hd25-1 impressions thread
Mar 9, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #2,746 of 3,348
Thank you all. I never thought about that, because honestly it never happened before. I just went back and saw that the Custom One's were only 16 ohms, so that might account for their good performance. I guess that high impedance headphones are just out of touch when it comes to mobile phones :frowning2:

Then I suppose that in order to have a decent audio experience with my mobiles i need to limit myself to low impedance drivers,is that correct?
Anyway, I've decided to save some more money and buy a dedicated player before I test anything else. Again, thank you for your replies and please excuse my ignorance, it was not meant as an insult :) I just didn't know better! Cheers! :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #2,747 of 3,348
Thank you all. I never thought about that, because honestly it never happened before. I just went back and saw that the Custom One's were only 16 ohms, so that might account for their good performance. I guess that high impedance headphones are just out of touch when it comes to mobile phones
frown.gif

Then I suppose that in order to have a decent audio experience with my mobiles i need to limit myself to low impedance drivers,is that correct?
Anyway, I've decided to save some more money and buy a dedicated player before I test anything else. Again, thank you for your replies and please excuse my ignorance, it was not meant as an insult
smily_headphones1.gif
I just didn't know better! Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

You should also take into account sensitivity. Believe it or not, a humble ipod nano will be enough to run most portable headphones including the hd25 70ohm to a good listening level without distortion. Any louder and you'll be annoying people next to you whist gradually destroying your hearing.   

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #2,748 of 3,348
  You should also take into account sensitivity. Believe it or not, a humble ipod nano will be enough to run most portable headphones including the hd25 70ohm to a good listening level without distortion. Any louder and you'll be annoying people next to you whist gradually destroying your hearing.   

That's a little bit more tricky. I only have basic knowledge of these aspects and although I knew the impedance of the Senn's I was expecting my phones to be underpowered in the sense of not being able to drive the drivers to reasonable levels (the max of the phone to be about halfway of what the set is capable of) but not in the way you guys have told me. 

I've read until I was overflowing about frequency response, impedance of the headphones, output impedance of the source, sensitivity, max power input and so on, but I'm still far from having a solid knowledge of these concepts. 

Regarding the volume level... It was only at max volume that the bass started to become "flabby" and sound like (pardon my comparison) rumbling farts, similar to an overdriven speaker. At even 90%, everything was still pretty much perfect, and this applies to all the headphones I tested, but I got used to extremely high levels of sound.

Even the store clerk told me that I might go deaf if I continue like this, but honestly, if it's not ear splittingly loud (and I mean it) I can't enjoy the music properly, especially the one I like (for example, in hardstyle/hardcore distorted kicks/bases feel more violent when the volume is raised). Another thing... I have at home 2 onkyo speakers, 300w rms each, powered by a technics amp. When I feel in the mood, I turn up the music so loud that the windows rattle and the furniture in my room (5x6 m) vibrates....and that is the "comfortable" setting for me.

So... I might have a problem, that's why even with headphones, I'm looking to push them as far as I can. However, in the case of high volume on headphones, I don't always wear them on my head, I keep them around my neck and use them as speakers and the volume must be loud enough to tower at least a bit over traffic... I know that in this regard I might be a bit of an oddball, but this is how I like it to be.
I would upload a video on youtube to show a comparison of how normal/max volume sounds like on all my sources, but that might not be as revelatory as a hands-on listening experience. I am sure that most people would find the volume level that I'm used to unbearable...well, perhaps dj's might understand, but I need loudness (and, at the same time, clear sound). It's very weird :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #2,749 of 3,348
Me again... Should I want to keep my phones as sources and use the HD 25 (the Amperiors are almost 100 euro more expensive) would a small amp like the Fiio E6 make a difference? I don't really see myself buying the Amperiors  (I don't think they're worth the price). 

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #2,750 of 3,348

Even the store clerk told me that I might go deaf if I continue like this, but honestly, if it's not ear splittingly loud (and I mean it) I can't enjoy the music properly, especially the one I like (for example, in hardstyle/hardcore distorted kicks/bases feel more violent when the volume is raised). Another thing... I have at home 2 onkyo speakers, 300w rms each, powered by a technics amp. When I feel in the mood, I turn up the music so loud that the windows rattle and the furniture in my room (5x6 m) vibrates....and that is the "comfortable" setting for me.

