Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Oct 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #1,546 of 2,110
Yeah, air and decay is an appropriate description. I think it's due to lack of or less resonance due to the cup design and material.

Yes, but only in a shop. I find the G-cushion just creates bit more bass and/or less treble, and I don't find any need for more bass on my SE325is and RS1i, nor do I like less treble. If I want more bass I'll just use bass boost. Soundstage I find it increases slightly, but honestly I think it's just due to the driver getting farther from my ears and having more "echo" effect due to bigger and more sealed bowl. So there, more bass and soundstage, in a nutshell, at least to my ears. Again, I'm very particular in "sealing" the pads on my ears.

Why not get something like what I got? MS2i with G-cush pads... They deliver decent base, comfort, and all around larger soundstage, without the brightness of the SR325.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,547 of 2,110
Why not get something like what I got? MS2i with G-cush pads... They deliver decent base, comfort, and all around larger soundstage, without the brightness of the SR325.

I actually like SR325is' what you call "brightness". For me it's just more "resolution", more detail. For me it only becomes bright with not good recordings.

I'm with the camp of using the stock pads. I think each Grado model sounds best with its stock pads. I think the drivers are specifically ear-tuned with the stock pads. I like what the manufacturer throws at us. I think what they throw is the best option.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,548 of 2,110
I actually like SR325is' what you call "brightness". For me it's just more "resolution", more detail. For me it only becomes bright with not good recordings.

I'm with the camp of using the stock pads. I think each Grado model sounds best with its stock pads. I think the drivers are specifically ear-tuned with the stock pads. I like what the manufacturer throws at us. I think what they throw is the best option.

I guess I speak for everyone in this group when I say that choice of audio is subjective based on preference. Try them out, swap the pads just to get a feel for the way the sound changes. :)

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,549 of 2,110
I guess I speak for everyone in this group when I say that choice of audio is subjective based on preference. Try them out, swap the pads just to get a feel for the way the sound changes. :)

Yes, planning to get a G-cushion. Sounds interesting, actually. But for my current Grados, swapping S to L cushions and vice-versa didn't improve the sound for me. G-cush may be different though when owned and listened for longer listens.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,551 of 2,110
Yes, planning to get a G-cushion. Sounds interesting, actually. But for my current Grados, swapping S to L cushions and vice-versa didn't improve the sound for me. G-cush may be different though when owned and listened for longer listens.

We are talking about the 325's, correct?
If so, what improvements are you looking for…just curious about what your not happy with. 
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,552 of 2,110
If I owned the SR325, I'd be very tempted to try the TTVJ flats, hoping to get deeper bass, and a bit smoother treble.

And if I owned the PS500, I'd try the G-cushs, to try and get the opposite results.

Although, from what I have read, it doesn't seem not that simple.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #1,553 of 2,110
We are talking about the 325's, correct?
If so, what improvements are you looking for…just curious about what your not happy with. :wink:

Ha...nothing really...as I said I love what the manufacturer throws at us...and I have both RS1i and SR325is and it always doesn't take me an instant to decide which I will use...:D...I like both as they are...no surgeries needed...:D

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #1,554 of 2,110
But as others suggest, I guess there's no harm in experimenting. At least I'll already have a reserve cushion for my future PS1000e!

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #1,555 of 2,110
diamondears, looking at your headphone collection, you might prefer the regular PS1000, to the new e serie, just saying

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,556 of 2,110
diamondears, looking at your headphone collection, you might prefer the regular PS1000, to the new e serie, just saying
Care to explain, stacker45? PS1000e with more treble?

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,557 of 2,110

I am pretty interested as well in knowing where the supposed preference comes from :). I am also wondering whether the original PS1000 is a good purchase for me rather than the "e".

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #1,558 of 2,110
Boy is it ever quiet here... Anyone have anything to say about the RS1? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back