[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Jan 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #736 of 1,845
But I don't do PC gaming, only console gaming. I'd rather invest my money in headphone and audio gear than a new Gaming PC. With Battlefield 3 on my PS3 it  actually sounded OK, but stereo mode is a lot better IMO. But I tried Dolby Headphone from my NAD T-747 and it sounded better than the MixAmp but not by much. I have used some DSP's on my PC with DOOM 3 and they sounded OK but nothing spectacular. DSP degrade and alter the sound too much to be enjoyable. Just my view on it.

Quote:
Looks like you've got a catastrophically incompatible HRTF.  You might want to try different DSPs since they're all different.  Because every person has a different anatomy and these DSPs aren't customizable they have to aim for a generic average and they aren't all the same.  Some people who hate one DSP like Dolby Headphone get great results with something else like CMSS 3D.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #737 of 1,845
Quote:
But I don't do PC gaming, only console gaming. I'd rather invest my money in headphone and audio gear than a new Gaming PC. With Battlefield 3 on my PS3 it  actually sounded OK, but stereo mode is a lot better IMO. But I tried Dolby Headphone from my NAD T-747 and it sounded better than the MixAmp but not by much. I have used some DSP's on my PC with DOOM 3 and they sounded OK but nothing spectacular. DSP degrade and alter the sound too much to be enjoyable. Just my view on it.

That would put you in a bind.  All the external solutions I know of except for the the Headzone and the Realiser use Dolby Headphone so there's not much else to try.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #738 of 1,845
Hello,

I'm interesting by the DT770 but in the beginning of the thread you describe DT770 PRO 250 and DT770 250 (not version pro).
But i don't find where to buy the DT770 250 (not version pro).
I don't find this model on the beyerdynamic website.
Is it still sold ?

Thanks a lot.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #739 of 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyAndroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm interesting by the DT770 but in the beginning of the thread you describe DT770 PRO 250 and DT770 250 (not version pro).
Is it still sold ?

The "premium" (grey colored with straight cord) versions have been discontinued, the replacement is perhaps the T70, although it costs at least twice as much. Some stores could still have them in stock, so you may find one if you do some search. HeadRoom apparently still has the 600 Ohm version, but the 250 Ohm is already out of stock. Or just get the 250 Ohm Pro version.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #741 of 1,845

Quote:
Hello,

Is it still sold ?

Thanks a lot.

Perhaps you might also consider the DT150 at 200 Ohm....ugly, I know...but my favorite headphone!

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #742 of 1,845
Would Little Dot Mk5 power then DT990 600 Ohm nicely?  To give you an idea of its power,  it powers HD650's nicely, and almost never requires to go over 50% of volume, and at 60% it becomes unbearably loud.  Is DT990 much harder to run than HD650?

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #743 of 1,845
That's one darned good headphone from what I have heard. I really wanna try one but don't have the funds.

Quote:

Perhaps you might also consider the DT150 at 200 Ohm....ugly, I know...but my favorite headphone!

I think the MKV would only be able to put out 100mw max into a 600Ohm load, and yes the DT990 are harder to amp as they are low sensitivity and high impedance. I have not tried the combo first hand but I think it may be enough juice. I am still not 100% sure though. It may not be enough at all. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Quote:
Would Little Dot Mk5 power then DT990 600 Ohm nicely?  To give you an idea of its power,  it powers HD650's nicely, and almost never requires to go over 50% of volume, and at 60% it becomes unbearably loud.  Is DT990 much harder to run than HD650?

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #744 of 1,845

Quote:
I think the MKV would only be able to put out 100mw max into a 600Ohm load, and yes the DT990 are harder to amp as they are low sensitivity and high impedance. I have not tried the combo first hand but I think it may be enough juice. I am still not 100% sure though. It may not be enough at all. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Thanks. I'm not sure how much MKV can put out into 600 Ohm, but it can put out 187 mW into 300 Ohms, so I'd guess it can put out a little over 100 mW into 600.  Well...if it won't be enough juice for them, then I'll just have to use them straight out of my Asus Xonar ST integrated headphone amp, it has enough juice to run them I'd guess, as it runs HD650 insanely loud at only 30% of volume when at highest gain setting. Doesn't sound quite as good as with Little Dot though...