I don't always wear them on my head, I keep them around my neck and use them as speakers and the volume must be loud enough to tower at least a bit over traffic

I'd recommend you look into open headphones if you plan on using them as speakers around your neck.
Given that you listen to your music sound so loud does limit your choice of headphones.
In general, closed headphones offers more bass with better isolation and less leakage, closed with less bass, no isolation and sound leakage.
Also since the majority of open headphones are on the bright side with treble peaks, I don't think you'll able to tolerate the treble at the volumes you're listening to.  

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #2,751 of 3,348
  Me again... Should I want to keep my phones as sources and use the HD 25 (the Amperiors are almost 100 euro more expensive) would a small amp like the Fiio E6 make a difference? I don't really see myself buying the Amperiors  (I don't think they're worth the price). 

The Fiio E11 will increase volume without clipping as long as don't turn the volume dial beyond 90%. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #2,752 of 3,348

I amplify my HD25s often, and yes an amp can greatly improve sound.  But I don't have experience with the E6...

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #2,753 of 3,348

I amplify my HD25s often, and yes an amp can greatly improve sound.  But I don't have experience with the E6...

Neither do I, I mean I haven't even used an amp for headphones as I didn't have to until now, but it might be some unseen force that draws me towards the HD 25's that makes me persist. I found a slightly used E6 with only 16 Pounds, but the amp that Fungus recommended (the E11) is around or over 46 Pounds, which seems at the moment too steep for me. On the other hand, buying the cheaper amp might yield momentary financial satisfaction, but the end result might not be the one desired. 

With the HD 25 + E6 I'd have a total of around 200 euro, but with the E7 I'd cross into a territory shared with the Pioneer HDJ 2000 mk1 and they're 36 ohms, so I wouldn't need the amp anymore; but Pioneers might break at the joints (horror story) and then I'd be left with an expensive paper weight... :frowning2:

Having a tight budget is most unpleasant. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,754 of 3,348

Neither do I, I mean I haven't even used an amp for headphones as I didn't have to until now, but it might be some unseen force that draws me towards the HD 25's that makes me persist. I found a slightly used E6 with only 16 Pounds, but the amp that Fungus recommended (the E11) is around or over 46 Pounds, which seems at the moment too steep for me. On the other hand, buying the cheaper amp might yield momentary financial satisfaction, but the end result might not be the one desired. 

With the HD 25 + E6 I'd have a total of around 200 euro, but with the E7 I'd cross into a territory shared with the Pioneer HDJ 2000 mk1 and they're 36 ohms, so I wouldn't need the amp anymore; but Pioneers might break at the joints (horror story) and then I'd be left with an expensive paper weight... :frowning2:

Having a tight budget is most unpleasant. 

You don't have to buy the HD25s and an amp at the same time.  These headphones are most likely 90% of their greatness, just out of a smartphone.  Amps, DACs and cable upgrades are just chasing the last 10%...

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,755 of 3,348

How did the custom one pro compared against the hd25s? Were they good..? I am about to make a crazy deal.... :D
A guy just offered me a pair of custom one pro plus + 100 euros for my ath m50x. Not that o dont like my audio technicas but i think its a good deal and with the extra 100 euros i can easilly rebuy thr m50x since they very often drop to 130 euros on european amazons.

I am asking about the custom one pros because i never had the and i have the option of keeping them or i have a friend that ita willing to trade his hd25s for the cops i am getting.... :p

Confusing? :D

Tell me what you guys think of this chain of deals. I think ita worth it but i may be wrong....

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,756 of 3,348
How did the custom one pro compared against the hd25s? Were they good..? I am about to make a crazy deal....
biggrin.gif

A guy just offered me a pair of custom one pro plus + 100 euros for my ath m50x. Not that o dont like my audio technicas but i think its a good deal and with the extra 100 euros i can easilly rebuy thr m50x since they very often drop to 130 euros on european amazons.

I am asking about the custom one pros because i never had the and i have the option of keeping them or i have a friend that ita willing to trade his hd25s for the cops i am getting....
tongue.gif

Confusing?
biggrin.gif

Tell me what you guys think of this chain of deals. I think ita worth it but i may be wrong....

