Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Mar 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #361 of 2,110
the immediate difference for me is the separation and air between instruments/vocals. only time will tell if I decide to axe one of them or keep them both. The Rs2 might be more aggressive and maybe more intimate(?) which I absolutely love about them.

On another note, I'd be interested to know what(if anything) you guys use on your wooden cups. Polish, wax?

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #362 of 2,110
What I have noticed about the RS2i vs. my other headphones, PS500/HD600/650 is that they have a slightly longer decay in the upper treble, cymbal crash etc. and maybe further down as well. It probably adds to a more aggressive sound, if we put it this way, and can be suitable for some music and other type of music to a lesser extend. It gives the feel of some enhanced dynamics where there's a crescendo going from softer passages towards louder passages in a given track, but it may be presented  on a behalf of something else. Detail...

I use some Weiman, natural lemon oil, furniture polish, gives them a pleasant scent as well :)

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #363 of 2,110
I still had my LCD2's when I got my Rs2's so I used the wood treatment that came with the LCD2's and worked great!...btw, yes, I sold the LCD2 because the Rs2(for me) kicked it's *****, so i no longer have that wood treatment stuff.

...I just found this product and it looks great for what I need.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #365 of 2,110
ive heard several rs2 on different occasions, for some reason, i found them extremely harsh, almost unlistenable, but i really liked my 325 and loved my rs1i, though the rs2 are supposed to have a similar sound to the rs1, but i didnt find that to be the case. weird huh?

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #367 of 2,110
ive heard several rs2 on different occasions, for some reason, i found them extremely harsh, almost unlistenable, but i really liked my 325 and loved my rs1i, though the rs2 are supposed to have a similar sound to the rs1, but i didnt find that to be the case. weird huh?

I also have and love a set of 325's! How would you describe the harshness in the rs2 vs the rs1? Also, what kind of test music was used?

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #368 of 2,110
Hi guys,

Anybody knows how is SR225i compared to RS1i ? I kidna fall in love with SR225i with tape mode. Is RS1i so better that SR225i that it's worth paying more than twice the price ?

Thanks for opinion.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #369 of 2,110
Quote:
What I have noticed about the RS2i vs. my other headphones, PS500/HD600/650 is that they have a slightly longer decay in the upper treble, cymbal crash etc. and maybe further down as well. It probably adds to a more aggressive sound, if we put it this way, and can be suitable for some music and other type of music to a lesser extend. It gives the feel of some enhanced dynamics where there's a crescendo going from softer passages towards louder passages in a given track, but it may be presented  on a behalf of something else. Detail...

yeah what he said^^

All I know is that the Rs1 is NOT making me pick up my air guitar or air drums like the RS2!
size]

Much like the V5 Magnums, the Rs1's are "Technically Better" than the Rs2's, but I still prefer how the Rs2 present the music to me. Up until now, of all the headphones I've tried, only the Rs2 makes me get up and walk around /air guitar/dance like a fool/head bang, etc., etc.
I'm starting to hate Grado for making me like their damned headphones so much, they are all seemingly very similar to each other and one could pick one and be happy with it. My mistake was thinking if I buy Rs1, Rs2, PS500 and try them out for myself, I'll just pick out the one that speaks to me the most, and sell the others...WRONG! So far, I've only got the first two and I already wanna keep 'em both. Heck, I can't even go through with selling my Sr125's!
Damn you Grado!!!**shakes fist at the sky**

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #371 of 2,110
Quote:
I also have and love a set of 325's! How would you describe the harshness in the rs2 vs the rs1? Also, what kind of test music was used?

lol i dunno, the rs2's ive found where unlistenable. this was at 2 different audio stores, both using audiophile test cds (classical music, diana krall, alison krauss, stuff like that) . one time it was off some mid-fi receiver, other time is was out of a lehmann bcl. i dunno if it was just my ears at the time or if the RS2 i've heard both times where defective, but they where just really bright and unlistenable. maybe some grados just aren't good. i had a semi-vintage grado rs1 before and i found it unlistenable as well (bright with bowls, shouty/boomy mids with flats), maybe its just some of the older grados, i'm not sure. now that i think of it, they might of been rs2 and not rs2i, who knows

anyways the rs1i is much nicer, smoother and fuller sounding than 325, otherwise, same grado sound. i enjoyed my 325s alot, extremely detailed headphones really clear sounding. a little bright at times, but definitely where some of my favorite (i sold both the RS1i and 325i cause the T1 outperformed both, even in rock music). 

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #372 of 2,110
Thanks for the feedback on the RS series, and the T1 as well. I wish I could afford the T1 cans, maybe if I wish hard enough, Santa will deliver. Would probably want to have a dedicated amp too, since all my current cans are low impedance (~32 to 40 ohm).

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #373 of 2,110
Thinking about grabbing a Little Dot I+ amp....so I can take my RS1i's in the living room and make a little listening station in there.

Anyone else using this combo and have any advice for what tubes to get....also where is the best place to order this amp?

Any suggestions of anything else I would need for my listening station.....open to ideas.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #375 of 2,110
Quote:
Hi there, can you please comment on why would i chose rs1 from ps500 as an upgrade to my sr80i. New to headfi with 5months of use with my 80i. comments are much appreciated.

If you prefer a slight bit more detail and resolution - though, it's hard to choose which one I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back