Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Oct 16, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #1,533 of 2,110
Don't keep us waiting too long haha! 

It can't be seen much on camera. But if you look very closely, xlr8's description is spot on. In any case, here:

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,535 of 2,110
Here are better shots: these drivers are definitely not just white drivers. The real meat of the drivers is pinkish:

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,536 of 2,110
The 2nd to the last picture above and these ones below you can see the "red" dot (not even pinkish, it's bloody red) at approx 10 and 4 o'clock. The diaphragm circling the driver inside is pinkish, but there's clearly red color dots in there. These red dots are not obvious if you look at far side, but obvious at ear side when you try looking opposite a bright light or clear sky.

I'm thinking, is it possible that Grado used an "e" driver in here but the red color is painted black on the outside or far side?

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,537 of 2,110
The 2nd to the last picture above and these ones below you can see the "red" dot (not even pinkish, it's bloody red) at approx 10 and 4 o'clock. The diaphragm circling the driver inside is pinkish, but there's clearly red color dots in there. These red dots are not obvious if you look at far side, but obvious at ear side when you try looking opposite a bright light or clear sky.

I'm thinking, is it possible that Grado used an "e" driver in here but the red color is painted black on the outside or far side?

They look like stock RS1is to me ... Do you know how old they are?

The two red dots - are they not just the copper voice coil showing through the two holes in the magnet plate?

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #1,538 of 2,110
They look like stock RS1is to me ... Do you know how old they are?

The two red dots - are they not just the copper voice coil showing through the two holes in the magnet plate?
It's hard for me to tell from the pics if these hp's have the "e" series drivers in them or not.

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #1,540 of 2,110
"e" series drivers are bigger than the previous versions, that's why they stick out from the wooden housing. I'd say these are the regular Rs1i. Unless they have the thinner, longer cable, then they would be the early Rs1"i" version.

+1

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,541 of 2,110
"e" series drivers are bigger than the previous versions, that's why they stick out from the wooden housing. I'd say these are the regular Rs1i. Unless they have the thinner, longer cable, then they would be the early Rs1"i" version.

How thin is the cable of early RS1"i" and how long? By comparison to SR325is? Thinner and longer than SR325is?

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,542 of 2,110
How thin is the cable of early RS1"i" and how long? By comparison to SR325is? Thinner and longer than SR325is?

The RS1i has the same cable as the SR325is

The RS1 (non-i version, but without the buttons) has a cable that is noticeably thinner and longer - 2m from Y-split to plug. (Its looks the same as the cables on the SR60 / SR80 models, but it has a 6.3mm plug)

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,543 of 2,110
The RS1i has the same cable as the SR325is

The RS1 (non-i version, but without the buttons) has a cable that is noticeably thinner and longer - 2m from Y-split to plug. (Its looks the same as the cables on the SR60 / SR80 models, but it has a 6.3mm plug)

Thanks. I thought my RS1i's cable is longer, but turns out they're the same with my SR325is (they're not together, one is in the office).

I feel like something is missing in my RS1i's sound compared to my SR325is. What is it? The mid-bass? I think the RS1i's cup shape (opens straight out) vs the SR325is' (closes out a bit towards the end/far side) may have contributed to this (in addition of course to the wooded out effect)?

I'm also thinking, if this is true, this may be the main advantage of the GS and PS Grados over the RS?

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,544 of 2,110
Just my two cents diamondears, but when I tried the RS1i a while back, I thought that that the sound lacked air and decay, I realise that I'm used to having plenty of both with my GS/PS/, and HP1000, but even with my SR80i, and my Bushmills, I never feel short changed in that area.

By the way, have you tried swapping the pads?.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #1,545 of 2,110
Just my two cents diamondears, but when I tried the RS1i a while back, I thought that that the sound lacked air and decay, I realise that I'm used to having plenty of both with my GS/PS/, and HP1000, but even with my SR80i, and my Bushmills, I never feel short changed in that area.

By the way, have you tried swapping the pads?.

Yeah, air and decay is an appropriate description. I think it's due to lack of or less resonance due to the cup design and material.

Yes, but only in a shop. I find the G-cushion just creates bit more bass and/or less treble, and I don't find any need for more bass on my SE325is and RS1i, nor do I like less treble. If I want more bass I'll just use bass boost. Soundstage I find it increases slightly, but honestly I think it's just due to the driver getting farther from my ears and having more "echo" effect due to bigger and more sealed bowl. So there, more bass and soundstage, in a nutshell, at least to my ears. Again, I'm very particular in "sealing" the pads on my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back