Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Mar 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #346 of 2,110
Quote:
No he didn't. They RA1 was designed with the "pop". John Grado has said they looked into eliminating it but compromised the sound with the components they put in the amp to eliminate it. Remember Gain does not equal power. 

Thanks for that clarification. I just wrote Grado regarding the "pop" and John wrote back saying, "I would always recommend that the headphones be connected or disconnected while there is no signal present and if there is a DC  offset "pop" that occurs, all the more reason to be careful. Those "pops" after a while will compromise the life of the driver."  Ultimately I passed on the RS1 offer. Those set of cans with the buttons are sweet. I just placed an order for the RS1i's and should be getting them tomorrow. Now all I have to do is purchase a nice little headphone amplifier to complete the package. I wrote to Maple Tree Audio and talked to the good Doctor there and am inches away from placing an order for the Mad Ear +. Lloyd Peppard suggested the DACT stepped attenuator but I still think the ALPS offers a great bang for the buck. Suggestions are always welcomed...

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #347 of 2,110
Quote:
Thanks for that clarification. I just wrote Grado regarding the "pop" and John wrote back saying, "I would always recommend that the headphones be connected or disconnected while there is no signal present and if there is a DC  offset "pop" that occurs, all the more reason to be careful. Those "pops" after a while will compromise the life of the driver."  Ultimately I passed on the RS1 offer. Those set of cans with the buttons are sweet. I just placed an order for the RS1i's and should be getting them tomorrow. Now all I have to do is purchase a nice little headphone amplifier to complete the package. I wrote to Maple Tree Audio and talked to the good Doctor there and am inches away from placing an order for the Mad Ear +. Lloyd Peppard suggested the DACT stepped attenuator but I still think the ALPS offers a great bang for the buck. Suggestions are always welcomed...

The MAD Ear+HD smokes the RA-1. Great choice for the RS1s!

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #348 of 2,110
Quote:
The MAD Ear+HD smokes the RA-1. Great choice for the RS1s!

That settles it, I'll be placing the order first thing. All that's left now is to wait. I didn't see the option to place orders for the kit so I am assuming that a factory built version is the only offering now though I may be mistaken. Maybe I can pick up a PA2V2 for a song over at electric-avenues.com to hold me over til the beast arrives. All of this is exciting to finally hear some music. I've been living and working in Brazil for the past ten years away from high end audio. It's good to be back...

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #349 of 2,110
Quote:
That settles it, I'll be placing the order first thing. All that's left now is to wait. I didn't see the option to place orders for the kit so I am assuming that a factory built version is the only offering now though I may be mistaken. Maybe I can pick up a PA2V2 for a song over at electric-avenues.com to hold me over til the beast arrives. All of this is exciting to finally hear some music. I've been living and working in Brazil for the past ten years away from high end audio. It's good to be back...

The PA2V2 is a warm amp and a great match for Grados too. Good choice as a short term selection. I'd just shoot Lloyd an email about the Mad Ear+HD. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #350 of 2,110
Grado RS1's are for sale with the buttons along with the Grado RA1 High Gain Headphone Amp. Owner says he turned the headphone amplifier on while headphones were plugged in, always hears loud a DC popping noise. He says he simply left the headphones off before powering to avoid hurting his ears. The question is, did this guy compromise the RS1's drivers by subjecting them to DC distortion every time he powered the RA1 HG amplifier? 

I always turn a headphone amp ON, then plug in 'phones.

I always unplug 'phones, then thurn the amp OFF.

you're not doing your 'phones any favour by subjecting it to the DC pulse you get from turning some headphone amps ON or OFF.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #351 of 2,110
I just always leave my phones plugged into my Asus Essence ST.

should I be unplugging them?

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #352 of 2,110
Quote:
I just always leave my phones plugged into my Asus Essence ST.

should I be unplugging them?

I always plug and unplug as a "good habit", as "good practice".

The main thing is, turn the amp ON with the 'phones plugged in and on your head, do you hear a loud pop or any other odd noises?
Turn the amp OFF with the 'phones plugged in and on yer head, again, do you hear a loud pop or any other weird sounds?

