[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Dec 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #181 of 1,845
The trouble is, it's very very difficult to find something that can replicate (or at least compete with) Grado mids, while having more bass at the same time. The DT990 is supposed to have more recessed-sounding mids than the DT880, whose mids I didn't quite like (slightly too recessed). Denon D2000s have great bass, but also recessed mids. The closest I've come to experiencing Grado-style mids is with my K701, which is why I still have them. I'd imagine some of the vintage AKG models (K240 comes to mind) have the same AKG mids, but with more bass. I've wanted to try them out for a while but I don't think they will fit on my head.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #182 of 1,845
I tried the 701 the same day I demoed and bought my Grados...but only very briefly. Perhaps next time I am at the place I did the demo I'll give them more time. Only reason I didn't give them much time is that I was just curious but already had my mind made up on the Grados. I do know they were super comfy...lol

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #183 of 1,845
Quote:
The trouble is, it's very very difficult to find something that can replicate (or at least compete with) Grado mids, while having more bass at the same time. The DT990 is supposed to have more recessed-sounding mids than the DT880, whose mids I didn't quite like (slightly too recessed). Denon D2000s have great bass, but also recessed mids. The closest I've come to experiencing Grado-style mids is with my K701, which is why I still have them. I'd imagine some of the vintage AKG models (K240 comes to mind) have the same AKG mids, but with more bass. I've wanted to try them out for a while but I don't think they will fit on my head.

You might want to try the D5000.  They've got deep bass with more forward mids than the D2000s.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #184 of 1,845
I have both those cans myself..I also find myself drawn to the 770 pro's. I also had the 990 320 ohm and I like the 770's also. Better bass and you can hear all the details. Very much liking the 770's.. :)

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #185 of 1,845
Okay I am A/Bing the 770 vs. 880 right now.  Both are 32 ohm versions.
Source iTunes LAME VBR 0, Asus Xonar U1 all DSP off.
Y splitter 3.5mm RCA, simultaneously connected. 

About me: 
I am scientifically minded. 
I do not believe in burn in.
I do not believe cabling makes a difference unless to shield from EMI.
I do not believe amps sound "good."  They should only provide power with low noise.
I generally reject Sennheisers for modern, popular music. 
This background info is not for starting a debate. 
It is for you to relate to how it affects my review. 

My Review:
The differences between these two are so, so slight that they are almost the same. 
If you don't go looking for differences, you won't find it. 

Now, that said.  As for the tiny discernible differences that do exist:
1. 880 has more mids.  (better for vocal / acoustic)
2. 770 has more deep bass.  (better for hip hop / club)
3. 880 has a slightly bigger soundstage, and i mean slight
4. Expected Fit to be exactly the same, but are quite different.  Haven't made up my mind which is more comfortable yet.

I'll probably keep the 880 because it adds slight midrange that was lacking before.
$60 difference isn't that much for me. 
I have satisfactory bass cans (XB 700) and I figure the 880 would be better at doing everything else. 
However, if I only had money for ONE can, I would choose the 770. 
The 770 has better bass, a bit more immediate, and cheaper.  And these differences are tiny.
I'm certain you can EQ your way to each different model. 
The treble is equally sibilant on both.  I have to EQ both down for loud listening.   

I doubt any real differences exist between the same model / different ohms,
and it comes from the self imposed need to find a difference that doesn't exist.
Can't be sure though because I haven't tried different ohm versions of the same model.

Anyway, that's my take on the 770 vs. 880.  
If you can only afford one can, get the 770 and EQ the midrange up.  $190
If you've got another can for hip hop / electronic, then try the 880.  $250

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #186 of 1,845
Great A/B however with my 770/80 I found that I was not able to simply EQ the mid range up. It just did not sound good, very unnatural to me. Of course that could just be a difference between the 32ohm and 80ohm version. I am however glad to see the mids in the 880 are better. That is what I prefer over bass though I like some bass too. I still need to decide if I want to use the money from selling my 770's for some 880's or to put towards a new DAC.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #187 of 1,845
From what I've read, your DT770 pro 80? are a completely different form of Beyers. 
Pretty sure those should not be reviewed in alongside the Premium / Standard versions.

