hd25-1 impressions thread
Apr 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,846 of 3,348

Quote:
Maybe Ultrasone HFI 580 or 780?

hehe looking for a lot more bass than that :>, the 580 would be just like my M50 with slightly more slamming bass, I really want my balls to be rattled :D. Like really want other bassy headphones to be put to shame, and so far it will need to be Pro700 mkii level bass, but more portable and / or stylish. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #1,849 of 3,348

Quote:
hehe looking for a lot more bass than that :>, the 580 would be just like my M50 with slightly more slamming bass, I really want my balls to be rattled :D. Like really want other bassy headphones to be put to shame, and so far it will need to be Pro700 mkii level bass, but more portable and / or stylish. 

Well I think the pro700 mkii is probably the most bass you can get in a fairly cheap headphone but I like the ultrasone sound signature more.

The pro900 is considered the best basshead headphone for specific genres but I'm not sure if it's in your price range. I love mine for EDM! :D

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,850 of 3,348

Quote:

Well I think the pro700 mkii is probably the most bass you can get in a fairly cheap headphone but I like the ultrasone sound signature more.

The pro900 is considered the best basshead headphone for specific genres but I'm not sure if it's in your price range. I love mine for EDM! :D

I am willing to pay up to 300, but it would have to be like 20/10 value ^^. I'm not sure the Pro900 will have more bass, maybe even a little less than the Pro700 and the pro 900 will be bulkier and have a much longer cable. 

Like I am considering buying the Pro700 anniversary edition, which is 300$

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #1,851 of 3,348
The pro900 is a step up all around from the pro700mkii in terms of sound. Also, I wouldn't consider to be much bulkier, the earcups arent massive. It comes with 2 cord sizes, one long and coiled and one short and straight - good for portable.

It was worth the extra cash for me, I got it for around $300.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,852 of 3,348

Quote:
The pro900 is a step up all around from the pro700mkii in terms of sound. Also, I wouldn't consider to be much bulkier, the earcups arent massive. It comes with 2 cord sizes, one long and coiled and one short and straight - good for portable.
It was worth the extra cash for me, I got it for around $300.

Have you gotten a chance with the Pro700? If so is there a big difference in terms of bass impact? Oh wow well it seems they are about the same weight, and I can purchase another cable and their cups seem like the same size as the Pro700s

If I do decide to spend 300 though I will be waiting to hear more about the m-100 then, and style is important and I'd the the anniversary Pro700s are very sexy ^^

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #1,853 of 3,348
I bought my HD 25-1 around 9 years ago, and it's taken me this long to realise just how brilliant they are. Back then I just used them for DJing as well as listening to 128k mp3 (I was young and foolish back then).

Recently however, while waiting for my UM Se530x4 remoulds to come in (waited 8 weeks for them to arrive, no cable, waited another week, still no cable, then discover they didn't actually add the extra driver so I've got to send them back) I've been using these every day on my commute and at work, and I've fallen in love with them.

Popping velour pads on them has made them much more comfortable and using them with my new Clip Zip playing ALAC and FLAC has brought them to life more than my iPod ever did. At work I've been amping them off a Headroom Total Bithead too and they are just fantastic.

I have just one question, I've seen a lot of people talking about putting HD650 cables on these. Are you talking about just a stock 650 cable? And does it need to be modded in anyway to make it fit the 25s or does it pop right in?

Cheers

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,854 of 3,348
No modding needed. However you will need to reverse the cups so that they have the entry holes pointing downwards. HD600 cable on the other hand can be used without rotating the cups because it can be stuffed into the headband just like the stock one.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #1,856 of 3,348

Quote:
No modding needed. However you will need to reverse the cups so that they have the entry holes pointing downwards. HD600 cable on the other hand can be used without rotating the cups because it can be stuffed into the headband just like the stock one.

Well worth it 
smily_headphones1.gif
. Handled with careful modifications, the hd25s are class in glass.

Best

James

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #1,857 of 3,348
HD-25-II is a sweet headphone for noisy environments and when on the road. When at home a nice full-size open headphone reigns supreme, at least for me. Sure, you can manage by swapping pads now and then but I find that velour pads let too much bass through. And bass quantity is one thing I really like about them.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #1,859 of 3,348
I've had my HD25's for about 6 months now and they still amaze me with the quality they produce. They take me into another world on my daily train commute. It also helps that they look understated as you can get robbed quite easily on my train journey up to London. I would hate to be wearing a pair of beats as I would be waiting for the crack on the back of my head all the time.

I did try the HD600 cable on them but to be honest heard no difference? And I must be one of the few that actually like the standard pleather pads!

All said and done I can't see me changing these bad boys anytime soon.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #1,860 of 3,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did try the HD600 cable on them but to be honest heard no difference? And I must be one of the few that actually like the standard pleather pads!

+1 on the pleather for isolation and sound 
bigsmile_face.gif

Don't rule out a future experiment with HD650 or HD250 cable... esp. if you have a portable amp.

Best

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back