[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Nov 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #1,142 of 1,845
Quote:

That is not correct, higher impedance needs more voltage and less current. The E11 only runs into a current limit when driving low impedance (less than about 60  Ω) headphones at high volume.

If you find the E6 enough for 250 Ω, then the E11 in the higher voltage mode would be enough (for you) for 600 Ω too, assuming there is enough gain to actually reach its maximum output. In both cases, the power at clipping level is almost the same at slightly more than 12 mW.

And for me the E11(the E11 is also not enough for the 250 ohm either,the E6 is sufficent... sufficent is not even good nor great I suppose the E11 would be pleasently sufficent), it losses detail and shrinks the sound stage for me compared to my cMoy. And ofc both my E11 and my cMoy have enough gain to reach ouput... but ofc maybe I need to freshen up on the ohms theory as well as refresh my self on all these techincal terms

But I still want to run my 600 ohm through a Tube, and a DAC. No point in getting a can as nice as the 880 600ohm and not using a Tube amp

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,143 of 1,845
Quote:
Well you've been warned... keep using IDM and if you get more funny looks, I'll b sorry to hear it. I cam across the term when I got into Drum n Bass, some Drum n Bass guys where doing a very Nu Jazz sound, and apprently DnB + NuJazz=IDM or something... then I found a lot of negative disdain for the term... who cares

THe dt 990 will be wonderful for EDM

Also an E11 for DT 880 600 ohm... yea they have the Voltage to drive them [most things do] the issue if ofc the current. having enough of it to really get the Full sound, rich Mids slighty bright highs and ofc that deep bass... CUrrent is what can cause you to lack in minimilistic imporvements that the DT 880 600 bring over the 250. My FiioE6 drives the 250's decently... 

IDM= bands like Autechre, Plastikman, Boards of Canada, Proem, some of the Ant-Zen bands, ect.  It's an established term that describes a particular style of techno.  I'm not using it in a pejorative sense, just thought it would be easier to use the shorthand than to list the bands individually.  I've been listening to this stuff since the early '90s, not too worried about what the D 'n B crowd thinks of terminology at this point.

In terms of amps: I'll probably hold off until I see if the open design works in my office.  But if the e11 provides enough juice to drive the 250 ohm model, for $50 that looks like a great solution.  Headphones arrive tomorrow, I'm excited to give them their first run on my existing gear.     

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #1,144 of 1,845
Quote:
And for me the E11(the E11 is also not enough for the 250 ohm either,the E6 is sufficent... sufficent is not even good nor great I suppose the E11 would be pleasently sufficent), it losses detail and shrinks the sound stage for me compared to my cMoy. And ofc both my E11 and my cMoy have enough gain to reach ouput... but ofc maybe I need to freshen up on the ohms theory as well as refresh my self on all these techincal terms

But I still want to run my 600 ohm through a Tube, and a DAC. No point in getting a can as nice as the 880 600ohm and not using a Tube amp

im still in the process of comparing the e11 and the cmoy, and i own the 770s (250 ohm) and not the 880s. but i will say that the e11 can easily drive my cans to ear-splitting volume... what do you mean not enough? is sound stage even affected by amps? i mean, if your amps have enough power/voltage/current/ whatever it takes to drive your headphones to high spl, wouldnt it have enough to maintain the highest level of sound stage your cans are capable of?

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,145 of 1,845
Quote:
im still in the process of comparing the e11 and the cmoy, and i own the 770s (250 ohm) and not the 880s. but i will say that the e11 can easily drive my cans to ear-splitting volume... what do you mean not enough? is sound stage even affected by amps? i mean, if your amps have enough power/voltage/current/ whatever it takes to drive your headphones to high spl, wouldnt it have enough to maintain the highest level of sound stage your cans are capable of?

Yes the sound stage is affected by amps, because the e11 has a darker bass sound which makes everything sound a little narrower. To my ears all dark cans sound EXTRA narrow, and the E11 is a little dark. Now for a BASS HEAD CAN that's GREAT and the pro 990 250 ohm might LOVE the extra dark ness. Not to mention the cMoy is a little more lush so it adds a little mids as well I think which is nice for a can like the dt 880

but both amps can drive my cans to EAR spiltting volumes. Also I have the 18V cmoy 

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #1,146 of 1,845
The 990 600 ohm are on Amazon warehouse deals for $183, I had originally grabbed the 250 model but between the straight cable and the carrying case, figured it's worth the upgrade.  Still trying to decide on an amp-- the 250 sounded decent out of my old stereo receiver, but there's an audible hiss from the headphone jack.  Will likely grab the e11.  

The 250 model I received were in perfect condition, except for a tiny bump in the cable.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #1,149 of 1,845
The E11 was made to handle up to 300ohm cans. You're going to be losing quite a bit of dynamics during busy passages in music and the like. The E11 will be struggling to keep up, and the Beyers will sound anemic and flat under those conditions. I have paired up the 990/600 with the E17 which has similar power to the E11. It was NOT a good combo.

If you're going to get the E11, best get a 250ohm, or even better the 32ohm.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #1,150 of 1,845
Really don't understand why people insist on getting the highest possible ohm and pairing it with unsuitable amps. It's... well, stupid to me. Both the 32ohm and 250ohm sounded better with a portable amp. (I had all three at the same time).

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #1,151 of 1,845
Thanks.  That's a more detailed response than your initial one.  I have the 250 and will be getting the 600 next week.  I have until the end of January to make a decision, because of Amazon's current holiday return window.  Decided to order the 600 because it was only $30 more, has a straight cable vs. coiled, and a carrying case.  The coiled cable was starting to annoy me already.  I also need to see how the 990 works in my office, and if I'll still be able to hear the street noise when I'm running them at moderate volumes-- if not I'm back to looking for a set of closed cans. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,152 of 1,845
Assuming your office has it's own door, you wouldn't bother anyone even with the most open can. The DT990 doesn't leak loudly compared to others I have tried, like the K/Q701 and HE400.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,153 of 1,845
It's more about not being able to hear the ambient noise-- really loud air conditioner that runs all summer, a lot of street traffic, people talking loudly in the bordering offices.  I'm currently using some Monster IEMs and ATH M-35, which totally seal out everything. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #1,154 of 1,845
Yeah, the DT990 isn't gonna block out much noise. Hell, I have a very loud fan in my room, and it's pretty audible, but once the music gets going, I don't care.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,155 of 1,845
That's pretty much all I'm looking for-- loud enough that I don't care.  My first impressions of the 990 have been really, really positive, even with a bit of noise in the source.  The last pair of open 'phones I had were Siberia Icemat gaming cans.  These actually have a similar feel, in terms of comfort and weight (almost not even there), but the sound is obviously much, much better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back