If I don't do this with my various amps, with some, nothing happens, but with some, maybe a pop or a bzzt, so I always follow "good practice".
I once observed Jack Woo at an audio show always turning down the volume before he unplugged a 'phone and plugged another one into his tube amps. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #353 of 2,110
Quote:

I always plug and unplug as a "good habit", as "good practice".

The main thing is, turn the amp ON with the 'phones plugged in and on your head, do you hear a loud pop or any other odd noises?
Turn the amp OFF with the 'phones plugged in and on yer head, again, do you hear a loud pop or any other weird sounds?

If I don't do this with my various amps, with some, nothing happens, but with some, maybe a pop or a bzzt, so I always follow "good practice".
I once observed Jack Woo at an audio show always turning down the volume before he unplugged a 'phone and plugged another one into his tube amps. 

Thanks for the info....I am not sure about pops or buzzing sounds as I usually boot my pc up before I put my phones on.

I will monitor the situation a little from now on.....I just had to reach around the back of my tower and unplug my phones every time...but I will if it is needed.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #354 of 2,110
Given the RS-1s come with an extension cable, you could always run that from the PC to save having to plug/unplug from the card itself. :xf_eek:

I do, however, vaguely remember reading that some of the Xonar cards come with relay protection - do you know if yours does? (e.g. is it mentioned anywhere in the manual, or does it click when it goes on/off) If the device is relay protected, you can generally assume that will protect the load (this is how a lot of receivers' headphone jacks are set-up), but plug/unplug would still be a fine option.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #355 of 2,110
Quote:
Given the RS-1s come with an extension cable, you could always run that from the PC to save having to plug/unplug from the card itself.
redface.gif

I do, however, vaguely remember reading that some of the Xonar cards come with relay protection - do you know if yours does? (e.g. is it mentioned anywhere in the manual, or does it click when it goes on/off) If the device is relay protected, you can generally assume that will protect the load (this is how a lot of receivers' headphone jacks are set-up), but plug/unplug would still be a fine option.

That is a great idea about the extension cable....I will just unplug from that and I will not have to worry.....thanks!

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #356 of 2,110
Quote:
The PA2V2 is a warm amp and a great match for Grados too. Good choice as a short term selection. I'd just shoot Lloyd an email about the Mad Ear+HD. 

I am very excited, my Grado RS1i headphones arrived today in the mail. They appear smaller in person, "cute little buggers and beautifully made!" While delicately removing them from the foam inlays in the cardboard pizza box, I couldn't help but feel a sense of concern as they appeared fragile but well made. They are a work of art! I am waiting now for the headphone amplifiers to arrive. All I have is an old NAD 1300 preamplifier with a phono jack to listen through at the moment. Since they are Grado's it should be no problem hearing the music even if the electronics aren't state of the art.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #357 of 2,110
Quote:
I am very excited, my Grado RS1i headphones arrived today in the mail. They appear smaller in person, "cute little buggers and beautifully made!" While delicately removing them from the foam inlays in the cardboard pizza box, I couldn't help but feel a sense of concern as they appeared fragile but well made. They are a work of art! I am waiting now for the headphone amplifiers to arrive. All I have is an old NAD 1300 preamplifier with a phono jack to listen through at the moment. Since they are Grado's it should be no problem hearing the music even if the electronics aren't state of the art.

Cool beans! I love mine. They do feel a little fragile, but well made for sure. Hope you enjoy yours.

wemedge

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #359 of 2,110
Hey guys, I just received my Rs1i's Rs1's yesterday, I can definitely say that the extra $200 I payed for these over my Rs2's are worth it. I haven't done a side by side comparison, but as soon as I put these on I could tell right away that these are definitely in another league compared to the Rs2's I have. With that said, the Rs2's are FANTASTIC and really highly enjoyable cans, but the Rs1's are something else!

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #360 of 2,110
@Wormsdriver.  Glad to hear that you enjoy your newly acquired  RS1i, but you're not really helping me at all since I was so pleased with my RS2i.. Just kidding, enjoy :)

Curious to hear more about the difference between these two units, in a few days..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back