Well, I'm not an expert, but these are my impressions.

The HD 25's offer, at least in my opinion, better isolation but they have a smaller stereo image, similar to having a club in your head. The Beyers are obviously much larger in size and perhaps due to a) the size of the drivers and b) the fact that they're over ear they convey a sense of "broadness" to the sound. They also have an adjustable bass response via a multi stage slider (which is really cool, because it makes them somehow semi-open) so you can easily leave the eq of your source flat and just play with the slider. The bass, as I perceived it, is much looser than that of the Sennheiser pair. It feels more like a wall of air than a punch, but that's probably again due to the sheer size of the earcups and drivers within. The HD 25's have a much more concentrated sound.

If the Custom One's would not have been so huge in size, I would have bought them instantly, but I have a small head and I hate over ear headphones, so I would have looked ridiculous and hated the whole experience while loving the sound - wonderful, right? :)))

Perhaps others could describe their experience better, but this is what I've felt when I tried them on.

Regarding your deal, I don't know what to say... I didn't like the original M50's due to the size of the earcups :frowning2: so I can't provide you with any useful advice, but in terms of sound I believe that the Custom One's have a more pronounced bass signature than the M50's so if that's what you're after I'd say it's a good match. Of course, I judge this only through playing electronic music and I can't say anything about other genres. Also, I tend to avoid tracks with vocals/lyrics, because I don't like them and I prefer a more instrument based auditory experience. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,757 of 3,348
There are also the smaller (on ear) Custom Streets to consider. Good luck with finding much info regarding thosee though.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #2,758 of 3,348
Well, I'm not an expert, but these are my impressions.

The HD 25's offer, at least in my opinion, better isolation but they have a smaller stereo image, similar to having a club in your head. The Beyers are obviously much larger in size and perhaps due to a) the size of the drivers and b) the fact that they're over ear they convey a sense of "broadness" to the sound. They also have an adjustable bass response via a multi stage slider (which is really cool, because it makes them somehow semi-open) so you can easily leave the eq of your source flat and just play with the slider. The bass, as I perceived it, is much looser than that of the Sennheiser pair. It feels more like a wall of air than a punch, but that's probably again due to the sheer size of the earcups and drivers within. The HD 25's have a much more concentrated sound.

If the Custom One's would not have been so huge in size, I would have bought them instantly, but I have a small head and I hate over ear headphones, so I would have looked ridiculous and hated the whole experience while loving the sound - wonderful, right? :)))

Perhaps others could describe their experience better, but this is what I've felt when I tried them on.

Regarding your deal, I don't know what to say... I didn't like the original M50's due to the size of the earcups :frowning2: so I can't provide you with any useful advice, but in terms of sound I believe that the Custom One's have a more pronounced bass signature than the M50's so if that's what you're after I'd say it's a good match. Of course, I judge this only through playing electronic music and I can't say anything about other genres. Also, I tend to avoid tracks with vocals/lyrics, because I don't like them and I prefer a more instrument based auditory experience. 

But regarding aound quality only..... You prefered the custom ones to the hd25 and m50s?

There are also the smaller (on ear) Custom Streets to consider. Good luck with finding much info regarding thosee though.

Thank you but not interested. I only will be getting the cops because someone is willing to pay 100 euros plus the cops for my m50xs wich i think its a pretty good deal for me.....

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #2,759 of 3,348
But regarding aound quality only..... You prefered the custom ones to the hd25 and m50s?

I can't comment on the sound quality regarding the M50's, because I tried them more than a year ago. I remember that they were not as bass heavy as the COP's, but that's it. The HD 25's were alright for my taste, but had recessed bass in my opinion. In terms of sound preference, I did prefer the COP's to the Sennheisers, just because of the massive bass response, but the latter had brighter highs.

Also, I don't like flat sounding headphones, as I got used to dj headphones and that's what I'll eventually get if I happen to find the right pair (but so far no luck). I'd kindly sugeest you refer to more knowledgeable people as I might not be the best person to ask. In addition, don't believe everything you read online as a hands-on approach is irreplaceable. I'd sincerely suggest that if you have the opportunity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back