Some people don't like oyaide cables though, just a heads up!

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #2,327 of 3,348
It looks like the HD25 have had a mini update. We have just had a new batch of HD25-1 mkII in and they have slightly different earcups. Not really noticable from the outside other than slightly more sheen to them. Inside you can see the are subtly different where the driver clips into the cup using similar clips to the ALU HD25 they also have not changed over from the silver phillips screws to hold in the cable clamp to the black T6 screws used on the ALU so they are not as easily user serviceable as before. I doubt the new cups will effect the sound much but just a little insider knowledge for the HD25 nerds. Here is the new cup on the left and the older one on the right

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #2,328 of 3,348
Hey guys I have both the silver and blue amperior. The silver one is all stock but the blue one has an oyaide cable. The oyaide cable is definitely an improvement.

But my real question is pads. I want to make the amperior's sound better so I thought I'd try the hd25 aluminum pads, I can't find the aluminum's pads anywhere. Does the regular hd25's pads seal just as well as the new aluminum's pads? If so I think that's the route I'll take

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,329 of 3,348
Hey guys I have both the silver and blue amperior. The silver one is all stock but the blue one has an oyaide cable. The oyaide cable is definitely an improvement.

But my real question is pads. I want to make the amperior's sound better so I thought I'd try the hd25 aluminum pads, I can't find the aluminum's pads anywhere. Does the regular hd25's pads seal just as well as the new aluminum's pads? If so I think that's the route I'll take

It appears to me HD25 aluminum edition is so new that pads aren't yet available separately. Unless someone else knows anything your best bet is to contact Sennhieser in your country and ask them. (do this by phone much quicker than email). I'd be willing to bet they're asking an arm and a leg for them though.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #2,332 of 3,348

It appears to me HD25 aluminum edition is so new that pads aren't yet available separately. Unless someone else knows anything your best bet is to contact Sennhieser in your country and ask them. (do this by phone much quicker than email). I'd be willing to bet they're asking an arm and a leg for them though.

They are available in the UK - I have already had a few sets but they are twice as  expensive as the standard pads at around £21 GBP - they are nice pads though
If you are on the lookout they are part number 556906 I believe

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,333 of 3,348
They are available in the UK - I have already had a few sets but they are twice as  expensive as the standard pads at around £21 GBP - they are nice pads though
If you are on the lookout they are part number [COLOR=333333]556906 I believe[/COLOR]
This is a very helpful thread! I think if I put those pads on the amperior it will sound identical to the the 25th anniversary

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #2,334 of 3,348
This is a very helpful thread! I think if I put those pads on the amperior it will sound identical to the the 25th anniversary

I guess they will be similar but not identical. The Amperiors have 18 Ohm drivers, the HD25 Alu have 70 Ohm drivers like the HD-25-1 II. So there should still be a slight difference in some areas.

I have put the Amperiors pads on my HD25-1 (not II) and a set of new HD25-1 II pleather pads on the Amperiors. With the pleather they seal better (important for me in the office) and I like the sound. I think I prefer the Amperiors with the pleather pads ever so slightly to the original velours pads.

Cheers,
K

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #2,335 of 3,348
I guess they will be similar but not identical. The Amperiors have 18 Ohm drivers, the HD25 Alu have 70 Ohm drivers like the HD-25-1 II. So there should still be a slight difference in some areas.

I have put the Amperiors pads on my HD25-1 (not II) and a set of new HD25-1 II pleather pads on the Amperiors. With the pleather they seal better (important for me in the office) and I like the sound. I think I prefer the Amperiors with the pleather pads ever so slightly to the original velours pads.

Cheers,
K
I think I might just get the hd25 pleather pads, I doubt the new ones seal any better it's probably just more comfortable

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #2,336 of 3,348
Well at the weekend I dropped my beloved HD25s. No problem I thought, these are built like a brick outhouse. Anyway shortly after I started hearing what sounded like a rattle in the right driver module. At first I put it down to something on the recording because it would not always be there, but then I noticed it occasionally appearing on other tracks. Ok, I thought, definitely a problem with the headphones.

So to confirm this I loaded up a virtual synth on my iPad (Korg Gadget if you're interested - amazing app if somewhat expensive) selected a bass synth and found the the phones rattled specifically on one bass note (A2 at 110 Hz). Hmmm, not good I thought.

Faced with the fact that I was going to have to buy a new driver module, I figured there would be nothing to lose by stripping the right driver down. So that's what I did - stripped down the right driver module, cleaned it out, and put it back together ensuring everything snapped together firmly. The result - woo hoo - rattle gone, and it really was a simple job - disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled in less than 5 mins.

Thumbs up for Sennheiser for making these phones so easy to repair - trying to do that with just about any other headphones on the market will probably result in tears.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #2,337 of 3,348
Well at the weekend I dropped my beloved HD25s. No problem I thought, these are built like a brick outhouse. Anyway shortly after I started hearing what sounded like a rattle in the right driver module. At first I put it down to something on the recording because it would not always be there, but then I noticed it occasionally appearing on other tracks. Ok, I thought, definitely a problem with the headphones.

So to confirm this I loaded up a virtual synth on my iPad (Korg Gadget if you're interested - amazing app if somewhat expensive) selected a bass synth and found the the phones rattled specifically on one bass note (A2 at 110 Hz). Hmmm, not good I thought.

Faced with the fact that I was going to have to buy a new driver module, I figured there would be nothing to lose by stripping the right driver down. So that's what I did - stripped down the right driver module, cleaned it out, and put it back together ensuring everything snapped together firmly. The result - woo hoo - rattle gone, and it really was a simple job - disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled in less than 5 mins.

Thumbs up for Sennheiser for making these phones so easy to repair - trying to do that with just about any other headphones on the market will probably result in tears.
That's awesome man! I'd cry if I dropped my amperior's, I'd hate to scratch them. My girlfriend thinks they're butt ugly but I think they look cool and I can head bang with them!

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #2,338 of 3,348
That's awesome man! I'd cry if I dropped my amperior's, I'd hate to scratch them. My girlfriend thinks they're butt ugly but I think they look cool and I can head bang with them!

May 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #2,339 of 3,348
Hi I'm new here but have been a 'lurker' (I think that's the correct term) for several years and this is my first post.
Anyway the HD25s are my favorite cans. I know people say they don't have a very wide soundstage but with my GS Voyager amp they are really quite impressive for small closed phones. Certainly better than the Grados I used to have. 
The Voyager and HD25 were made for each over giving a wonderfully warm,detailed and impactful sound.
Sorry if my terminology isn't great but I know what I like and this combo is near perfect.

May 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,340 of 3,348
Hi I'm new here but have been a 'lurker' (I think that's the correct term) for several years and this is my first post.
Anyway the HD25s are my favorite cans. I know people say they don't have a very wide soundstage but with my GS Voyager amp they are really quite impressive for small closed phones. Certainly better than the Grados I used to have. 
The Voyager and HD25 were made for each over giving a wonderfully warm,detailed and impactful sound.
Sorry if my terminology isn't great but I know what I like and this combo is near perfect.

Hey thanks for your review and making them jump from lurking to contributing :)

Never heard of the voyager before but now researched the brand a bit and am tempted to try that amp one day.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back