[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Nov 29, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #151 of 1,845
The DT770's bass is lighter, but also tighter in ways. Also the highs are not as prominent as the DT880. This does help the mids come forward a bit. I would say as far as PRaT/speed that they are nearly the same. The DT880 maybe a bit faster but it'shard to tell.

Quote:
the dt770s' bass are lighter than the dt880s :-?. and the dt880s also have more treble. That means the mid on dt770 may be better and more forward mid. Can you tell me which one have better Prat/speed

The one I heard had about 20 Hours on it at first and I gave it an additional 100 hours. I personally do not believe in burn-in, but did this so people would not complain. I can say that I heard no sound change at all.

Quote:
Thanks Zombie_X for the great comparisons. I was able to only compare the DT770-Pro80 against the DT880-Pro250 (and heard very similar results).
It sounds like the Pro 80s were indeed the correct choice for me since a portable amp was an absolute requirement and it seems you are saying these are the only ones out of the 770 line that are relatively easy to drive.
Out of curiosity did you have a lot of hours on the Pro 80s? I have found that after a few hundred hours that the bass becomes more balanced (though still a little heavy).

Thanks again for the awesome and very useful article.

Yes the sensitivity determines how much power the headphone will receive from the amp as well as how easy they are to drive. The lower the sensitivity, the more power you will need to amp a headphone correctly. The K702 has a very low sensitivity as well as low impedance. This combo of sensitivity and impedance results in whether you will need more or less power. In the case of the K702 they will need a nice voltage swing as well as a high current amp to reach their potential. If you have a headphone with high sensitivity and a lower impedance that will equate to a very efficient load to drive. This is usually the case.

I don't know the sensitivity levels of the other DT models, but I know that they are lower than that of the HD600. The 105dB sensitivity of your DT770 Pro 80Ohm is at the same level of the K702, but the extra 20 or so Ohms that the DT770 has makes them easier to amp. The DT880 for example is low sensitivity (probably the same as the DT770 Pro 80Ohm), but has an impedance of 250Ohms or 600Ohms. The high impedance will make it so they are a bit easier to amp. Believe or not but even though the K702 has an impedance of 62Ohms they are still harder to amp than the 600Ohm DT880.

A least that's my take on the whole sensitivity bit, but maybe someone else can chime in to help me out. I believe I got that all right, but I know they are some exceptions out there.

Quote:
Quick question (and sorry if this is dumb), but sensitivity determines how easily a headphone is driven correct? And the higher the sensitivity, the more power a headphone needs to be properly driven? What are the sensitivity of the DT 770 models? I know that the 770 pro 80 has 105 dB (which is hard to drive right? Same as a Denon AH D2000 I think).

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #152 of 1,845
So in short: The larger the impedance in comparison to the sensitivity, the easier it is to amp and power. I think that's a great way to explain it. It makes sense and easily understandable. Thanks dude that's very helpful to know! Now I just need to find the sensitivity levels of all the DT 770s. That little detail seems to be missing from spec sheets everywhere I look...

EDIT:

Zombie I should blow you haha jk (no homo). But really I've read so many helpful posts from you by now. I've been scouring this forum for info on Beyer DT 770 threads and read tons of helpful posts from you. Keep up the good work :)

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #153 of 1,845
Thanks man and I'll be here for a long while to help out.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #154 of 1,845
Quote:

A least that's my take on the whole sensitivity bit, but maybe someone else can chime in to help me out. I believe I got that all right, but I know they are some exceptions out there. 

