Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Feb 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #331 of 2,110
Quote:
New here; lurked and read but just joined a few days ago.

Just picked up the RS1i tonight for a good price new; listening to them now (ipod through an Alo National). Mainly jazz (Metheny trio type). Feeling the pain, because I just got a pair of SR225-I a few weeks ago.

I also listened to the PS500 and RS2-I tonight, and these made the cut. I'm going back and forth between the RS1i and 225i trying to justify this crazy spending (to me it's big deal. ha). I could be happy with just either, but it's nice to have both!

Airy and excellent clarity, but not harsh at all- my impressions of the RS1i so far. The SR225i is more more "immediate", the RS1i has better separation of the instruments, I think. I lack the proper vocabulary to describe it properly. All I know is that it puts a smile on my face.

I have just recently bought the RS1i also.....they put the same smile on my face......listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd as I type.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #332 of 2,110
Quote:
New here; lurked and read but just joined a few days ago.

Just picked up the RS1i tonight for a good price new; listening to them now (ipod through an Alo National). Mainly jazz (Metheny trio type). Feeling the pain, because I just got a pair of SR225-I a few weeks ago.

I also listened to the PS500 and RS2-I tonight, and these made the cut. I'm going back and forth between the RS1i and 225i trying to justify this crazy spending (to me it's big deal. ha). I could be happy with just either, but it's nice to have both!

Airy and excellent clarity, but not harsh at all- my impressions of the RS1i so far. The SR225i is more more "immediate", the RS1i has better separation of the instruments, I think. I lack the proper vocabulary to describe it properly. All I know is that it puts a smile on my face.

I'm glad you like your RS1is, and about the fact that it's ''crazy spending'', just tell yourself that they're are a lot worst ways to spend money
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #333 of 2,110
No, Grado design is very similar to the CMOY.

The O2 design is quite different and more sophisticated.

I don't see this discussion going anywhere productive, so I'm going to leave it alone.

I'm not going to try and say one sounds better. The best one is the one you like.

Aye, and I'm not trying to make that argument either. Again, the thing is quite expensive for what it is ($425 is a lot for what the thing does). I think we're in agreement on the rest. :xf_eek:

OK....I am going to take that like they are basically going to sound like they do coming from my Asus Essence soundcard....thanks again.

That is enough to keep me from buying an expensive amp in the future.

That's basically my take on it - of course there's folks who will disagree, and I'm not saying dismiss them (I have a broader issue with the whole "proselytizing" aspect of audio); I just don't see it as being worth spending substantially more money than you have in this case (and remember that the Xonar carries a competent headphone amplifier). If you're really up for spending many hundreds (let alone many thousands), an IA is a better value proposition imho - and it will also give you the added flexibility of speakers as an option down the road (which is a whole 'nother discussion).

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #335 of 2,110
I've just had my Graham Slee Solo upgraded to the Ultra Linear spec and it's superb with my PS500's. I see no reason why it shouldn't be equally superb with the RS1.

Hey, thanks for the feedback!
Cheers!

I don't see this discussion going anywhere productive, so I'm going to leave it alone.
Aye, and I'm not trying to make that argument either. Again, the thing is quite expensive for what it is ($425 is a lot for what the thing does). I think we're in agreement on the rest. :xf_eek:
That's basically my take on it - of course there's folks who will disagree, and I'm not saying dismiss them (I have a broader issue with the whole "proselytizing" aspect of audio); I just don't see it as being worth spending substantially more money than you have in this case (and remember that the Xonar carries a competent headphone amplifier). If you're really up for spending many hundreds (let alone many thousands), an IA is a better value proposition imho - and it will also give you the added flexibility of speakers as an option down the road (which is a whole 'nother discussion).

Oh, man!
I agree!
This discussion can't go anywhere but downhill. Fast!

Closing thoughts:
the Grado headphone amplifier does seem to have much much better input coupling caps than the average CMOY. And I'm not a big fan of the CMOY's case styling! LOL!
And if a Grado Headphone owner likes his phones with the Grado headphone amp, who am I to argue?
There is probably someone who thinks I'm an idiot for using a $300 tube amp with $100 in NOS tubes because tubes......well! They have sooooo much distortion!

Cheers,
CJ

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #336 of 2,110
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the feedback!
Cheers!
Oh, man!
I agree!
This discussion can't go anywhere but downhill. Fast!

Closing thoughts:
the Grado headphone amplifier does seem to have much much better input coupling caps than the average CMOY. And I'm not a big fan of the CMOY's case styling! LOL!
And if a Grado Headphone owner likes his phones with the Grado headphone amp, who am I to argue?
There is probably someone who thinks I'm an idiot for using a $300 tube amp with $100 in NOS tubes because tubes......well! They have sooooo much distortion!

Cheers,
CJ

I'm just a lowly 225i owner, but some of my wall of doom base heavy psychedelic, stoner metal is supposed to sound distorted. Sorry, I couldn't resist-being a fan of low and slow guitar fuzzzzzzzz :)

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #338 of 2,110
Quote:
Hah! So true though...

Not everything is meant to sound "polite" or "perfect"
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly! In fact, part of the reason I bought my Grados was to maximize some of the very impolite, aggressive music that I think sounds so darn good from these cans. The kind of stuff my wife will say, "how can you call that music.....put your $200 headphones on!"

Maybe, now I need $700 headphones.

I understand the RS1 is more "refined"......I do wonder if I would hear a $500 difference?

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #339 of 2,110
Quote:
Exactly! In fact, part of the reason I bought my Grados was to maximize some of the very impolite, aggressive music that I think sounds so darn good from these cans. The kind of stuff my wife will say, "how can you call that music.....put your $200 headphones on!"

