Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Oct 14, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #556 of 1,221

Quote:
When is grado going to offer pads that don't need to be replaced by Sennheiser pads?

I would have agreed with you a few months ago, but for whatever reason my SR225i bowl pads aren't nearly as uncomfortable as they were on my SR125s.

I think Grado should include instructions to slowly and gently bend the headband till the headphones are no longer uncomfortable. The bowl pads sound great, but the main comfort problem always comes from the driver mesh cover touching the back tips of peoples' ears.. if you bend the headband a bit they totally change as far as comfort goes.

As for the PS500.. I can't see spending $600 on them over RS1s simply for the hybrid design style. If they really have a low end to kill for with the same separation and warmth as the RS1s, then maybe!

$600 is a ton of cash to drop on cans. I'd want to hear them first. I personally believe spending over $200 on a pair of headphones before hearing them is a great recipe for disappointment. I'd never drop that kind of cash unless I got to demo a pair.

Kinda sad.. a lot of the high end audio equipment stores are gone now.

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #557 of 1,221

Quote:
Am I the only one who finds Grado bowl pads very comfortable? I even replaced the comfies on my SR-60 with bowls! I don't think they are scratchy.

I'm with you! I like the bowls over the comfortable foams. You'd think the comfies would soften the brightness of Grado headphones but really they do the opposite by moving the driver farther away from your ears, thus reducing overall sound pressure, thus making the low end drop out more.. so you just get a head full of highs.

I love my bowls on my 225s.. however, I love my HD414 pads on my SR125s. They seem to work very well with that set.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #558 of 1,221
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #560 of 1,221

I keep asking also, seems most that are posting from canjam are only interestedin the LCD3. I really want to hear some impressions since I preordered them.
Quote:
Has anyone got a chance to listen to them? It seems they are on this year's CanJam.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315620_10150854100370507_729935506_20628994_294753721_n.jpg

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #561 of 1,221
Hey all,
I contacted grado labs in reference to how the ps500's compare to the hf2, and this is the response I got:

Hi JP,
the sound signature is very similar, PS500 has a little more dynamic range and a little more extension in the lower register.

They also stated in another email that the construction is similar, which we all could figure out. I'm debating whether to purchase these, I like to listen to music on the go and don't use amps.  So I would be driving these with an iPhone 4 or macbook air 11.  Gotta decide if it would be worth it for me to purchase.

JP

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #562 of 1,221
I sold the ps500's today to a customer. Opened it from the box for him, and he was so hooked, I couldn't even get a listen! Oh well, I'll have my time. But what's good news, is that he took them even if the badly done lettering kind of disappointed him.

They must sound really good!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 15, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #563 of 1,221

whats wrong with the lettering?
Quote:
I sold the ps500's today to a customer. Opened it from the box for him, and he was so hooked, I couldn't even get a listen! Oh well, I'll have my time. But what's good news, is that he took them even if the badly done lettering kind of disappointed him.

They must sound really good!

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #564 of 1,221
An enhanced edition of HF2 obviously....
rolleyes.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #567 of 1,221
Looks absolutely fine on this unit

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #568 of 1,221
Early impressions from Todd's TTVJ pair (<100 hours on them):

**Lots of detail, like a good monitoring can.
**Not sure on the bass, maybe too lite but could be break-in related.
**Kinda smooth in a way.
**Good instrumentation separation.
**Like the engraved gray metal look.

Listened to them on the Butte and one of the larger Apex amps and Meridian G08 CD as source.  Enjoyed the discussion with Todd as well.  Will spend more time with them tomorrow with some more hours from another day of Can Jam use.

P.S.  Good panel discussion on portable audio.  Many thanks Jude and John.  :)

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #569 of 1,221

Anyone seen this?

PS500's and cheese anyone?

The appear to be chromed not matte.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #570 of 1,221

Quote:
Early impressions from Todd's TTVJ pair (<100 hours on them):

**Lots of detail, like a good monitoring can.
**Not sure on the bass, maybe too lite but could be break-in related.
**Kinda smooth in a way.
**Good instrumentation separation.
**Like the engraved gray metal look.

Listened to them on the Butte and one of the larger Apex amps and Meridian G08 CD as source.  Enjoyed the discussion with Todd as well.  Will spend more time with them tomorrow with some more hours from another day of Can Jam use.

P.S.  Good panel discussion on portable audio.  Many thanks Jude and John.  :)

What pads were you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back