[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Nov 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,126 of 1,845
Nov 4, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #1,128 of 1,845
 What is Trap Music?

Examples:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZB-EZglAd4[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIEA8N1f6w[/VIDEO]

Urban Dictionary defines it quite accurately...

Trap music is based on use of the 808 Roland drum machine, pitched and re-sampled hiphop/rap vocals, pipe flutes, gangsta synth leads, and various FX. Similar to rap without the main vocal, Trap music has been gaining lots of attention from major DJ’s and labels. Although, the style originated many years ago, Trap music has recently been making a new school comeback in many new forms such as “Trap”, “Chirp”, “SeaPunk”, “PsyTrap”, and “TrapStep”. Earliest known examples can be found by artists such as Triple Six Mafia, UGK, Swisha House, and Gucci Mane. Tempos range widely from 135-175bpm which is uncommon for most major genres of electronic dance music (EDM).

In laymen’s terms, Trap music would be best described as a recipe;

1/3 hip hop (tempo and song structure similar) – however vocals are usually pitched lower or higher
1/3 dubstep (similar drum arrangements, different builds and drops)
1/3 dub (Low frequency focus and strong emphasis on repetitiveness throughout a song)

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #1,130 of 1,845
Just got my DT770/80s today and I'm loving them so far. Listening straight from my laptop/phone/iPod unamped. I have never owned an amp so I'm unsure what to expect, but I'm considering getting a PA2V2 after reading about how much an amp will improve the 770/80s. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,131 of 1,845
Quote:
urban dictionary defines it quite accurately...
Trap music is based on use of the 808 Roland drum machine, pitched and re-sampled hiphop/rap vocals, pipe flutes, gangsta synth leads, and various FX. Similar to rap without the main vocal, Trap music has been gaining lots of attention from major DJ’s and labels. Although, the style originated many years ago, Trap music has recently been making a new school comeback in many new forms such as “Trap”, “Chirp”, “SeaPunk”, “PsyTrap”, and “TrapStep”. Earliest known examples can be found by artists such as Triple Six Mafia, UGK, Swisha House, and Gucci Mane. Tempos range widely from 135-175bpm which is uncommon for most major genres of electronic dance music (EDM).
1/3 hip hop (tempo and song structure similar) – however vocals are usually pitched lower or higher
1/3 dub (Low frequency focus and strong emphasis on repetitiveness throughout a song)

That sounds sexy :O

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,132 of 1,845
After some deliberation between waiting on the M-100, grabbing the COP, DT770 or 880, the ATH-900X and the AKG K250, I've decided to grab the DT-990.  

Currently I just have x-fi soundcards (external on my work laptop, internal with front panel on my desktop) and a Fiio e5.  Three questions: right now the 990 premium 600 is around $205 on Amazon warehouse, and the 250 is at $150.  1) What amp should I get to power these, in the $50-$100 range?  2) Would I be able to sufficiently power the 990 600 for that price?  and 3) Is the premium model significantly better, in terms of construction, sound, ect?  I was set to wait on the M-100, but I didn't want to drop $300 on a headphone that is right now a bit of an unknown quantity.

I bit on the 990 250 ohm at $150 for now, but got them through Amazon, so I can always return them based on feedback I get here.  Genres: mainly EBM/IDM and some darkwave stuff.  

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #1,133 of 1,845
Quote:
After some deliberation between waiting on the M-100, grabbing the COP, DT770 or 880, the ATH-900X and the AKG K250, I've decided to grab the DT-990.  

Currently I just have x-fi soundcards (external on my work laptop, internal with front panel on my desktop) and a Fiio e5.  Three questions: right now the 990 premium 600 is around $205 on Amazon warehouse, and the 250 is at $150.  1) What amp should I get to power these, in the $50-$100 range?  2) Would I be able to sufficiently power the 990 600 for that price?  and 3) Is the premium model significantly better, in terms of construction, sound, ect?  I was set to wait on the M-100, but I didn't want to drop $300 on a headphone that is right now a bit of an unknown quantity.

I bit on the 990 250 ohm at $150 for now, but got them through Amazon, so I can always return them based on feedback I get here.  Genres: mainly EBM/IDM and some darkwave stuff.  

First please do not ever use IDM, again... Itelligiant Dance Music is a rather assine AMerican word that well not to many Americans even use... except the yea. If you like IDM then you need Beats Audio :3, but you don't want beats so you don't listen to IDM xD

Non the less [sorry for that] for EDM [Eletronic Dance Music] for which DUb Step, Trap, Trance, House, Progerssive House, Glitch ect... those genres that realy heavy on Synthesized bass should sound really awesome on the Dt 990, 250 Ohm. Mad Lust suggestst that the bass is the heaviest or bitiest on the 250 ohm WHICH sounds great to me.

