[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Nov 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,111 of 1,845
I highly doubt that. They will sound 99% the same, going by what I heard of the many, many DT990s I have had recently.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,112 of 1,845
Quote:
Is there really a lot of diference between the Beyer's DT880 250 ohms and 600 ohms version?
That means, enough for me to really like one and hate the other?

I would say get the DT880 600-Ohm only if you can find them used for a really really good price.
And you amplifier is at least fairly decent.
Otherwise just get the DT880 250-Ohm.

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,113 of 1,845
Quote:
I would say get the DT880 600-Ohm only if you can find them used for a really really good price.

Or or... like me... get teh 250 for portable use and keep your 600 ohm at home <3

that's 100% what I'm doing... and I'm dropping a total of about a grand to buy an ENTIRELY new at home Rig for the dt 880 600 ohms. I'm hoping this new rig will suit me when I buy an HE 500 as well... because I enjoy the collecting of cans an amps [after I pay dem billz ofc] so I can eat cabbage and rice for 3 years so long as I can keep getting them nice cans :D

I'm hoping to get the dt 990's by December January... going to get a Cowon c2 with em and enjoy some FUN music

Mad, how well does the 990 pro take Sub Bass Eq'ing? I actually REALLY enjoy my XB700 with an eq'd mid bass hump. So I'm thiking I can just EQ the 990 with a touch more sub bass via the Cowon's EQ [+2 or so] to really get some nice sound and not even get the Xb1000's [although I might sell my xb 700s +mah Zune WITH a Line Out Accesorie :D] Ironically  I'm going to be buying an amp for my Portable Dt 880s as well... which means I might have to buy another Case for them since I've "customized" the faom in my current case to have room for the Old Smaller Amp... 

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #1,114 of 1,845
Quote:

I have right now a xonar STX, and plan to get something like schiit bifrost + asgard as an upgrade for the home rig, since I've already found a buyer for my STX if I sell them. I have been having simply too many driver headaches with the STX lately, and I think that a external dac would solve them.

Quote:
Or or... like me... get teh 250 for portable use and keep your 600 ohm at home <3

that's 100% what I'm doing... and I'm dropping a total of about a grand to buy an ENTIRELY new at home Rig for the dt 880 600 ohms. I'm hoping this new rig will suit me when I buy an HE 500 as well... because I enjoy the collecting of cans an amps [after I pay dem billz ofc] so I can eat cabbage and rice for 3 years so long as I can keep getting them nice cans :D

My problem is one of availability, the 250 is way easier to get, also is the only one I heard. Besides that, it would be my first open can, and my first not-absurdly-easy-to-drive can. So, as my only (for the moment) and first buy, I wished to know if the 250 ohms version is a good buy.

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,115 of 1,845
Quote:
Seriously, the HE400 is a whopper of a headphone. I don't think any of these mid-fi Beyers come close. Sold mine to settle for less, but I do miss them.

For someone that prefered the DT880's sound sig (mostly neutrality) over the DT990's, would the HE-400 be a good choice?
 Aren't they a bit darker overall than the beyer's?

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,116 of 1,845
Quote:

I have right now a xonar STX, and plan to get something like schiit bifrost + asgard as an upgrade for the home rig, since I've already found a buyer for my STX if I sell them. I have been having simply too many driver headaches with the STX lately, and I think that a external dac would solve them.

My problem is one of availability, the 250 is way easier to get, also is the only one I heard. Besides that, it would be my first open can, and my first not-absurdly-easy-to-drive can. So, as my only (for the moment) and first buy, I wished to know if the 250 ohms version is a good buy.

Yea the 250 is a great buy! I love mine lots <3 hence is why I want the slighty warmer 600 ohm version
Quote:
 For someone that prefered the DT880's sound sig (mostly neutrality) over the DT990's, would the HE-400 be a good choice?

A lot of people, enjoy the HE-400 as a Dt 880 replacement I hear though, there are some who still prefer the Byer Sound sig of the Hifiman's which are apprently technically better then the 880s... but as always if you have le funds buy and try your self! I'm sure you could sell them pretty quick here

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,117 of 1,845
Quote:

I have right now a xonar STX, and plan to get something like Schiit Bifrost + Asgard as an upgrade for the home rig, since I've already found a buyer for my STX if I sell them. I have been having simply too many driver headaches with the STX lately, and I think that a external dac would solve them.

Have you tried the "Unified Xonar Drivers" from the website Brainbit?
http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

If all your doing is music audio (2-channel), then sell that Essence STX for cash.

What price would you have to pay for the DT880 250 & DT880 600?

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,118 of 1,845
Thank you for the review, OP. I never tested any of the different impedance Beyers before, only having the 'standard' 250ohm models of the 770 and 880. I'm surprised that the different impedances have an impact on its sound. I have no idea why it would be.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,119 of 1,845

If you have a powerful amp, the HE-4 is a more natural progression from the DT880s. The HE4 sounds like a super DT880. The HE400 is darker and different from the Beyers, though awesome in its own way.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,120 of 1,845
Quote:
If you have a powerful amp, the HE-4 is a more natural progression from the DT880s. The HE4 sounds like a super DT880. The HE400 is darker and different from the Beyers, though awesome in its own way.

yea I like Hifiman's Products along with Byers... so if you like the dt 880 you may enjoy the extra warmth on the HE-400 although I don't like "darker" when I'm talking about replaceing the dt 880s, hence is why I'm gonna save up skip the HE-400 an go for a He-500.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #1,121 of 1,845
Quote:
yea I like Hifiman's Products along with Byers... so if you like the dt 880 you may enjoy the extra warmth on the HE-400 although I don't like "darker" when I'm talking about replaceing the dt 880s, hence is why I'm gonna save up skip the HE-400 an go for a He-500.

