[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Feb 4, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #751 of 1,845
Quote:

Thanks. I'm not sure how much MKV can put out into 600 Ohm, but it can put out 187 mW into 300 Ohms, so I'd guess it can put out a little over 100 mW into 600.

Their power specs do not seem to make much sense (the large drop of voltage from 300 Ohm to 120 Ohm would suggest high output impedance, but then the output to 32 Ohm is too high), but it is probably enough.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #752 of 1,845

Quote:
The MKV is a ton more powerful than your Asus Xonar ST. I wouldn't even bother with the ST at all, your headphone would clip non stop. The Asus, is good, but can't power much of anything higher than 32Ohms. It may get them loud enough by applying a ton of gain but the phones aren't getting the voltage they require.

I have the Asus Xonar STX and it can barely drive anything well besides my low impedance headphones.

It can.  :p   Asus Xonar ST has very powerful amp inside, it can swing a lot of voltage.  It runs my HD650's as i said, just as good as Little Dot in terms of overall quality, but I prefer the sound signature of little dot because it has a slightly wider sound stage and its a bit brighter. ST on itself is pretty warm.  But as far as power goes, HD650's work very impressively on ST, it doesn't feel like its underpowered, there's no clipping whatsoever, or even a hint of headphones being underpowered.  Sounds is perfectly clear and distortion free at any volume, bass is dominant, fast and punchy, and thats the hardest things to "get going" on the HD650's because they have almost 600 Ohm spike in the bass - low mids area. 

Maybe your STX was not functioning properly.  Getting clipping at 50% of volume doesn't sound right, even with 600 Ohm headphones. Are you sure you used a good molex power cord from your PC power supply? I had similar problem with old D2X card, where I had a graphics card and hard drives connected to the same cable as the sound card, and it was very silent and was also clipping.

At highest gain setting (300-600 Ohm, +18db),  my Hd650's even at 40-50% of volume  get so loud thats its uncomfortable to listen even for a few seconds, but still remaining crystal clear and without distortion. I would never go above 35% when listening to music.  On my HD558's I never have to go above 30% ,  and HD438's, which I usually use directly from the sound card, since they buzz a lot with little dot, they get a comfortably loud volume at 12-13% of volume control with high gain settings.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #753 of 1,845

Quote:
Their power specs do not seem to make much sense (the large drop of voltage from 300 Ohm to 120 Ohm would suggest high output impedance, but then the output to 32 Ohm is too high), but it is probably enough.

What the hell, I'll just buy the 600 Ohm version of DT990.  If it won't function properly, I'll replace them,  or get a new amplifier, since Little Dot is buzzing quite a lot due to ground loop issues.  That has started to bother me more and more lately.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #754 of 1,845

Quote:

Thanks. I'm not sure how much MKV can put out into 600 Ohm, but it can put out 187 mW into 300 Ohms, so I'd guess it can put out a little over 100 mW into 600.  Well...if it won't be enough juice for them, then I'll just have to use them straight out of my Asus Xonar ST integrated headphone amp, it has enough juice to run them I'd guess, as it runs HD650 insanely loud at only 30% of volume when at highest gain setting. Doesn't sound quite as good as with Little Dot though...

100 mW would be quite loud into a pair of DT990/600 ohm cans: 116 dB SPL
redface.gif

The sensitivity of DT990s is 1 mW = 96 dB SPL
Maximum power into a pair is 100 mW.

This is straight out of the manufacturer's web site.
beyersmile.png

Cheers,
C

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #755 of 1,845

Quote:
100 mW would be quite loud into a pair of DT990/600 ohm cans: 116 dB SPL
redface.gif

The sensitivity of DT990s is 1 mW = 96 dB SPL
Maximum power into a pair is 100 mW.

This is straight out of the manufacturer's web site.
beyersmile.png

Cheers,
C

Yea I guess 116 dB is enough lol. Although I think MKV can output quite a bit more than 100 mW into 600 Ohm. I just hope DT990's won't be too bright for me, I never had a pair of cans other than Sennheisers and I'm quite used to HD650's now. But i need a fun pair of headphones for music other than classical, jazz and vocal, so I guess HD650 + DT990 will be a nice combo to cover most genres. :p

