Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Oct 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #526 of 1,221
I think it's RS-1i, guessing from screenshot.

I have not gotten any response from TTVJ (Think they are already gone to Denver 
evil_smiley.gif
 ). Anyone in America has gotten PS500?

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #529 of 1,221

Quote:
definitely, the old vintage button RS1 is slightly warmer than the HF2 

Unless we have totally different definitions of "warm", the HF2s are the warmest Grado's I've heard (quite a bit warmer than the RS1/RS1 buttonless and RS1i). In fact, I found the RS1i warmer than the RS1 vintage.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #530 of 1,221
It depends on what you mean by warm I guess.  Grados can be confusing in this way because they have a warmly colored midrange while being really bright.  I don't consider them warm because of this brightness in the upper mids/treble.  So I'm with Macedonian and consider the HF2 "warmer". 

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #531 of 1,221

Quote:
definitely, the old vintage button RS1 is slightly warmer than the HF2

Semi-vintage button RS1 version that purrin has were not warmer than HF2 to me a couple of weekends ago...they were pretty similar to the non-button version of RS1i that I was comparing to.  

I have the HF2 definitely warmer still with flats on right now...comparing to RS1i while posting this.

EDIT:  RS1 are on loan, may be the "non-i" version as the cables are not thick...

EDIT #2 10/13/11: RS1 non-i version is what I am borrowing!

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #534 of 1,221

Quote:
Unless we have totally different definitions of "warm", the HF2s are the warmest Grado's I've heard (quite a bit warmer than the RS1/RS1 buttonless and RS1i). In fact, I found the RS1i warmer than the RS1 vintage.

Didn't hear RS1, but I also perceived HF-2 to be warmer then my RS1i. Very different sound sigs, both having their advantages and disadvantages

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #536 of 1,221

Quote:
I talked to an authorized dealer in China a month ago, he told me they will cost 3980RMB, which is merely 650USD. If he don't change his mind, this would be an incredible deal.

Incredible? Are you kidding? So, it's merely overpriced instead of extremely overpriced. All of Grado's headphones except the SR-60 (heard them all) are extremely overpriced compared to headphones with similar sound quality. For example the RS-1 at $700 is not quite as good as the HD-600 and K-701 at $300. OK, I've never heard the PS500, but how can it be anything except a rehash of their existing drivers and housings? IMO Grado is one of the most horribly managed companies I've ever seen. They have far too many products, none of which (except the SR-60) is better than it's competitors, all much more expensive than the competition, absolutely zero innovation, horrible quality, and the most dirt-cheap production facilities. And they are twice as expensive in Europe. I cannot imagine why anybody buys a new Grado headphone. Really - anybody who does, please tell me why. It seems as if John Grado is constantly trying to see just how gullible headphone buyers are, but they never get it.

edit - I actually like some Grado headphones a lot. I've owned 3 of them. Just think every decision the Grado company makes is an insult to its customers, and they do absolutely nothing to advance headphone technology. Their good headphones were all made several years ago. Now they are like Taco Bell - put together the same ingredients in a slightly different way and call it a new menu item.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #537 of 1,221

come on man, its  got a new wire and earth minerals.
Quote:

Incredible? Are you kidding? So, it's merely overpriced instead of extremely overpriced. All of Grado's headphones except the SR-60 (heard them all) are extremely overpriced compared to headphones with similar sound quality. For example the RS-1 at $700 is not quite as good as the HD-600 and K-701 at $300. OK, I've never heard the PS500, but how can it be anything except a rehash of their existing drivers and housings? IMO Grado is one of the most horribly managed companies I've ever seen. They have far too many products, none of which (except the SR-60) is better than it's competitors, all much more expensive than the competition, absolutely zero innovation, horrible quality, and the most dirt-cheap production facilities. And they are twice as expensive in Europe. I cannot imagine why anybody buys a new Grado headphone. Really - anybody who does, please tell me why. It seems as if John Grado is constantly trying to see just how gullible headphone buyers are, but they never get it.

edit - I actually like some Grado headphones a lot. I've owned 3 of them. Just think every decision the Grado company makes is an insult to its customers, and they do absolutely nothing to advance headphone technology. Their good headphones were all made several years ago. Now they are like Taco Bell - put together the same ingredients in a slightly different way and call it a new menu item.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #539 of 1,221
Well I have to say Alessandro variants are superior to the official Grado offerings; in terms for bang for the buck mainly. It's funny you say this, because you're partially right. People come into the audio store I work at trying the Grado headphones on the wall. And they keep swapping sr60,80 and 125's, looking for a difference. But despite some of their inconveniances such as comfort, durability and innovation; I still enjoy the Grado sound, as it is completely unique.

Quote:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 13, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #540 of 1,221

Quote:

Incredible? Are you kidding? So, it's merely overpriced instead of extremely overpriced. All of Grado's headphones except the SR-60 (heard them all) are extremely overpriced compared to headphones with similar sound quality. For example the RS-1 at $700 is not quite as good as the HD-600 and K-701 at $300.

I do share your critizisme on various decisions Grado makes, but I've had all 3 a.o. and RS1i is the VERY clear winner of these 3 for me.
That said, I must admit that I personally perceive both HD-600 and K-701 as pretty overrated mid-end headphones. (HD-650 and K500/501 beat them for my taste).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back