What happen to the DT880/600 ohm plan??

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #1,122 of 1,845

I'm hoping to get the dt 990's by December January... going to get a Cowon c2 with em and enjoy some FUN music

Mad, how well does the 990 pro take Sub Bass Eq'ing? I actually REALLY enjoy my XB700 with an eq'd mid bass hump. So I'm thiking I can just EQ the 990 with a touch more sub bass via the Cowon's EQ [+2 or so] to really get some nice sound and not even get the Xb1000's [although I might sell my xb 700s +mah Zune WITH a Line Out Accesorie :D] Ironically  I'm going to be buying an amp for my Portable Dt 880s as well... which means I might have to buy another Case for them since I've "customized" the faom in my current case to have room for the Old Smaller Amp... 

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glpudruGhWU[/VIDEO]

This sounds ridiculous on the 990s. No EQ needed.

I don't like messing with EQ anyways.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #1,123 of 1,845
... DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENG, that has some BUMP on the Dt 880s FOR REALS... good greif... and yea EQ is annoying. My fooBar is all backward from installing VST eq's... I'm going to have to reinstall it sadly >.>

So yea... eq's can suck it. Although again, the Cowons Eq should be well non problematic unlike FooBars VST managers... which limit audio to only coming from FooBar... been using Media Player Classic for music and games latley... going to reinstall my Foo Bar now it seems to... 

Also I have a new genre to explore... glitch :O I've heard a little of glitch music and it's alls had some bump to it... and now I have more to get into :D hanks 

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #1,124 of 1,845
Quote:

Quote:
Yea the 250 is a great buy! I love mine lots <3 hence is why I want the slighty warmer 600 ohm version
A lot of people, enjoy the HE-400 as a Dt 880 replacement I hear though, there are some who still prefer the Byer Sound sig of the Hifiman's which are apprently technically better then the 880s... but as always if you have le funds buy and try your self! I'm sure you could sell them pretty quick here

Thanks for the information. I haven't heard the HE-400 nor the HE-500. What  I heard was the HE-300 which aren't planar-magnetic, and prefered the DT880, but I wanting to hear a plannar for sometime now.

What I asked about them beeing darker is that I think I preferer a more neutral (don't know if brigther) presentation, and I think this because I liked very much the HD600 but I think that the HD650 were not so pleasant, and I don't think that I would want to grab, at least not soon, something darker than the HD650.

I would be paring them (beyer)  with a schiit asgard probably, as my first dedicated amp.

Quote:
Have you tried the "Unified Xonar Drivers" from the website Brainbit?
http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

If all your doing is music audio (2-channel), then sell that Essence STX for cash.

What price would you have to pay for the DT880 250 & DT880 600?

I've seen them but I haven't installed them, but they are solely for windows I  think, I pass a lot of time working on linux too, and the virtuoso drivers are not all that good they sometimes wish you belive.

90% of the time I use them for music(stereo, no 5.1 or the sort), 5% for movies and 5% for games(I'm no hardcore gamer). I already have a friend who is interested in buying as soon as put it for sale, and because of it I also had the same idea about selling it.

I'm going to sell it for about the same price I payed for it (~ US$ 175-200), and for him it's going to still be a good deal, since the normal price where I live is close to US$ 350-400, I'm not happy to sell it so high, but since it was him that said the price, I'm not going to complain.

The prices that I linked before. My parents are in Paris right now so they would bring me the DT880, and this is the store that I've found them:
http://www.magma.fr/?module=boutique&act=details&pid=1017985

The store is on big sale, so I belive that they could cut some deal, and at least there is the détaxe to help a bit.

The option was to buy them from a e-retailer like amazon(the only I know), but the DT880-600 ohms is sold out there, and also I don't know if they would arrive in time, since they will stay there only till wednesday.

http://www.amazon.fr/Beyer-Casque-Circumaural-Semi-ouvert-Dynamique/dp/B000F2BLTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351965778&sr=8-1

It's not the best price, when I was there I almost grabed the DT880-250 for 190€, but I wasn't sure because I was split between this and the HD600 and I hadn't yet compared the one right beside the other, and when I finaly did, it was out of stock T.T

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,125 of 1,845
... DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENG, that has some BUMP on the Dt 880s FOR REALS... good greif... and yea EQ is annoying. My fooBar is all backward from installing VST eq's... I'm going to have to reinstall it sadly >.>

So yea... eq's can suck it. Although again, the Cowons Eq should be well non problematic unlike FooBars VST managers... which limit audio to only coming from FooBar... been using Media Player Classic for music and games latley... going to reinstall my Foo Bar now it seems to... 

Also I have a new genre to explore... glitch :O I've heard a little of glitch music and it's alls had some bump to it... and now I have more to get into :D hanks 

That's actually Trap music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back