I'm planning debating on using a cMoy BB 2.03 or an E11. The E11 has more agrressive bass but it shirnks the sound stage on Open Cans, where as the JDS cMoy has a little more laid back bass... with a little more detail and a little less taticility, but most of all the cMoy brings out a little mids and keeps the sound stage open [my cMoy has the OPA 2227 chip] 

Optimally I want a JDS c421 with a 8066 to use with my Dt 880, and I think the 2227 cMoy will be nice in for the Dt 990

But yea man I'm jellous of you :3 I want teh Dt 990 Pro 250's my self ^^ 

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,134 of 1,845
Thanks for your response.

On the music stuff: EDM is too broad a term-- it doesn't account for the specificity of genres I'll be using these with-- mainly EBM (electronic body music) and IDM-- neither of which fit within the genres you listed.  I do think there's enough variation between genres that makes it difficult to generalize, especially with more minimalist styles of techno.  

I should mention that I'm open to replacing the internal soundcard on my desktop, if that will be the better option. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,135 of 1,845
Quote:
I would say get the DT880 600-Ohm only if you can find them used for a really really good price.
And you amplifier is at least fairly decent.
Otherwise just get the DT880 250-Ohm.

Got them,

It was 230 € minus détaxe for the 250 ohms version, so it probably will end up being something like 200€ as final price. My parents bought the exposition piece, so it's now new but they said it was in perfect state, and they arrive thursday.

I'm realy excited about it ^^.

Just a random question, something like a Leckerton UHA-4 or UHA-6S mkII can drive them on acceptable levels? (I'm not used to hear music loud, but I just want it not to be too quiet).

Quote:
Examples:Urban Dictionary defines it quite accurately...

Thanks for the answer, it's surely not the kind of thing that I'm used to listen.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #1,136 of 1,845
Quote:

Got them,

It was 230 € minus détaxe for the 250 ohms version, so it probably will end up being something like 200€ as final price. My parents bought the exposition piece, so it's now new but they said it was in perfect state, and they arrive Thursday.
Just a random question, something like a Leckerton UHA-4 or UHA-6S mkII can drive them on acceptable levels? (I'm not used to hear music loud, but I just want it not to be too quiet).

For the price of the UHA-4 and UHA-6S MKII, they had better drive 250-Ohm headphones.
My $65 Fiio E11 can drive my DT880 600-Ohm headphones.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,137 of 1,845
Quote:
Thanks for your response.

IDM

Well you've been warned... keep using IDM and if you get more funny looks, I'll b sorry to hear it. I cam across the term when I got into Drum n Bass, some Drum n Bass guys where doing a very Nu Jazz sound, and apprently DnB + NuJazz=IDM or something... then I found a lot of negative disdain for the term... who cares

THe dt 990 will be wonderful for EDM

Also an E11 for DT 880 600 ohm... yea they have the Voltage to drive them [most things do] the issue if ofc the current. having enough of it to really get the Full sound, rich Mids slighty bright highs and ofc that deep bass... CUrrent is what can cause you to lack in minimilistic imporvements that the DT 880 600 bring over the 250. My FiioE6 drives the 250's decently... 

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,138 of 1,845
For $100-$110, the E9/E9K does pretty well with the 600ohm, and better with the 250ohm. I've compared it directly to my very powerful SA-31 (which is 7x more powerful than the E9 at 600ohms), and the E9 wasn't losing by a lot. Of course, Head-fi's description of a huge difference is realistically like a 5% improvement anyways, so YMMV.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,139 of 1,845
Quote:
For the price of the UHA-4 and UHA-6S MKII, they had better drive 250-Ohm headphones.
My $65 Fiio E11 can drive my DT880 600-Ohm headphones.

Thanks for the answer,

i'm asking this because:

1) my fiio e7 wasn't capable to drive de dt880-250 to good levels for me when using quiet classical/jazz music, but then, the e11 have ~ the double of the output power at the same impedance.

2) I was looking foward to change my e7 for something better as an dac/amp combo, and the two above were in my list of research. I was looking for something under US$ 300 but I think that starting this discussion in this thread would not be good.

thanks everybody for the help

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,140 of 1,845
Quote:
Also an E11 for DT 880 600 ohm... yea they have the Voltage to drive them [most things do] the issue if ofc the current. having enough of it to really get the Full sound, rich Mids slighty bright highs and ofc that deep bass...

That is not correct, higher impedance needs more voltage and less current. The E11 only runs into a current limit when driving low impedance (less than about 60  Ω) headphones at high volume.

Quote:
My FiioE6 drives the 250's decently... 

If you find the E6 enough for 250 Ω, then the E11 in the higher voltage mode would be enough (for you) for 600 Ω too, assuming there is enough gain to actually reach its maximum output. In both cases, the power at clipping level is almost the same at slightly more than 12 mW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back