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #756 of 1,845
ive always wondered if the numbers on beyers site are accurate though.  i think they list the same sensitivity for all the different versions.  check out the innerfidelity measurements. 
it says .43 mW for 90 db
and .514 Vrms for 90 db

don't ask me what that means though

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #757 of 1,845
I am also thinking of getting some Beyers for rock, from what I have seen a lot of people seem to like the 880's more than the 990's and to be honest looking at the graphs for both, the 880's seem a little smoother. These will be amped on a Headroom Home amplifier. Just wondered what peoples opinions are about these two phones.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #758 of 1,845
Quote:
ive always wondered if the numbers on beyers site are accurate though.  i think they list the same sensitivity for all the different versions.  check out the innerfidelity measurements. 
it says .43 mW for 90 db
and .514 Vrms for 90 db

don't ask me what that means though

You can play around with this calculator and get the numbers you need.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #759 of 1,845
Quote:
it says .43 mW for 90 db
and .514 Vrms for 90 db

It translates to 93.67 dB/mW. The 96 dB/mW spec is probably not accurate, as it is just copied and pasted for every model, at every impedance. Even with the same drivers, the differences in the housing, ear pads, etc. will change the overall loudness. I find my DT770 Pro to be louder by 2-3 dB than the DT880 Pro of the same impedance. This also agrees with the graphs at doctorhead.ru. But there is probably also some random manufacturing variation. When multiple headphones of the same model are measured at InnerFidelity, the sensitivity often varies by up to a couple of dB.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #760 of 1,845

Quote:
That's one darned good headphone from what I have heard. I really wanna try one but don't have the funds.

Zombie_X - I really think the DT150 deserves a spot on your Beyerdynamic reviews postings.  I'm curious to know of your impressions. 

I must say, though, that out of my tube amp I did not like these.  My DT770 600 ohm were much smoother, warmer, and extended lower on the Woo6.

However, on solid state (my Nuforce HDP), and even directly out of the MacBook or iPod, I actually prefer the DT150 to the DT770 600 Ohm.  They're a bit less boomy, and the bass seems tighter.  The mids are slightly recessed, but just slightly. 

I've ordered some velour pads (the pads are actually for the DT100 - basically the same headphone with a different color scheme and impedence choices).  The velour pads will allow the ears to be a bit closer to the drivers, which should help with the mids & add a bit more comfort for the long listening sessions as the pleather on these gets a bit hot.

These headphones are bulletproof!

I'd consider letting you borrow my pair if you really wanted to give them a try.  No pressure, though, if you don't like 'em - just an honest review from our resident Beyerdynamic expert.  You can PM me if you're interested.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #761 of 1,845

Quote:

Yea I guess 116 dB is enough lol. Although I think MKV can output quite a bit more than 100 mW into 600 Ohm. I just hope DT990's won't be too bright for me, I never had a pair of cans other than Sennheisers and I'm quite used to HD650's now. But i need a fun pair of headphones for music other than classical, jazz and vocal, so I guess HD650 + DT990 will be a nice combo to cover most genres. :p

That should be a very complementary pair!
I find the HD650s are dark (too dark for my taste) and the DT990 are on the bright side.
One thing for sure, the DT990s are VERY comfortable.
beyersmile.png

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #762 of 1,845

Quote:

Zombie_X - I really think the DT150 deserves a spot on your Beyerdynamic reviews postings.  I'm curious to know of your impressions. 

I must say, though, that out of my tube amp I did not like these.  My DT770 600 ohm were much smoother, warmer, and extended lower on the Woo6.

However, on solid state (my Nuforce HDP), and even directly out of the MacBook or iPod, I actually prefer the DT150 to the DT770 600 Ohm.  They're a bit less boomy, and the bass seems tighter.  The mids are slightly recessed, but just slightly. 

I've ordered some velour pads (the pads are actually for the DT100 - basically the same headphone with a different color scheme and impedence choices).  The velour pads will allow the ears to be a bit closer to the drivers, which should help with the mids & add a bit more comfort for the long listening sessions as the pleather on these gets a bit hot.

These headphones are bulletproof!

I'd consider letting you borrow my pair if you really wanted to give them a try.  No pressure, though, if you don't like 'em - just an honest review from our resident Beyerdynamic expert.  You can PM me if you're interested.

Have you tried leather pads on the 770? This is my preference.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #763 of 1,845
I have tried them and it sounds much better than the stock pads. The sound becomes even more balanced and the mids fill in more.

Quote:
Have you tried leather pads on the 770? This is my preference.

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #764 of 1,845
like  J$ or what?

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #765 of 1,845

Users who are viewing this thread

Back