And let me emphasize again, the 880 difference is super, duper, unbelievably slight. 
Put another way, if I have one of these on for a few hours, I will forget which one I'm listening to. 
So if that's the case, it really doesn't matter which is what.
Now, I'm going to spend my DT770 money on a completely different can. 
Quote:
Great A/B however with my 770/80 I found that I was not able to simply EQ the mid range up. It just did not sound good, very unnatural to me. Of course that could just be a difference between the 32ohm and 80ohm version. I am however glad to see the mids in the 880 are better. That is what I prefer over bass though I like some bass too. I still need to decide if I want to use the money from selling my 770's for some 880's or to put towards a new DAC.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #188 of 1,845
Do the DT770 pro 80s sound similar to the XB700 at all? If they do, I might consider getting the XB700 instead since I won't get the most out of the DT770 pro 80s for a while due to lack of proper amp.

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #189 of 1,845
They sound nothing alike, and the XB700s need better amping than the Pro 80s.  The XB700s sound god awful without a high current amp.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #190 of 1,845
Zombie X,

My gratitude extends your way for a fine thread.  I have had my mind and ears set on a more thorough experience with Beyers as a result of an encounter at a meet in Seattle.  The growing meet community there has a pretty diverse group of HPs to sample and I made my tryst with a pair of Manufaktur 990s, though not sure which Ohm version it was...the bass pretty much widened my pupils and got me to hankering for something with more gonads down in the nether regions.  I might have also sampled a 770, though I can't recall much as the day was a blur of cans and amps, but the 990 stood out that day, along with the Audeze LCD-2 and Smeggy's Thunderpants.

After perusing this thread and the headphone ranking thread started by David Mahler, I noted that this thread lacks any mention of the model years 2003 and 2005 for the DT 880 or any mention of whether the sampling covered a Pro version or a Manufaktur version. I also assume that only a few resellers have the model years in stock and Beyer itself does not.  I additionally assume there is a difference between DT880 models built in 2005 and the ones now being sold fresh off the assembly line.

Thoughts on the matter, good sirs, all? 

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #191 of 1,845

Quote:
They sound nothing alike, and the XB700s need better amping than the Pro 80s.  The XB700s sound god awful without a high current amp.

Oh wow. Ok never mind then lol. The reason why I asked was because I heard the XB700's bass was more focused on deep bass and less on mid and high. The DT770 pro's bass had excellent bass extension, but not that much mid and high bass. Just out of curiosity, how DO the XB700s sound compared to the DT770 80s?

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #192 of 1,845
I think the XB-700's sound fine without a amp, but a nice hybrid of high current one will improve their bass. 

Quote:
Oh wow. Ok never mind then lol. The reason why I asked was because I heard the XB700's bass was more focused on deep bass and less on mid and high. The DT770 pro's bass had excellent bass extension, but not that much mid and high bass. Just out of curiosity, how DO the XB700s sound compared to the DT770 80s?

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #194 of 1,845
I have only heard the recent models as well as the Revox 3100. The Revox 3100 is a vintage 600Ohm DT880 from the '80s. To me it sound warmer than the current models.

Quote:
Zombie X,

My post regarding the model years for the Beyer DTs was partially directed to you and I hope you might be able to reply.

Thanks. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #195 of 1,845
Quote:

The XB700s focus on the very deepest bass and don't have a whole lot of of upper bass impact or slam.  Certainly more than neutral 'phones, but not anymore slam than the 80 Pros.  The XB700s rumble like an earthquake while the Pro 80s hit like a punch.

The XB700s also have much better mids than the Pro 80s to my ears.  They are a bit recessed but are even and have a very good tone, sort of like baby HD650s.  The Pro 80 has dryer mids with a more unnatural tone and a suck-out where the mids and treble meet that makes female singers sound like they are out of breath, in another room, or both, but are more detailed overall.  The XB700s highs are bit smoother, with a bit of sparkle that the Pro 80s don't have, though once again the Pro 80s are more detailed.

The XB700s also have a very wide soundstage, although there isn't much depth to it.  The Pro 80s easily best the XB700s in depth of soundstage and imaging as well.

The Pro 80s will sound fine straight out of a DAP, provided it has the voltage to get you to your desired volume.  Quality will improve with an amp, but it isn't nearly as sensitive to amping as the XB700s.  If you're listening to relatively uncomplicated music with few instruments or voices such as simpler trance or techno, or even a small jazz combo, the the XB700s will do ok unapmed.  As the mix gets more complicated, thing go straight to hell without a high current amp.  Everything becomes muddled with the bass breaking up the mids, the soundstage collapses, and the highs become very shrill.

A good budget amp for the XB700s might be the LD I+.  I tried my XB700s on it at a meet and they sounded better than they do on any of my current amps. I've mostly been using my XB700s for playing old school video games with relatively few voices available on the synth, and they do well for that straight out of my DSi XL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back