Maybe, now I need $700 headphones.

I understand the RS1 is more "refined"......I do wonder if I would hear a $500 difference?

I just went from a 325i to an RS1i.....I love my 325i, but has decided to sell them, just because I can not see them getting much use.

Only you can decide if they are worth the extra cash.

The RS1i is more defined than the 325i....but it is not like it is twice as good....that being said, i cant take them off.....I only listen to rock by the way.....AC/DC....Aerosmith.....Petty.....Pink floyd....Zeppelin......that kind of stuff.....the RS1i is quit nice.

I would actually like to keep my 325i, as i love them, I just cant justify keeping them and not using them much....If i sell them, then the upgrade only cost me about $275 ....yeah, I bought a used pair of RS1i's

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #340 of 2,110
Hey guys.  Sorry for the late post about amps that go well with the RS1i.  Been busy with work and life and haven't read this thread in about a week.

I bought my RS1i in October.  I love the sound.  Everyone on here knows what I'm talking about so I'll skip that part.  Before that I was using AKG K702 for over the ear at home, and was using TF10 and SE530 IEM at work.  Since the RS1i, I listen to them at home and work.  Travel with me everywhere I take my backpack.

For my listening experience, I am 100% portable.  (Or really transportable.)  I listen to all kinds of rock, classic rock, 80s style metal, and blues.  

Neco V3:  When I bought the Grados I purchased a Neco Soundlabs portable v3 at the same time.  It is a great amp, but I don't feel like this one pairs very well with the RS1i.  I found myself turning the amp up to some extremely loud volumes to hit the sweet spot.  (And that scared me quite a bit.)  It sounded very good and forward, but lacked the soundstage that I was hoping to find.  Someone at a local meet described the V3 as a linear soundstage, and I felt that summed it up perfectely.  No real depth with that combo.  (But on a side note for the Neco V3.  I spent a few minutes with an HD800 and the Neco.  I think that would be a great pairing and I want to check that out more in the future to see if I'm right.)

RSA Intruder:  Since I was looking for better soundstage, I picked up an RSA Intruder DAC/AMP a few weeks ago.  I have over 100 hours on it, and I feel like it is a great combination.  The bass is deep, the soundage is wide and deep.  And it really makes the Grados sound like I want them to sound.  Transparency is wonderful.  At the moment, this would be my 5star suggestion is you want a really good portable amp to pair with the RS1i.  I call it an "unintentional smile maker!"  I find myself listening to something and I will get some bass impact or hear something in the front left sound stage and it will just make me unintentionally smile.

Arrow 2.2G:  I also have a Headstage arrow 2.2G.  (2.2G is before the bass changes of the 3G, but after he fixed the impedance output to pair with the UE TF10s of the 2G.)  I haven't put a lot of time on that amp with the RS1i, but what time I have put on it sounds decent.  It has decent soundstage.  But I just haven't put the time on it that I spent on the other two.

SR71B:  During the recent Charlotte meet, I spent a lot of the day with the RSA SR71-B and the Grados.  That was what made me jump on the RSA Intruder purchase.  So you can basically substitute those impressions here.

That is pretty much it for my amp experience.  Hope it helps.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #341 of 2,110
Quote:
I just went from a 325i to an RS1i.....I love my 325i, but has decided to sell them, just because I can not see them getting much use.

Only you can decide if they are worth the extra cash.

The RS1i is more defined than the 325i....but it is not like it is twice as good....that being said, i cant take them off.....I only listen to rock by the way.....AC/DC....Aerosmith.....Petty.....Pink floyd....Zeppelin......that kind of stuff.....the RS1i is quit nice.

I would actually like to keep my 325i, as i love them, I just cant justify keeping them and not using them much....If i sell them, then the upgrade only cost me about $275 ....yeah, I bought a used pair of RS1i's

Thanks for that....I have similar tates....

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #343 of 2,110
Grado RS1's are for sale with the buttons along with the Grado RA1 High Gain Headphone Amp. Owner says he turned the headphone amplifier on while headphones were plugged in, always hears loud a DC popping noise. He says he simply left the headphones off before powering to avoid hurting his ears. The question is, did this guy compromise the RS1's drivers by subjecting them to DC distortion every time he powered the RA1 HG amplifier? 

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #344 of 2,110
Quote:
Grado RS1's are for sale with the buttons along with the Grado RA1 High Gain Headphone Amp. Owner says he turned the headphone amplifier on while headphones were plugged in, always hears loud a DC popping noise. He says he simply left the headphones off before powering to avoid hurting his ears. The question is, did this guy compromise the RS1's drivers by subjecting them to DC distortion every time he powered the RA1 HG amplifier? 

No he didn't. They RA1 was designed with the "pop". John Grado has said they looked into eliminating it but compromised the sound with the components they put in the amp to eliminate it. Remember Gain does not equal power. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #345 of 2,110
Thanks for that clarification. I just wrote Grado regarding the "pop" and John wrote back saying, "I would always recommend that the headphones be connected or disconnected while there is no signal present and if there is a DC  offset "pop" that occurs, all the more reason to be careful. Those "pops" after a while will compromise the life of the driver."  Ultimately I passed on the RS1 offer. Those set of cans with the buttons are sweet. I just placed an order for the RS1i's and should be getting them tomorrow. Now all I have to do is purchase a nice little headphone amplifier to complete the package. I wrote to Maple Tree Audio and talked to the good Doctor there and am inches away from placing an order for the Mad Ear +. Lloyd Peppard suggested the DACT stepped attenuator but I still think the ALPS offers a great bang for the buck. Suggestions are always welcomed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back