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #745 of 1,845
The MKV is a ton more powerful than your Asus Xonar ST. I wouldn't even bother with the ST at all, your headphone would clip non stop. The Asus, is good, but can't power much of anything higher than 32Ohms. It may get them loud enough by applying a ton of gain but the phones aren't getting the voltage they require.

I have the Asus Xonar STX and it can barely drive anything well besides my low impedance headphones.

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not sure how much MKV can put out into 600 Ohm, but it can put out 187 mW into 300 Ohms, so I'd guess it can put out a little over 100 mW into 600.  Well...if it won't be enough juice for them, then I'll just have to use them straight out of my Asus Xonar ST integrated headphone amp, it has enough juice to run them I'd guess, as it runs HD650 insanely loud at only 30% of volume when at highest gain setting. Doesn't sound quite as good as with Little Dot though...

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #746 of 1,845
Quote:
I have the Asus Xonar STX and it can barely drive anything well besides my low impedance headphones.

The Essence ST and STX have the same output chip as the Fiio E9.  It can do 20v p-p.  

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #747 of 1,845
Oh? Interesting indeed. I never get any sort of clipping with the FiiO E9, not at least until I have the volume over half way. I don't have any other beyers on hand to compare but from memory the DT880/600Ohm clipped with my STX badly even before reach 1/2 of the total volume. Still The amp is a better choice as it's a lot more quiet and the sound quality in general is better. PC soundcard's can be super noisy from my experience.

Quote:
The Essence ST and STX have the same same output chip as the Fiio E9.  It can do 20v p-p.  

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #748 of 1,845
Quote:
Oh? Interesting indeed. I never get any sort of clipping with the FiiO E9, not at least until I have the volume over half way. I don't have any other beyers on hand to compare but from memory the DT880/600Ohm clipped with my STX badly even before reach 1/2 of the total volume. Still The amp is a better choice as it's a lot more quiet and the sound quality in general is better. PC soundcard's can be super noisy from my experience.

They can be noisy.  They STX/ST are pretty well shielded though. Most people don't have problems with them even in stacked PCs  Stereophile has some good looking measurements.

Did you switch the gain mode in the software with yours?  At the low setting the 600 ohm Beyers won't get near enough voltage.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #749 of 1,845
Mine is at the 600Ohm setting I believe. Been a while since I played with it though as I don't use it anymore. I always go from my DAC > ROC > A5+ so the soundcard is never used.

Quote:
They can be noisy.  They STX/ST are pretty well shielded though. Most people don't have problems with them even in stacked PCs  Stereophile has some good looking measurements.

Did you switch the main mode in the software with yours?  At the low setting the 600 ohm Beyers won't get near enough voltage.

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #750 of 1,845
Quote:
I never get any sort of clipping with the FiiO E9, not at least until I have the volume over half way. I don't have any other beyers on hand to compare but from memory the DT880/600Ohm clipped with my STX badly even before reach 1/2 of the total volume. Still The amp is a better choice as it's a lot more quiet and the sound quality in general is better.

There is definitely a problem if you get noticeably lower maximum volume (I mean actual power output to the headphones, not the position of the volume control) with the STX compared to the E9 without clipping. Other than the gain setting, there are two volume controls, and some other settings in the mixer, so using those correctly may also make a difference; also, make sure that the external power supply is properly connected (although if it was not, I would guess there would be no sound at all; however, if the voltage is there, but not high enough for some reason, that could explain it). Maybe you have a faulty card or power supply.

The STX is not noisy when working correctly (i.e. not affected by an extremely noisy PC, ground loops, bad power supply, or other problems), in fact the Xonar cards from the D1 and above have very good SNR and distortion for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back