The FiiO E9 is an extremely affordable solid state amp that can amp all Beyers up to the T1 and then some. Here's some impressions from the London Mini-Meet Thread:

Source:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/525901/london-mini-meet-impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE 

[size=small]despite it's deceptive price tag the FiiO E9/E7 combination was one of the surprise hits of the night.[/size]

[size=small]A lot of people seemed as surprised as me that a desktop rig this cheap and this small was quite so good. The head-fi world is one where, to an extent, price tag and quality of product are a little conflated sometimes. We see amps and dacs for hundreds of pounds and assume anything less just can't be good, can it? Yes it can. FiiO have pulled off a product here that was not just holding its own but actulaly out performing a lot of the more expensive amps in the room and frankly at the price is a no-brainer. Funny thing is if they'd slapped a multi-hundred price tag on the unit it'd probably have generated a lot more interest and praise by now.[/size]

Quote:
Objectively the FiiO combo had more power than the Apogee Duet, Corda Cantate.2 and the other Meier which I'm actually unsure of the model of. In terms of its ability to drive phones I can objectively say it out-peformed all those pricer models. I'm not very down on the technical side of things, ie. the difference between current and voltage swing and stuff like that, so can't give a lot of detail, all I know is that the T1 felt underpowered through those multi-hundred pound amps while it sung with the £120 FiiO combo.

Then there is the issue of features. It is very versatile with the two channel power output, dac section which doubles as a portable amp and so on. Although I do have some issues with the lack of RCA line in and pre amp output. Not really sure why they decided mini sockets were a better option there... 

Subjectively I preferred the sound of it for more up-front fast music, while I felt my Cantate.2 had perhaps a little more grace and delicacy.

I'd need to do much more comparison with more controlled conditions. I'd like to try the same external dac with all the amps, for etc, to judge the quality of the amp and dac sections, compare using the same tracks and so on before saying for certain that the FiiO was "better" than those amps. But it is better at driving demanding phones than them, has an immensely enjoyable and involving sound signature and is absolutely worth the money. Since I've budgeted badly for christmas I'm considering getting a set so I can sell my Cantate..2 to generate a christmas present fund!

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #155 of 1,845
I wouldn't be able to get both the FiiO E7 and E9 together if I went that route, which would you say I should get first? I saw a post on here somewhere about those with the E7 getting a rebate on the E9 if you showed proof of purchase or something like that, does anyone know if that's still valid?

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #156 of 1,845
That was only prior to the E9's release, for those who didn't want to wait and get the E7 in the meantime via Micca Store. If you are using a computer as a source, get the E7 first as the DAC is the most valuable part of this chain. It will be a significant improvement from your onboard soundcard.

Give Jack a PM, there still might be a chance you can get the rebate.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #157 of 1,845
Alright thanks, I'll be using my computer as the source for the most part so I'll be sure to get the E7 first. The rebate isn't really an issue, but if it was still going on then I figured I might as well take advantage of it.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #158 of 1,845
Your link is broken (it points back here). Here's the fixed one: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/525901/london-mini-meet-impressions

Quote:
Quote:

The FiiO E9 is an extremely affordable solid state amp that can amp all Beyers up to the T1 and then some. Here's some impressions from the London Mini-Meet Thread:

Source:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/525901/london-mini-meet-impressions

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #160 of 1,845
I've taken the plunge and bought the Dt990s used for 180usd, a bit expensive I know but a brand new one costs around 400usd in my country, which is sheer robbery :X  Been enjoying it these two weeks the bass is head and shoulders over the AD700s which I owned as my first cans...since I game quite a lot too these cans are provide excellent ambience and immersion :)

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #163 of 1,845
The 990 is pretty good, tight sounding bass ( at least to me ) while the vocals are clear, nice highs. And I think they will scale well with higher quality amps too  ( from what I've read )

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #164 of 1,845
I absolutely could not stand the DT990s, especially when compared side-by-side to the DT880. (And then to the HD650 for that matter)

Stand alone, without comparing it to anything, it sounds decent. But when I was shown "The Truth" by comparing it to the DT880, I was appalled at what I heard.

Beyers are great, don't get me wrong, but their sound signature is just too bright. It sounds like an "upside-down pyramid". Higher = treble, Lower = bass.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #165 of 1,845
I just wanted to say thanks from someone who will soon be entering the Beyerdynamics world. 

So much great information here which will save a lot of people a lot of time.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back